DerrickHenrysCleats

Josh Gordon 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[We are re-opening this thread on a provisional basis, with an increased focus on keeping the discussion on topic and manageable.  This means that if your comment is not 100% germane to Josh Gordon's fantasy outlook, it is subject to removal, and you will be subject to warning and/or suspension of posting privileges.  There will be no courtesy warnings.  Please contribute to a meaningful fantasy football discussion, or take your commentary elsewhere.]

Message added by tonycpsu

6 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

I'm debating your use of the word "serious". We all deal with mental health issues. 

Anxiety, stress, depression, eating disorders, addiction, OCD. The list goes on. 

I don't think he is dealing with anything "serious". A mental health issue? Sure. A serious one? No.

Right? Does he know how many people are on xanex/perc/oxy/adderall/other pharmaceuticals? It's RIDICULOUS 

Also a huge opiate crisis here but that's probably not a discussion for a player outlook lol

OUTLOOK

80/1250/8 let's get it!!!

Edited by bhawks489
  • Like 2

[Guys, there's a whole wide world outside of this thread that I encourage you to spend time visiting if you can't help yourself but take cheap shots at other people.]

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, dashoe said:

And let's see what an OVERWEIGHT and OUT OF SHAPE Flash in preseason does who won't get alot of volume like a slot wr

I see ZERO body control or route adjustment there....

anigif_original-18928-1445597237-2.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, miasma16 said:

I'm not interpreting anything, you're ignoring facts to support your world view. Pretty ironic in this discussion, actually. 

Gordon isn't practicing because he has mental health issues. He's already confirmed as much to the media. It's simply naive of you to think that there's nothing there just because he scotch taped a bow to his statement later. It's just sad that you or anybody else aren't taking it seriously, and stating that the "majority of adults" are dealing with what he's dealing with. It's false. 

Actually he is practicing but he is not practicing in training camp. He stated his reasons were for his personal progression not that he was having problems with mental health. Infact he states his mental health is fine and his absence from camp is part of his treatment. . 

QUOTES:

"I am reaching out to you all personally and letting you know that I am not only doing great physically but mentally as well."

"You will notice that I will not be in Cleveland for the start of training camp. Rest assured, this, too, is a part of my overall health and treatment plan."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Actually he is practicing but he is not practicing in training camp. He stated his reasons were for his personal progression not that he was having problems with mental health. Infact he states his mental health is fine and his absence from camp is part of his treatment. . 

QUOTES:

"I am reaching out to you all personally and letting you know that I am not only doing great physically but mentally as well."

"You will notice that I will not be in Cleveland for the start of training camp. Rest assured, this, too, is a part of my overall health and treatment plan."

Until we hear otherwise this really should be the end of this part of the discussion. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

QUOTES:

I may be a overly optimistic but I'm actually more confident based on how he seems to be getting out in front of his issues instead of resorting to the easy way out

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

I may be a overly optimistic but I'm actually more confident based on how he seems to be getting out in front of his issues instead of resorting to the easy way out

I look at it the same i look at a vet who doesnt report to trainining camp because of contract issues (leveon Bell) but he really wants the extra time before the grind of the season. bell and his agent know exactly what the steelers position is with regards to his contract so the fake "holding out" every season is just an excuse to avoid the grind of camp.  Josh is training but I think is avoiding the current hard knocks circus because it will disrupt his treatment process. Say what you want about the influence of hard knocks,  like all 'reality" shows they need good guys and bad guys for ratings, they need predictable characters and personalities that you can root for and hate and feel sorry for.  Also people tend to play it up or shrink when they know a camera is on them. That's not a positive environment for a person who needs focus and regimen in their life.

So I believe his statement that missing early training camp was a predetermined part of his treatment because Hard Knocks is mandatory for teams so  he couldnt say months ago he would not appear on it because it would have created massive controversey, so he and his support team decided to wait until training camp started to avoid all of the drama that would cme from announcing too early. This gives cover to the NFL and the Browns because they can say we support Josh but we can't comment on his treatment situation vs explaining why Josh would be excused from hard Knocks and set a precedent for future players to use similar excuses.

I think Josh will probably return when the filming is towards the end and the show is wrapping up the storylines. 

Edited by dashoe
  • Like 4

‘Because he’s on the reserve/did not report list, a failure by Gordon to report by August 7 will keep him from earning a year of credit toward free agency. Which will continue to keep him at only two years of credit toward free agency. And that will tie him to the Browns at least through 2019.’

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/05/josh-gordon-may-end-up-an-exclusive-rights-free-agent-next-year-too/

16 minutes ago, Onyx said:

‘Because he’s on the reserve/did not report list, a failure by Gordon to report by August 7 will keep him from earning a year of credit toward free agency. Which will continue to keep him at only two years of credit toward free agency. And that will tie him to the Browns at least through 2019.’

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/05/josh-gordon-may-end-up-an-exclusive-rights-free-agent-next-year-too/

Good lord, I hope this doesn't happen.  He would have already been a FA if he hadn't partied with Manziel at the end of that one year.  Guy is never going to become a FA or get paid.

• Like 1

I took that as he will be reporting to camp on Aug 7th. He had to show up to camp eventually (right?), looks like nfl just chose the date for him

29 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

I took that as he will be reporting to camp on Aug 7th. He had to show up to camp eventually (right?), looks like nfl just chose the date for him

let the countdown begins

Updating an earlier report, Josh Gordon will not report to Browns' training camp by Tuesday.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported earlier that Gordon was "getting closer" to making his return, though it doesn't appear he'll be back by Tuesday. Of course, if Gordon doesn't report by that date, which is 30 days before the start of the regular season, he wouldn't be eligible for restricted free agency until 2020. However, the Browns have reportedly "taken measures to ensure" that Gordon won't be hurt by Tuesday's deadline. While his teammates have been at camp, the 27-year-old has been seeing a counselor while training on his own in Gainesville, Florida.

Well that was short lived...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

Well that was short lived...

Wow ok, sounds like the browns “really want gordon to get the help he needs” aka want to **** him over and prevent him from getting a normal contract till he’s 37. Can’t say I’m surprised. They suspended him for one game at the end of the season years ago for the same reason

So it's back to normal,  no need to get tripped out with technicalities in contracts and policies.

When the Browns placed Gordon on the list at the start of camp, they had already worked through Tuesday's deadline with the NFL so that Gordon isn't hurt from a contractual standpoint by not showing up on Tuesday. Mike Florio of profootballtalk.com first pointed out that Gordon would technically be ineligible for restricted free agency after 2018 and unrestricted free agency after 2019 if he doesn't report by Tuesday.

Gordon's immediate future is in the hands of his medical team.

So in a nutshell this situation is being categorized as a sort of medical waiver exception with league approval

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

So browns trade Coleman bc they have zero faith in gordon? Explain this to me gordon haters

Because it clears room for them to sign Dez. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

As a Dallas fan, Dez is an absolute fungus.  Not to mention, his skills have deteriorated bigly.  If the Browns do sign him, they're dumber than I ...... oh, nevermind. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Because it clears room for them to sign Dez. 

That’s kinda funny, but also it could be true. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

That’s kinda funny, but also it could be true. 

It COULD be the reason the traded Coleman, or it could be that they know Gordon is returning soon and have no need for a mediocre talent on the roster that wasn't drafted/liked by the current regime. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

It COULD be the reason the traded Coleman, or it could be that they know Gordon is returning soon and have no need for a mediocre talent on the roster that wasn't drafted/liked by the current regime. 

Pretty ignorant to describe the 2016 15th overall pick as a mediocre talent. Not even a necessary falsity for furthering your point. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dashoe said:

When the Browns placed Gordon on the list at the start of camp, they had already worked through Tuesday's deadline with the NFL

Right, and the good news is that the Browns are great with deadlines. No problems there.
oops-gif-17.gif

• Like 1