Rolling Thunder

Jameis Winston 2018 Outlook

5 hours ago, devaster said:

Fitz scored the highest ever for a QB and has not been very good his entire career. 186/141 TD/INT ratio. Also has 70 fumbles.

Fitz never had the caliber of weapons on offense as he does now though.

8 hours ago, DezedandConfused said:

Fitz never had the caliber of weapons on offense as he does now though.

I'm not trying to say that Fitz isn't a better fit for the Bucs offense than Winston, but Fitz is who he is. He is eventually going to melt down again and start turning the ball over at the same rate or worse than Winston.

Starting Fitz in my other league for now though.

• Like 1

The only QB who is capable of turning it over more than Winston has this season is Nathan Peterman.

6 minutes ago, devaster said:

I'm not trying to say that Fitz isn't a better fit for the Bucs offense than Winston, but Fitz is who he is. He is eventually going to melt down again and start turning the ball over at the same rate or worse than Winston.

Starting Fitz in my other league for now though.

Yeah, you don't have a career he's had and then all of a sudden put up MVP numbers for a full season at his age. He will do well, just not the crazy numbers he put up in the first few games of the season. He will turn the ball over like he did against Pittsburgh and he won't throw 50 times in a game again. That Steelers game was nice from a fantasy perspective, but he threw it 50 times putting up a ton of yards to go along with his TDs and INTs. The good thing though is he isn't fumbling or way off target on his throws like Winston. Winston literally will throw it to a defender like he's one of his teammates.

Edited by FitzMagic

Anyone from the TB area have any insights if this putting him in bubble wrap to keep from being on the hook next year is legit? 

It makes sense because the guy is obviously a turd and they should move on. But maybe the front office has some faith or weird attachment to him and he will get another chance this year? 

I have him in 2 superflex leagues with deep benches so there are no other options on the WW and I am hurting for a good 2nd QB option. Am deciding if I should keep holding on or cut the cord. 

1 minute ago, nromn said:

Anyone from the TB area have any insights if this putting him in bubble wrap to keep from being on the hook next year is legit? 

These kinds of things don't really happen and its more of a clickbait talking point for the internet than anything the TB FO is actually ordering their coaching staff to do.  

Jameis wants to start again this year and Dirk has already said he will get 'another chance' at some point.  

1 minute ago, Zak0221 said:

These kinds of things don't really happen and its more of a clickbait talking point for the internet than anything the TB FO is actually ordering their coaching staff to do.  

Jameis wants to start again this year and Dirk has already said he will get 'another chance' at some point.  

Thanks, I have not heard the "another chance" comment. Is that recent? Sounds like I need to hold on I guess. 

12 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

Can't edit my last comment, but keeping JW as far away from the field as possible makes sense from all involved. The coach is fighting for his job and JW is a loser and Fitz gives them a much better chance to win. The FO should realize JW is not the answer and they should move on ASAP, which would mean not wanting to be on the hook for his salary. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nromn said:

Thanks, I have not heard the "another chance" comment. Is that recent? Sounds like I need to hold on I guess. 

Was in a link from the previous week after the Cincy game leading up to Week 9.  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/10/29/fitzpatrick-in-winston-out-as-buccaneers-starting-qb/38324189/

"I don't like switching quarterbacks. That's not in my makeup," Koetter said, noting the way Fitzpatrick played Sunday, as well as while Winston was serving his three-game suspension, made the call easier.

"Very rarely is switching quarterbacks forever. ... Jameis will get another chance at some point," the coach added, "and when he does he just needs to do a better job of taking care of the football."

"For us, this week is long-term,'' Koetter said. "I mean next Sunday is as long-term…I don't even know who we play after Carolina. So that's a fact. Long-term is this Sunday.''

Koetter still refers Jameis as TB's starter here so 'switching forever'  is referring to changing the teams starting QB officially rather than a weekly assessment.  In fact, TB's official depth chart still lists Jameis as the starting QB.  It is very obvious for those who are not just looking at box scores that Koetter is picking the weekly QB that he feels has the best chance at winning the game in hopes to save his job in TB.  If he somehow gets the Bucs to win several in a row they could sneak back into the playoff hunt and maybe get a contract extension for next year.  Once that goes out the window however as the Bucs are a terrible team, they will most likely go back to Jameis because his turnovers won't matter then because they are playing for nothing anymore and Dirk will accept his fate.  He has even said it himself.

"At the same time, Jameis Winston is the guy that’s going to be here way longer than I am.”

Edited by Zak0221
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nromn said:

Can't edit my last comment, but keeping JW as far away from the field as possible makes sense from all involved. The coach is fighting for his job and JW is a loser and Fitz gives them a much better chance to win. The FO should realize JW is not the answer and they should move on ASAP, which would mean not wanting to be on the hook for his salary. 

This is the internet's narrative.  Read my post above and the coaches actual words. 

I have explained this situation over and over again, it's currently solely about weekly winning for this coaching staff.  If Fitz gives them a shadow of a doubt in terms of getting a W, Jameis will get put into the game.  They understand Jameis is likely to turn the ball over so they don't really want to do that, but Fitz will give them no choice if he has a poor showing any Sunday and TB needs to find a way to leave with a W. 

Also if they continue to lose in general and the playoffs sinks further away, they will have 0 reason to keep trotting out their backup QB despite how good of statistics he is putting up.  They will not keep Winston in bubblewrap because of an injury clause, that is not how things work when he is paid starters money for THIS season. 

Edited by Zak0221

Here’s how I see it:

Short Term: The Bucs are a bad football team who will more than likely fall out of the NFC playoff hunt in the next 3-4 weeks. Once that happens what incentive do the Bucs have to start Fitz over Winston? If you are struggling at QB and have the roster space to take a chance on someone, who if reinserted into the lineup will be a QB1 why wouldn’t you.

Long Term: Koetter is gone after this year and probably Licht as well. Typically when you take a QB 1st overall and he doesn’t pan out, you won’t be lasting long as GM of that team. But Licht has the ability to save his job if Winston plays well at the end of the year and proves he’s a long term QB.

Now if Tampa is done with Winston and they want a full reset there are a bunch of teams who could possibly take him IMO those are PIT?, JAX, NE?, MIA, OAK, DEN, WAS? And NYG. So if you are a dynasty/keeper owner I wouldn’t panic as there are a lot of teams who could use a QB and they aren’t that many good QBs who readily become available.

Edited by Ddam2013
  • Like 1

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-news-fantasy-football-benched-buccaneers-qb-jameis-winston-real-chance-play-again-season-ryan-fitzpatrick/xbuzqqd8lfid1b5bhlurmkxwj

Don't let Winston sit on waivers if you are in a deep league with large benches struggling for QB pts.  He very well could be their QB the final several weeks of the season if not sooner depending on FItzmagic lasting.  As I have been saying in this thread which people love to dismiss, the F.O has paid Jameis starters money THIS season.  They want to see him and make a decision if they will take the plunge and pay him for next year IE new contract.  They can't make this assessment without seeing him on the field and that's exactly what this article surmises.  The injury clause narrative to keep Jameis benched is not a reality and it is only a talking point for fantasy forums and fans.  

• Sad 1

How do we feel about this guy from a dynasty perspective? Like many have said, he has the raw talent but makes a lot of bonehead decisions. Bottom line is he is a very good fantasy an, just not a real life qb. I don’t feel confident he will be back in TB next year. I feel we are obligated to hold, just to see where he goes.

1 minute ago, Unbreakable said:

How do we feel about this guy from a dynasty perspective? 

Poison pill that can eat up somebody else's roster spot.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Unbreakable said:

How do we feel about this guy from a dynasty perspective? 

Soon to be relegated to the career backup that he is

• Like 1

lousy QB, despicable human ... passing on Mariota to be the face of the franchise was a yuuuuuge mistake. 

(yeahyeahyeah, i know Crabs had the whole Florida connection, but still - AWFUL)  

10 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

lousy QB, despicable human ... passing on Mariota to be the face of the franchise was a yuuuuuge mistake. 

(yeahyeahyeah, i know Crabs had the whole Florida connection, but still - AWFUL)  

I've only followed from afar, but at least TB knows to move on and doesn't have to sink big money into this lug long term. Im thinking TEN will give MM a big extension based on a minimal amount of success and he will never live up to it and they will be stuck with him for years to come.

Edited by nromn

5 minutes ago, nromn said:

I've only followed from afar, but at least TB knows to move on and doesn't have to sink big money into this lug long term. Im thinking TEN will give MM a big extension based on a minimal amount of success and he will never live up to it and they will be stuck with him for years to come.

has MM ever had the caliber of offensive talent surrounding him that Crabs has/had?

yeah, didn't think so. 

8 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

has MM ever had the caliber of offensive talent surrounding him that Crabs has/had?

yeah, didn't think so. 

What does that have to do with what Im talking about? Im not saying MM isn't better. Im saying MM is not a franchise QB, but they will likely treat him like one. So in a way its a blessing to be able to move on.  Not to mention MM is brittle and his only redeeming quality requires he put himself in harms way.

Anyways, my point is I don't think TB fans are forever regretting the day they chose JW over MM.

Edited by nromn

5 minutes ago, nromn said:

What does that have to do with what Im talking about? Im not saying MM isn't better. Im saying MM is not a franchise QB, but they will likely treat him like one. So in a way its a blessing to be able to move on.  Not to mention MM is brittle and his only redeeming quality requires he put himself in harms way.

Anyways, my point is I don't think TB fans are forever regretting the day they chose JW over MM.

MM has made the playoffs with marginal talent surrounding him, Crabby has failed in a far superior incubator. 

that doesn't matter to fans/front office?  ok. 

mah bad. 

7 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

MM has made the playoffs with marginal talent surrounding him, Crabby has failed in a far superior incubator. 

that doesn't matter to fans/front office?  ok. 

mah bad. 

Ahh, so you choose your favorite QBs based on what horsesheet division they happen to be a part of? Makes sense.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nromn said:

Ahh, so you choose your favorite QBs based on what horsesheet division they happen to be a part of? Makes sense.

YES I LOVE HIM OK THE SECRET IS OUT ME AND CLEATS LUV THE TITANS. 

VIVA LE AFC SOUTH! 

LIKE, FOREVAH!!!1!11!1!1!

• Haha 1

This thread can probably be closed. He's not going to play in 2018 unless Fitz has a season ending injury because Winston's contract next year isn't guaranteed next year unless he himself gets injured. Bucks aren't going to roll him out this year and put him in jeopardy of a season ending injury where they are forced to keep and pay him next year. Winston will not be on the Bucks next year.