DerrickHenrysCleats

Josh Gordon 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[We are re-opening this thread on a provisional basis, with an increased focus on keeping the discussion on topic and manageable.  This means that if your comment is not 100% germane to Josh Gordon's fantasy outlook, it is subject to removal, and you will be subject to warning and/or suspension of posting privileges.  There will be no courtesy warnings.  Please contribute to a meaningful fantasy football discussion, or take your commentary elsewhere.]

Message added by tonycpsu

On 11/5/2018 at 5:44 AM, dashoe said:

He didn't lose a step, people are not processing the play properly from catch to end zone

1.he slowed down on his route to catch a the ball thrown behind him at the 40

2. stopped accelerating to break a tackle,

3. theres not a single defender ahead of him 

4. he took 8 strides to put more distance between him and the 2 pursuers AS HE WAS RUNNING ON AN ANGLE TOWARDS THE SIDELINE which was in a direction away from the tv camera

5. he jogged it in at the 20

Josh wasn't in a full on sprint to score a td because the pursuit slowed down at the 30 and stopped at the 20.  So from the 40-30  which was 10 yds he went from a full stop to accelerating enough to beat the defense.

People do realize this is a 6'3 225lb man running not 5'7 tareek cohen?

You guys are looking for anything to cling too when it comes to knocking down Gordon as an elite athlete.

All Gordon  has done since he came to the Pats is bail out Brady and help them win games with big plays. . .:lol:

Ok so now that he's fully healthy is finally going to run at full speed?

11 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

Uh, yeah I agree lol. It’s really hard for anyone to come in and learn a new playbook mid season, let alone someone that missed training camp with personal issues. Playing Gordon every week with confidence, as I was already. I still think he hasn’t looked like himself, and I thought he did in 17. 19 will be his real comeback dominant “I only need 14 games to best AB” tour

People also have to understand Brady. He bitches... at his own receivers without mercy. It isn't the playbook routes on paper. They can get that. But when there are certain coverages, they need to feel it and adjust. The pats playbook isnt crazy as people think. But the reads on coverage and how to adjust is extremely difficult. My guess is Brady hasn't seen yet enough to trust Gordon. But my guess is, by playoff time Brady will test him. And Brady wants number 6 more than his or anyone else's ff stats. So we are in the middle ground. Could go either way. I'm benching him in my work league. He was at flex. I'm going in on Fornettes at flex. I think bright things are ahead. Just give her a couple weeks before consistency sets in. Boom bust right now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

People also have to understand Brady. He bitches... at his own receivers without mercy. It isn't the playbook routes on paper. They can get that. But when there are certain coverages, they need to feel it and adjust. The pats playbook isnt crazy as people think. But the reads on coverage and how to adjust is extremely difficult.

That's exactly right.  The Patriots are all about nuances and subtle adjustments.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cs3 said:

It depends on if he needs to. Still haven't seen anyone run him down from behind yet.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cs3 said:

u get extra points for scoring a TD at full sprint?:huh:

Gordon looked awesome last game and has looked awesome all year. People that are parroting that he looks slow have an agenda. He is a monster and bodies just seem to fall off of him after the catch. You don't have to look fast to some dweebs on the internet to be fast lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newtown said:

Parting ways was best for both gordon and the browns. after being in that s--- show for that long id be on drugs myself

• Haha 2

on Bill Belichick Mic'd Up, he asks Brady "who were you throwing to" on the supposedly broken play to Josh Gordon. Brady responds, "To Josh". 

2 hours ago, Newtown said:

It depends on if he needs to. Still haven't seen anyone run him down from behind yet.

If I can't see literal bolts of lightning coming from him when he sprints he clearly isn't going fast enough for my fantasy team.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CABLE87 said:

on Bill Belichick Mic'd Up, he asks Brady "who were you throwing to" on the supposedly broken play to Josh Gordon. Brady responds, "To Josh". 

Edelman could have never caught that ball. He dropped a few earlier in that game. That's just bill being bill. He's trying to put more heat on Gordon. He will use him as decoy and the destroy with edelman, Gronk, and white in the middle. He is tactical. Obvious. 

26 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Edelman could have never caught that ball. He dropped a few earlier in that game. That's just bill being bill. He's trying to put more heat on Gordon. He will use him as decoy and the destroy with edelman, Gronk, and white in the middle. He is tactical. Obvious. 

You mean Edelman Michel and White gronk hasn’t done anything all season 

Edited by Chargers88

8 hours ago, Panthers8912 said:

U actually are wrong. Play a couple of games ago where he was caught from behind. I get he wasn’t running full speed on the play u described 

Ok, well, I'll personally chalk that one down to lack of playing and practicing. From the trade, to his hammy, to his drug rehab at the start of the season, to really being a non-participant in football altogether for almost three years. Now that he has some games (with full snap counts) under his belt, he is getting better each week (stats are proof) and seems to be getting his legs back. I say, stay patient; we are yet to see the best of JG this season. In addition, Gronk really seems like he's going to be limited by injuries and/or as a decoy moving forward (I personally think this is his last season in NE). So what better time for Gordon to redeem himself than the postseason :o 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

What?

1 minute ago, collucho said:

Guys, he's no longer questionable, time to up our projections.

14/300/3

Those are my "limited participation" projections....

• Haha 1

My thoughts on why he hasn't sprinted at times the way we expect him to:  he can't...not until he removes the inhibitor (thigh sleeve). Just an assumption, but having personally experienced the effects of a thigh sleeve during all out exertion, it prevents one from fully striding out. I have looked at video to see if a sleeve is noticeable, but I can't tell. The only "evidence" (while slim) I have seen of Gordon's lack of speed being the result of the injury, and subsequent "inhibitor" is the hitch in his stride on the 50yd TD week 9. It happened when he tried to separate from the defender(s); he seemed to lack the ability to fully extend, and therefore his overall speed is inhibited. *check it out for yourself :shrug:

With him no longer on the injury report, maybe now he is truly healthy to the point they remove the "inhibitor," and we see full extension in his stride when he opens up..............................................Flash is back!

12 hours ago, ohio#1eaglesfan said:

Gordon looked awesome last game and has looked awesome all year. People that are parroting that he looks slow have an agenda. He is a monster and bodies just seem to fall off of him after the catch. You don't have to look fast to some dweebs on the internet to be fast lol. 

Im an Eagles fan as well, and remember this "isn't fast enough" criticism of Jeff Carter when he played for the Flyers. Carter was big, had long strides and was able to skate so effortlessly that a good number of fans bitched because it didn't look like he was trying hard enough. I think the same can be applied to Gordon. The guy is big and is such a natural athlete that he doesn't ever really look like he's trying, but he's dominating people. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr.STD said:

Im an Eagles fan as well, and remember this "isn't fast enough" criticism of Jeff Carter when he played for the Flyers. Carter was big, had long strides and was able to skate so effortlessly that a good number of fans bitched because it didn't look like he was trying hard enough. I think the same can be applied to Gordon. The guy is big and is such a natural athlete that he doesn't ever really look like he's trying, but he's dominating people. 

I think this is part of it as well. The man is effortless when flowing past and pulling away from defenders...smoooooooth.

Considering the Pats have players on the injury report if they hit their toe on the coffee table, I think it's significant that he's listed as fully healthy now.

Aside from the BYE, I have no intention on taking him out of my starting lineup at any point this season.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 11:26 AM, JJ1223 said:

Considering the Pats have players on the injury report if they hit their toe on the coffee table, I think it's significant that he's listed as fully healthy now.

Aside from the BYE, I have no intention on taking him out of my starting lineup at any point this season.

Yeah, we aren't benching Tom Brady's starting WR's ever. 

Im keeping him in there next week too.  If anyone can go OFF on a bye, Its Josh Gordon!

Edited by Funkenstein
  • Haha 1