garlando

Luiz Gohara 2018 Outlook

17 minutes ago, herschel said:

Soroka to the DL plus this.  Could be solid stash....

Max Fried was scratched from his start for Triple-A Gwinnett on Thursday, according to David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

This likely means a promotion is coming for the left-hander, assuming this isn't injury related. The 24-year-old southpaw could be a replacement for Luiz Gohara, who is reportedly going to be sent down in the coming days to be stretched out as a starter.

Makes me worried about Soroka's injury time wise since I was hoping both he and Gohara would do me proud this fantasy season and McCarthy would be out. 

Soroka is already DL'ed on Yahoo so I assume the Braves having made that official will also officially send Gohara down as quickly so he will be NA for us so we can stream someone(s) in the meantime while we wait. 

Please Atlanta, make it so.  There is a nice streamer in the FA pool I want to pick up for tomorrow now.

So Gohara is the likely long term starter over Fried?  It might be time to pick him up if so.

I just read he's pitching Wed, then leaving to be with his mom for at least a week. I'm in a 14 man, so I still added

At Philadelphia is not an easy start, then he'll be away from the team for a bit with an unclear role when he gets back.

I'm a big fan long-term, but not really optimistic that a breakthrough is imminent.

Gohara will travel to Brazil to spend time with his ailing mother after Wednesday's start in Philadelphia, Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports.

The plan had been for Gohara to leave the country Saturday, he opted to delay the trip after being presented with the opportunity to make his first start of the season. Gohara will still spend some time away, approximately one week, and the expectation is that Mike Soroka (shoulder) will be back in the rotation by the time Gohara returns. That said, Gohara can put himself in prime position to make more starts down the road with a strong performance against the Phillies.

the phenom is pitching tomorrow

3 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

the phenom is pitching tomorrow

What are the circumstances?  Spot start that may get him another start?  Is he expected to get a long look?

10 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

What are the circumstances?  Spot start that may get him another start?  Is he expected to get a long look?

soroka should be back by the time gohara gets back from brazil, so probably not, but if he pitches well, anything is possible....

So do people think he rejoins the rotation?

Gohara (personal) is expected to remain on the bereavement list for the full seven days before being activated Friday, David O'Brien of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.

Gohara was officially placed on the bereavement list May 25 after traveling to Brazil to be with his mother, who is recovering from heart surgery. Once Gohara returns to Atlanta, he could need to throw a side session or two to get back in the swing of things after a week-long idle period before the Braves deem him ready to pitch in games. Once that happens, the 21-year-old rookie could work out of the bullpen for the Braves or join the rotation at Triple-A Gwinnett if the organization prefers to keep his arm conditioned for a potential starting role with the big club later on in the season.

14 minutes ago, herschel said:

So do people think he rejoins the rotation?

Gohara (personal) is expected to remain on the bereavement list for the full seven days before being activated Friday, David O'Brien of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.

Gohara was officially placed on the bereavement list May 25 after traveling to Brazil to be with his mother, who is recovering from heart surgery. Once Gohara returns to Atlanta, he could need to throw a side session or two to get back in the swing of things after a week-long idle period before the Braves deem him ready to pitch in games. Once that happens, the 21-year-old rookie could work out of the bullpen for the Braves or join the rotation at Triple-A Gwinnett if the organization prefers to keep his arm conditioned for a potential starting role with the big club later on in the season.

I personally thought he would come back and join the rotation but now I'm concerned.  It will be hard to justify holding on to him if he comes back and joins the bullpen again.  

Gohara will be back on June 1 it seems. I think he will go to AAA to start as a precautionary because Brandon McCarthy's last outing wasn't great. If McCarthy falters again a few more times we could definitely see Gohara taking McCarthy's spot mid or late June. 

I have 2 die hard braves fans in my league and they'll overpay to get a Brave and neither will touch this guy even as a random throw in(I'm trying to clear roster space, not expecting to clinch a deal).  

My analysis, I don't believe this year and I don't believe next year. Jerry Dipoto may be trade crazy but looks like he did okay on moving Gohara and unrelated to the person at hand but in Tyler O'Neil as well. 

1 hour ago, myzto said:

I have 2 die hard braves fans in my league and they'll overpay to get a Brave and neither will touch this guy even as a random throw in(I'm trying to clear roster space, not expecting to clinch a deal).  

My analysis, I don't believe this year and I don't believe next year. Jerry Dipoto may be trade crazy but looks like he did okay on moving Gohara and unrelated to the person at hand but in Tyler O'Neil as well. 

The O'Neill for Gonzalez trade is turning out surprisingly well, but they got no one that has done anything for them in return for Gohara.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 89Topps said:

The O'Neill for Gonzalez trade is turning out surprisingly well, but they got no one that has done anything for them in return for Gohara.

They got Smyly for Gohara and Braves gave up Mallex Smith to get Gohara.  Braves have basically 6-7 years of equity with Gohara.  Mallex Smith sucks, and Smyly didn’t throw a pitch as a Mariner in regular season.  Loved Marco deal at time.  O’Neill was drafted by Zdurencik I figured he’d be another human windmill.  That was a great trade.

13 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

They got Smyly for Gohara and Braves gave up Mallex Smith to get Gohara.  Braves have basically 6-7 years of equity with Gohara.  Mallex Smith sucks, and Smyly didn’t throw a pitch as a Mariner in regular season.  Loved Marco deal at time.  O’Neill was drafted by Zdurencik I figured he’d be another human windmill.  That was a great trade.

Shae Simmons was part of that Gohara deal too.  I think he's pitched around a half a dozen innings for Seattle.

54 minutes ago, pjoner said:

anyone still stashing this guy in 12 teamers?

As a Braves fan i'm kind of surprised he hasn't been stretched out and for now i'm simply watching.  I can't believe they will continue to run out Anibal Sanchez for much longer but Teheran is about to come off the DL, McCarthy is sucking...Soroka did just claim a roster spot likely for rest of the way.

I find it very hard to believe they don't want him starting eventually *this* year but he had the injury issue/slow start then the bereavement thing... I get the sense they are just taking it very slow with him.  I'm not stashing yet but I am monitoring closely.

Braves best rotation should not include McCarthy or Sanchez however and they are in the thick of the playoff race...

Edited by LJJr

16 minutes ago, LJJr said:

As a Braves fan i'm kind of surprised he hasn't been stretched out and for now i'm simply watching.  I can't believe they will continue to run out Anibal Sanchez for much longer but Teheran is about to come off the DL, McCarthy is sucking...Soroka did just claim a roster spot likely for rest of the way.

I find it very hard to believe they don't want him starting eventually *this* year but he had the injury issue/slow start then the bereavement thing... I get the sense they are just taking it very slow with him.  I'm not stashing yet but I am monitoring closely.

Braves best rotation should not include McCarthy or Sanchez however and they are in the thick of the playoff race...

Anibal has actually been pretty good in his starts. Maybe he won't sustain it but can't fault them for keeping him in rotation for now. 

I think Gohara gets next crack at rotation opening over the likes of Allard, Wisler, etc. and this may just be a way of limiting his innings given his injury history.

I'd certainly hold and possibly try to buy low in deep dynasty formats given the upside. He's a drop in redraft leagues. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Letitbe793 said:

Anibal has actually been pretty good in his starts. Maybe he won't sustain it but can't fault them for keeping him in rotation for now. 

I think Gohara gets next crack at rotation opening over the likes of Allard, Wisler, etc. and this may just be a way of limiting his innings given his injury history.

I'd certainly hold and possibly try to buy low in deep dynasty formats given the upside. He's a drop in redraft leagues. 

I agree with this, and it also can't be discounted how Anibal helped our young pitchers with his leadership and guidance as well.  He is likely a better "real" baseball player at this point then a fantasy player.  Soroka has stated numerous times that Anibal has helped him the most with his technique and rehab when he was on the DL this season.   I do think Luiz will get the next shot, but if I was worried about anyone possibly getting the next shot over him it could be Allard.  Koby is tearing it up in the minors right now and I think they will want to give him a shot in the rotation at some point this season.

Any chance he replaces Fried in the rotation?

I would think he gets another shot very soon...looked to be on his way before the unfortunate passing away of his relative.