osb_tensor

Jesse Winker 2018 Outlook

19 minutes ago, jb_power said:

100% disagree.

Senzel had a .391 OBP with .905 OPS last yearin the minors.  Hamilton has "earned" the 9th spot.

2 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

Why senzel, a high obp guy with speed, at the bottom?

He's rookie. There will be bumps, if he is steady and earns it during the year, fine. But start him low, low pressure and go from there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StevieStats said:

He's rookie. There will be bumps, if he is steady and earns it during the year, fine. But start him low, low pressure and go from there. 

Did they do that with Hamilton his first year?

Hamilton and Peraza have left the door wide-open for Winker to come in and take a seat in the 1 or 2 hole. He is worth the late round flyer, especially if you have a strong OF core by that time in the draft. 

2 minutes ago, jonance said:

Have you guys seen his spring stats?  .357 w/ 1 K in 35 AB’s.  OPS over 1.000

that 1 k is VERY impressive. 

Is this OF still going to be a 4 man rotation? And is it projected to be an even rotation, or will Hamilton and Duvall be in the lineup most days with Winker and Schebler mostly platooning?

It's intriguing that he's moved to the top of the lineup lately, but is it a preview of the regular season, or just ST trial and error?

With the way he ended last year, and how he has hit this spring, I don't know how he's not starting and probably batting first or second. They're not gonna be in the playoff picture so see what you have in the youngster at the spot you'd like him to hit when you're ready to compete. They should treat the entire year like ST. 

5 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

With the way he ended last year, and how he has hit this spring, I don't know how he's not starting and probably batting first or second. They're not gonna be in the playoff picture so see what you have in the youngster at the spot you'd like him to hit when you're ready to compete. They should treat the entire year like ST. 

ya im surprised there isnt more buzz

TIFIW, but the Reds GM was on SIRIUS fantasy sports yesterday, and stated they're going to rotate all four outfielders. 

• Thanks 2

Being from KY, I have seen Winker in person, dude just flat our is a great hitter. I think power (30-35) could come but at least 2 years off. For right now, if he would be a starter I would draft him expecting a line of 295/15/65/75/5

He grown weekly at the dish, and if his K% can get down around his 13-15 range he is a 310 hitter easy

42 minutes ago, andruw000 said:

TIFIW, but the Reds GM was on SIRIUS fantasy sports yesterday, and stated they're going to rotate all four outfielders. 

this is what i was afraid of

• Like 1

It kind of makes sense - Winker has been great, but out of the other three OF's you have a 70+ SB potential speedster, and two 30 HR guys.  Obviously all have their warts, but I can't see any of them losing significant PT, at least early in the season.  

58 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

It kind of makes sense - Winker has been great, but out of the other three OF's you have a 70+ SB potential speedster, and two 30 HR guys.  Obviously all have their warts, but I can't see any of them losing significant PT, at least early in the season.  

They've said from the open they'll rotate all four. I dont' know if that means actual even playing time. I think the Reds should play Winker the most. I think he's the only one that has a really really solid shot at being a part of a team's future. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

you can't steal a base if you can't get on base lol

15 hours ago, CharlesHustle said:

Being from KY, I have seen Winker in person, dude just flat our is a great hitter. I think power (30-35) could come but at least 2 years off. For right now, if he would be a starter I would draft him expecting a line of 295/15/65/75/5

He grown weekly at the dish, and if his K% can get down around his 13-15 range he is a 310 hitter easy

Does he have 35 hr power? The hit tool is great but I was not sure if that power tool was above average. 

Also I always think his name is Winkler and I picture the Fonz. I think that bumps him up a round. 

39 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Does he have 35 hr power? The hit tool is great but I was not sure if that power tool was above average. 

Also I always think his name is Winkler and I picture the Fonz. I think that bumps him up a round. 

no he doesnt have 35 HR power to my knowledge

I think he’s one of those guys that will develop in to reliable 25 HR power. 35 isn’t out of the realm of possibility but it would be a luck induced ceiling like one of those bonkers Mauer/Ellsbury sort of years.

4 hours ago, wxmilkman said:

Winker continues to rake this spring. He will take a regular job no later than a month into the season, prediction!

Absolutely agree. You can't have an outfield full of sub-.300 OBP players. You probably need to keep Hamilton in center, so either Duvall or Schebler needs to go. I think Winker is going to put up sneaky good numbers this year. I think there is more power in that bat than we've seen so far, and the Great American Ballpark is only going to help his HR numbers.

Yep.  As a lefty who is rocking doubles like it’s his job in the spring, the Cincy summer and a tish of extra lift would easily give him 25 with full AB’s and the kind of contact he makes.  

Schebler, Duvall and Billy ALL have major contact and OBP issues.  They gotta want an OBP guy at the top in front of Votto.  If Price ignores the spring he’s had and makes him platoon he’s a dipsh|t.  Perhaps he just wants them to all keep battling this spring.  

Luckily i have him in my MiLB side so i can stash, but keep up with the sitch b/c if he steals a regular role I love his chances at being a .300+/20+ HR guy with a great OBP. 

• Like 1

Ok. You guys have sold me. I'll target as my 4th OF and start him on the bench or at UTL.

What is he going for in auction leagues?

I come to believe that Schebler is going to end up being the odd-man-out. He had a nice first half in 2017, but his second half was pretty bad. I wasn't a huge believer, even when he was hitting all those HRs in April-May. He hit 16 in those two months and then 14 over the final 4 months. I think he's going to eventually be the one to lose ABs to the other three. 

Schebler is the real deal and he is very athletic, he will be playing centerfield a lot this year.  To bad he got hurt in the second half last year 35 to 40 homers this year if he does not get hurt.

4 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I come to believe that Schebler is going to end up being the odd-man-out. He had a nice first half in 2017, but his second half was pretty bad. I wasn't a huge believer, even when he was hitting all those HRs in April-May. He hit 16 in those two months and then 14 over the final 4 months. I think he's going to eventually be the one to lose ABs to the other three. 

i think hamilton will be the odd man out, he just can't hit. at all.