GreatestShowonTurf

Alex Collins 2018 Outlook

I had him for a bunch of weeks last year and they were exactly like the two games this year. I was shocked when I saw he was going in the first 3 rounds. What did people see?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, whoopsie said:

I had him for a bunch of weeks last year and they were exactly like the two games this year. I was shocked when I saw he was going in the first 3 rounds. What did people see?

He's an OK runner, he made some large plays last season and looked good in a few games. The problem with Collins is he isn't a 3 down back because he can't pass protect. So you have games where Buck Allen comes in and is used in catchup situations. The coaching is also horrible, they should be leaning on Collins more often but would rather have Flacco miss receivers 2 downs in a row on every drive. It's a recipe for disaster, he's basically a ****tier version of Aaron Jones (talent and situation).

The bottom line is he is too dependent on game flow, and the Ravens are too unpredictable.

Edited by n4sa
  • Thanks 1

In spite of the poor gamescipt, the vultured TD, and not getting in from the 1 the dude still outgained and outscored everyone’s darling Mixon.

I went to bed near halftime with some real buyers remorse on Collins after the buck vulture. Waking up seeing he got 90 yards and almost a td gives me a lot of optimism going forward. This is his floor. 

Edited by Nyblazer11235

2 hours ago, whoopsie said:

The second half of the season when he average 19 touches a game and scored 6 Touchdowns

• Like 7

He’s riding my bench unless I have an injury/bye, and he’d need a pretty good matchup for me to consider him

3 hours ago, whoopsie said:

I got him at the end of the 4th.  Looking back at how that draft shook out, the next five RBs off the board were Henry, Ajayi, Hyde, Lewis and Lynch, so it wasn’t a murderers row to pick from.  These are all timeshare backs just like Collins.  If they weren’t, they wouldn’t be going in the 4th through 6th round. Knowing what we know now, I’d probably take Ajayi or Lewis out of that bunch, but just because they had a good first week it doesn’t guarantee they’ll outscore Collins ROS.

Edited by eg4190

3 hours ago, whoopsie said:

Besides an improved O-line and another year of acclimation to the system?

• Third-best Elusive Rating among 17 backs with 200-plus attempts.
  • Only Kareem Hunt and LeSean McCoy ripped off more runs of 15-plus yards.
  • One of 13 backs to average over 1.7 yards per route run.
  • Fourth-most yards after contact per attempt (3.0) among 17 backs with 200-plus attempts.
  • Improved WR arsenal to keep defenses honest 
Edited by BMcP
  • Like 3

He had 90 total yards on 12 touches, got a GL chance, was involved in the passing game, and was clearly the better rusher.  I'm not exactly happy with the first two weeks given his ADP, but he's not a bust yet.   I still have hope that he will put up solid RB2 numbers this year, and in fact if I didn't already have him I would probably try to buy low on him...

I ended up trading him in a package to get Howard, but I think he will end up being a decent RB2. They don't have a lot of other options and he looks good when he runs. As long as the fumbles stop he should be good. 

37 minutes ago, rizon said:

These threads and this forum is becoming a joke. Everyone moans and whines about everyone all the damn time. A bunch of box score watchers.

1) Collins looked great last year

2) Collins looked great last night. 90 yards on 12 touches. Yes please. Making people miss and trucking defenders. What fans of his are seeing is a good talent performing at a high level *when given the chance.

3) I was on the Ravens forum last night and everyone was bitching about Harbaugh and MMs use of Collins. Local media will put it to the coaching staff. Last year the Ravens went 5-2 down the stretch when Collins was getting 18 carries a game.

4) last year Collins had 7 and 9 carries respectively in Ravens first two games. Ravens won convincingly in the first game and got blown out in the second. Almost identical script this year as last. Coaches, if wanting to keep their job, will get back to what worked for them. Ball control through a ground game and tough defense. Having Flaccco throw 55 times is a guaranteed loss.

5) Everyone who is calling this guy a bust is a child with no successful experience playing fantasy football. It’s been two damn weeks. There is no preseason anymore. I wouldn’t seriously judge a players situation until week 4 these days.

6) Everyone who is calling this guy a bust... here are some names that Collins’ week 2 performance would have outscored in week 1: Mixon (week 2), Mcaffery, Hunt, Fournette, Freeman, Cook, and Of course, Bell.  Are all these guys bums too?  

Jesus, this place.

^This so much.. I remember Mark Ingram having a similar start in a crowded Saints backfield last year. Obviously, the offenses aren't comparable, but it's early in the season and coaches are still figuring out the winning personal combos on the offense.

As a Collin's owner buck and specifically him vulturing GL work is discouraging, but this is identical to 80% of NFL backfields. Way too early to panic here..

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rizon said:

These threads and this forum is becoming a joke. Everyone moans and whines about everyone all the damn time. A bunch of box score watchers.

1) Collins looked great last year

2) Collins looked great last night. 90 yards on 12 touches. Yes please. Making people miss and trucking defenders. What fans of his are seeing is a good talent performing at a high level *when given the chance.

3) I was on the Ravens forum last night and everyone was bitching about Harbaugh and MMs use of Collins. Local media will put it to the coaching staff. Last year the Ravens went 5-2 down the stretch when Collins was getting 18 carries a game.

4) last year Collins had 7 and 9 carries respectively in Ravens first two games. Ravens won convincingly in the first game and got blown out in the second. Almost identical script this year as last. Coaches, if wanting to keep their job, will get back to what worked for them. Ball control through a ground game and tough defense. Having Flaccco throw 55 times is a guaranteed loss.

5) Everyone who is calling this guy a bust is a child with no successful experience playing fantasy football. It’s been two damn weeks. There is no preseason anymore. I wouldn’t seriously judge a players situation until week 4 these days.

6) Everyone who is calling this guy a bust... here are some names that Collins’ week 2 performance would have outscored in week 1: Mixon (week 2), Mcaffery, Hunt, Fournette, Freeman, Cook, and Of course, Bell.  Are all these guys bums too?  

Jesus, this place.

Because every player on some’s team must put up x number of points every week with no down games. People somehow don’t understand not only fantasy but football. I laugh at these people.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@rizon take a look at some of the previous posts here and in the other thread.  It may shed some light on what seems inexpicable at the moment.

He could have had a 60+yd (possibly TD) play.. but instead he fell down? No one touched him.. he just fell over.

Did anyone catch that?

9 hours ago, eoschris said:

Collins looked legit all game - not sure why they went away from him. That catch that he broke 2 tackles on the way to 20 yards was amazing. 

To be fair he didn't break anything. Just horrible tackling by the Bengals. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Nyblazer11235 said:

In spite of the poor gamescipt, the vultured TD, and not getting in from the 1 the dude still outgained and outscored everyone’s darling Mixon.

I went to bed near halftime with some real buyers remorse on Collins after the buck vulture. Waking up seeing he got 90 yards and almost a td gives me a lot of optimism going forward. This is his floor. 

And this is the part where you hurt your argument. Why are you comparing him to Mixon when the problem is his utilization in his own backfield?  Mixon didnt underperform because Gio was used more or because of gamescript.

Mixon was playing with some sort of injury since the first qtr and was in and out of the game. What we saw with Mixon is the team actually needs his production and they can't run their offense well without him. You can't say the same about Collins given Flacco chooses to throw every opportunity he can and thus neutralizes Collins production.

So based on your mixon comp  would you honestly say you would prefer to own Collins over Mixon?  Come on Dude:lol:

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

To be fair he didn't break anything. Just horrible tackling by the Bengals. 

Oh my god. The fact is tackles weren’t made. What’s the line between bad tackling and breaking tackles?!?!

• Like 1

Nice to see him involved in some passing plays but he's still affected by game script sadly.  A lot of Buck Allen when they are playing from behind.  That vulture TD was brutal but Collins did get a shot to put one in before half.

I honestly just don't see the upside in his game.  Quick feet and runs hard but that's about it.  I would say high RB2 when he is touting it 15-18+ times but floor could get ugly at times.

I owned Collins in my league last year and he was a very frustrating play week to week. The talent is there, but I don't think his coaches have confidence in his ball-handling skills to make him a workhorse. I ended up only using him as a flex play for the bye weeks and even then, it rarely paid off. This year I avoided the Raven backfield... and entire offense for that matter. They need to move on from Flacco. 

1 hour ago, oresteszero said:

He could have had a 60+yd (possibly TD) play.. but instead he fell down? No one touched him.. he just fell over.

Did anyone catch that?

First off, three cheers for Rizon on the MVP (most valuable post) of this thread. 

Second, I did notice that. Watched the replay a bunch to see if he got tripped up by anything, but it was his own feet. If he doesn't fall there, 99% of the complaints in this thread are gone. 

• Thanks 1