garlando

Luiz Gohara 2018 Outlook

Excellent stuff on Gohara - I mentioned him a couple of times too as a guy I really like as an upside K arm you can get very late. You're most likely looking an in innings limit -still very young (turns 22 in july) and I believe he threw somewhere around 150 or so total innings last year. He does have control issues so he may hurt your whip but for where he is going its well worth the risk imo I always like taking on shot on guys who can miss bats 

• Like 1

He is a guy I love this year who skyrocketed through the Braves system last year. Started in Single A and pitched at every level to eventually end in the big leagues last year. He has incredible stuff and has command of it, which is pretty rare for a 21 year old. I'm not concerned with innings limit at all as he threw 153 innings last year. If Braves add the usual 30 IP to that number, he will sit at 183 innings. If he throws that many innings, he will have a very good chance to reach 200 K. Maybe they will start him in AAA, but they started his service clock last year so there isn't a huge incentive to hold him back this year. Braves do have a lot of guys in the starting rotation mix, but, if he shows signs in Spring Training it would be hard to leave him off the team. Hopefully the picture gets a little more clear by March.

3 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

He is a guy I love this year who skyrocketed through the Braves system last year. Started in Single A and pitched at every level to eventually end in the big leagues last year. He has incredible stuff and has command of it, which is pretty rare for a 21 year old. I'm not concerned with innings limit at all as he threw 153 innings last year. If Braves add the usual 30 IP to that number, he will sit at 183 innings. If he throws that many innings, he will have a very good chance to reach 200 K. Maybe they will start him in AAA, but they started his service clock last year so there isn't a huge incentive to hold him back this year. Braves do have a lot of guys in the starting rotation mix, but, if he shows signs in Spring Training it would be hard to leave him off the team. Hopefully the picture gets a little more clear by March.

I think there is a great opportunity to bank on the perceived uncertainty here heading into spring for those who draft early- I absolutely love his chance at cracking the rotation Folty, Sims, Newcomb really weren't all that impressive so given his stuff and the lack of competition I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the cut. I picked him up the tail end of last year and streamed him against I think it was the Marlins - I was able to watch some of the start and I was really impressed with his stuff I mean he's got legit swing and miss stuff like the OP mentioned. His final line was bad - think he got into some trouble in the 6th couple of walks and the bullpen allowed them to score so the final line was ugly. Anyways I love this guy as a value pick - I think he's a no brainer for where he's going now. 

I have a sneaking suspicious his hype is going to slowly creep up these next few months, killing any value in competitive leagues

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Like 2

He reminds me of a young CC Sabathia, not just body type but stuff as well

• Like 1

Atlanta has a lot of young arms with potential. Gohara certainly is one of them. There will be quite a battle for SP4 & SP5 spots between Folty, Newcomb and Gohara. Also, with Kolby Allard, Kyle Wright and Mike Soroka in the minors it will be interesting how it all plays out.

Gohara ranked 23rd overall prospect by Baseball America. Braves 2nd prospect behind Acuna (who was #1 in the top 100.) The hype is picking up steam!

is Gohara going to make the rotation? right now it looks like the Braves have other options. Teheran, Newcomb, Foltynewicz, McCarthy? Kazmir?

25 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

is Gohara going to make the rotation? right now it looks like the Braves have other options. Teheran, Newcomb, Foltynewicz, McCarthy? Kazmir?

very good question and something I thought of too-  I suspect he will just based on talent and also considering Kazmir and McCarthy's very spotty health history. I wouldn't worry too much about those guys. I think if you're drafting early in your league you can use the perceived uncertainty as leverage. Though as mentioned earlier in sharp leagues Gohara's adp will be creeping up as we head closer to opening day. 

54 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Not sure about Kazmir

two of Kazmir, newcomb, gohara, wisler, fried, sims, Blair make it 

I personally think he'll start in AAA, but he'll grab 15-20 GS (at least) due to the inevitable injuries to McCarthy and Kazmir. McCarthy threw 200.0 IP in 2014...180.0 since then. Aside from 2014, he's thrown more than 145 innings twice in his professional career. Kazmir is good for 25-30 starts, but he's going to miss time due to injury if his career is any indication. 

3 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

I'd bet he won't.    And I still plan to draft him in every league.    

Looks like he is getting a rotation spot

Gohara is expected to win a spot in the Braves' rotation out of camp, David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports.

Julio Teheran, Mike Foltynewicz and Brandon McCarthy are assured spots in the rotation, so Gohara will be competing with Sean Newcomb, Max Fried and Scott Kazmir for the final two spots. Gohara is easily the most appealing for fantasy purposes out of those contenders, as he has the hardest fastball (96.5 mph) in the game among left-handed starting pitchers, along with a quality breaking ball and developing changeup. He will completely dominate left-handed hitters, but will need to improve against righties in order to someday pitch atop a rotation. Gohara's NFBC ADP (282.1) figures to continue to gradually trend up as Opening Day approaches.

• Like 1

I'd say Newcomb would be favored to get the 4th spot and we can but hope Gohara beats out chopped liver and old folks for the remaining spot.  But you always have to worry about "vet respect" stuff rearing it's ugly head.  Probably not here because Kazmir isn't some "beloved Brave" who has been on the team for years.  But it ain't locked in until it is locked in for Gohara.  I mean I think he comes out of ST as a starter but then I own a couple of shares of him in dynasty and I want to believe it to be true.

Thanks for article and please keep us updated if you hear more.

• Like 1

M's gave him up for a song.  It's ok though because a) the Ms have tons of MLB quality arms & 2) the Ms farm system is super deep.

Edited by 89Topps
  • Haha 3

On 2/17/2018 at 11:18 PM, 89Topps said:

M's gave him up for a song.  It's ok though because a) the Ms have tons of MLB quality arms & 2) the Ms farm system is super deep.

Lol just came to post the same thing.  Will probably end of being the worst move Dipito ever made.  Hindsight 20/20, just sucks the Mariners literally didn’t get a single inning out of Smyly who they essentially dealt Gohara for.   

Got past the groin issue and now sprained his ankle. I really want to see this dude pitch!

Luiz Gohara (groin) will undergo X-rays after spraining his left ankle during pitcher's fielding practice Friday.

Gohara had been slated for his Grapefruit League debut Sunday after missing time with a groin injury, but now he's got a new ailment to deal with. We will know more about the young left-hander's status later this weekend, but he almost surely will now not be ready for Opening Day.

19 minutes ago, Light Tower Power said:

This dude is just fat.

I get why prospect people hedge and see the bullpen as a possibility long-term.

https://www.myajc.com/sports/baseball/gohara-sprains-ankle-second-injury-spring-for-big-rookie/aHSr9XKoHR7vcU4FE6FDsI/

Yeah getting kind of ridiculous at this point. Like get in shape so you’re not hurting yourself doing basic physical exertion.

14 minutes ago, tywalson said:

Yeah getting kind of ridiculous at this point. Like get in shape so you’re not hurting yourself doing basic physical exertion.

Yeah, luckily Atlanta has positioned themselves very well going forward. They look like a prime candidate to follow the Dodgers and Houston (what I believe they will do this year). Really move to an expanded rotation by abusing the 10-DL and shifting a good deal of the starters into that 150-160 inning threshold, which will help mitigate that bullpen risk and help keep him healthy.

On 3/9/2018 at 3:36 PM, TribeFoo said:

Got past the groin issue and now sprained his ankle. I really want to see this dude pitch!

AJC reports he will likely miss April per David O'Brien.

• Like 1