GreatestShowonTurf

Alex Collins 2018 Outlook

17 hours ago, boltup15 said:

PFF also had Collins as their #2 rated back for last season. Dixon is the only guy that could poach Collins, Buck Allen definitely not. 

I don't follow the Ravens closely, but I have had the impression for a couple of years now that they like Dixon alot.  I believe that they will give him a legit shot to compete for the 3 down job.  If Ravens followers believe otherwise, please weigh in.

3 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I don't follow the Ravens closely, but I have had the impression for a couple of years now that they like Dixon alot.  I believe that they will give him a legit shot to compete for the 3 down job.  If Ravens followers believe otherwise, please weigh in.

2017 was as rock bottom as it gets, and Dixon was only a sophomore:

16 game meniscus + 4 game PEDS + 2 game substance abuse policy = ugh

I guess things can only get bettter... 

I imagine Dixon will have to wrest the rock from Collins and then produce numbers if he’s to 1) be relevant and 2) keep his job. Collins ran well enough to be lead back in what could easily be a committee; Buck is there as well, waiting to receive. That said, Dixon could easily suffer another injury and/or use drugs in a misdirected attempt to save his career, and that could happen before or during preseason. 

At this point, simply stay tuned.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

http://m.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Could-Still-Add-a-Running-Back-/288de5ac-050d-4c2c-8deb-054a15ecc421

Per the above link Harbaugh told reporters Collins would be the starter. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Ravens signed another rb though, Collins, Buck and Dixon might not be enough. It couldn’t hurt to add a fourth into the mix. I don’t think Dixon has a shot to compete for 3 down duties unless Collins does not play well while Dixon does, which is definitely a possibility to happen later in the season. 

• Like 1

Love him. I could easily see this rookie RB class and last year's breakout RBs dropping Collins to potential FLEX status.

The missing piece is the potential for Jackson to pick up starts by fantasy playoffs. That pulls EDGE players wide and slow to contain Jackson and gives the RB massive holes to hit.

As long as Collins can make it to my 5th or 6th RB/WR, he's a gigantic target. Time will tell if hype gets him into RB2 status. If so, I may still take him, but it would have to be late 4th to 5th round in a 12-team league.

On 5/1/2018 at 12:50 PM, Rolling Thunder said:

My friend is a hardcore ravens fan. I think the writing on the wall is Alex Collins. 

6 minutes ago, taobball said:

My friend is a hardcore ravens fan. I think the writing on the wall is Alex Collins. 

Are you saying it's Alex Collins job or writing is on the wall for him to lose it. Not being critical kinda vague statement. 

Just now, mmcc1029 said:

Are you saying it's Alex Collins job or writing is on the wall for him to lose it. Not being critical kinda vague statement. 

Yeah, nbd. 

From talking to Ravens fans (which was the inquiry) I don't believe Kenneth Dixon is a legitimate obstacle. I've heard a ton of chatter about optimism regarding specifically Alex Collins. And for those who weren't paying attention, Alex Collins was great last year. And his knock was always ball security. His running ability has never really been doubted and he really showed out in his first true opportunity with the Ravens. I think the best way for Dixon to get carries is for Collins to fumble the ball away. I think more likely Alex Collins is one of the more valuable RB Values this year based on where I've seen the chatter. I think Collins is a legitimate RB2 with RB1 upside because I think he could get a really substantial Carry/GoalLine Volume. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, taobball said:

Yeah, nbd. 

From talking to Ravens fans (which was the inquiry) I don't believe Kenneth Dixon is a legitimate obstacle. I've heard a ton of chatter about optimism regarding specifically Alex Collins. And for those who weren't paying attention, Alex Collins was great last year. And his knock was always ball security. His running ability has never really been doubted and he really showed out in his first true opportunity with the Ravens. I think the best way for Dixon to get carries is for Collins to fumble the ball away. I think more likely Alex Collins is one of the more valuable RB Values this year based on where I've seen the chatter. I think Collins is a legitimate RB2 with RB1 upside because I think he could get a really substantial Carry/GoalLine Volume. 

Thanks, I'm a fan picked him up In a keeper and for $1 I see no reason not hang on. He was mostly a solid rb2 last season and I'm liking the ravens offense overall more this year. Seems like this guy has a lot of doubters but I'm not sure why. 

Warren Sharp just said (on rotounderworld podcast) that Alex Collins is his favorite RB in the NFL, relative to ADP, which as I can best gather, is currently about 38 in ppr redraft. But what does he know? 

10 hours ago, fakespike said:

Warren Sharp just said (on rotounderworld podcast) that Alex Collins is his favorite RB in the NFL, relative to ADP, which as I can best gather, is currently about 38 in ppr redraft. But what does he know? 

The only unknown is Kenneth Dixon. We’ve never really seen him play, not extensively. We can expect Buck Allen nibbling at Collins’ for 50-75 carries / 40 receptions, but Sir Dixalot is an unknown regarding usage, talent, durability, and favor of CS. Whereas Allen is essentially the receiving back, Collins the pounder, KDix has—potentially—both skill sets. Has Dixon torn anything recently, or been suspended lately?

51 minutes ago, cohenstantinople said:

Has Dixon torn anything recently, or been suspended lately?

Check back tomorrow.

• Haha 1

How are you evaluating Alex Collins in comparison with Derrius Guice?  I don't think there is any question who the more talented player is,  but we know much more about Collins than Guice at this point.  Both are competing against 3rd down backs that will likely steal most receiving work, both are running behind improved offensive lines, and both play are average/mediocre teams. 

In the 4th/5th round, I'm still not ready to take shots but Guice's raw talent is hard to ignore.  Are you guys drafting boring, effective Collins or unknown upside in Guice?

8 minutes ago, SvanE42 said:

How are you evaluating Alex Collins in comparison with Derrius Guice?  I don't think there is any question who the more talented player is,  but we know much more about Collins than Guice at this point.  Both are competing against 3rd down backs that will likely steal most receiving work, both are running behind improved offensive lines, and both play are average/mediocre teams. 

In the 4th/5th round, I'm still not ready to take shots but Guice's raw talent is hard to ignore.  Are you guys drafting boring, effective Collins or unknown upside in Guice?

Leaning Guice because he’s in a better offense and will have more scoring opportunities. Collins has the fumbling problems and Ken Dixon lurking behind him. I can’t see Guice not putting up at least 1000 total yards/6 tds. 

55 minutes ago, SvanE42 said:

44 minutes ago, cjw99 said:

Leaning Guice because he’s in a better offense and will have more scoring opportunities. Collins has the fumbling problems and Ken Dixon lurking behind him. I can’t see Guice not putting up at least 1000 total yards/6 tds. 

Personally I'm taking Collins over Mixon, Guice, and pretty much every 4th Round RB. 

Firstly, is it even definitive at all that he's in a better Offense? Alex Smith is coming off a great season... maybe he repeats. I'm not willing to put him a huge tier in front of Flacco for fantasy expectations for RB/WR. Ravens have Crabtree, Snead... Redskins have Richardson/Crowder? Doctson? 

I just don't see a big tier difference between these two. 

Secondly, the fumbling is legitimate. But is Kenneth Dixon really a bigger threat for playing time in 2018 than Samaje Perine, Rob Kelley, and Chris Thompson? The dude who's been hurt and suspended his whole career?

I think people understand Alex Collins was good last year. I don't think they understand HOW good he was. He ran like one of the best backs in all of football. Reminded me a lot of a Lynch type, which I know is the easiest fantasy comparison, but a guy who runs with Speed, Power, and most notably some great balance. His highlight tape is one of the best from a RB in the NFL last year IMO.  What I like particularly about Collins is that first run they show, at 0:51, his ability to maintain his balance through contact, and then reestablish balance quickly and get back to his running speed. 

He also gets a particular shoutouts by PFF for his vision, being used as an example of "superb vision," in an article that has nothing to do with him, and is just about defining good vision.

I'll take a guy who competed in the NFL last year, excelled, and is the #1 RB on his team over any rookie not named Saquon Barkley. Kenneth Dixon is more of a cuff then a threat. All Collins has to do is not fumble. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SvanE42 said:

My man if you think Collins’ running style is boring I suggest you take another look at his game.

• Like 5

Sooooooo.....

Kenneth Dixon left the field early with trainers today, on the first day of TC.... and never came back.

ALEX COLLINS TRAIN... ALL ABOARD! 

Edited by ponza88

23 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

Sooooooo.....

Kenneth Dixon left the field early with trainers today, on the first day of TC.... and never came back.

I was firmly on it even before this news :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ponza88 said:

Sooooooo.....

IMO this news makes Collins more likely to get priced up and as someone who really felt like he was going to dominate touches all along feel like now he’s going to be more eexpensive

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoeJoe88 said:

I was firmly on it even before this news :)

5 hours ago, ponza88 said:

3 hours ago, taobball said:

IMO this news makes Collins more likely to get priced up and as someone who really felt like he was going to dominate touches all along feel like now he’s going to be more eexpensive

If Dixon does not play/practice soon, does not have a noteworthy preseason, we'll see Collins rise to Round 3 in August. His ADP is at 41.2 right now. And while I think Collins will rock, there are a host of WRs I’d prefer there, ADPs currently in Round 3 (Diggs/Thielen, TY, Baldwin). Collins was one of the big steals in July drafts... July ends next week.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ponza88 said:

Sooooooo.....

Tweaked a hamstring... walking "pretty gingerly" to the trainers...

Edited by Winky

Why is Baltimore so apprehensive about supporting Collins?  It always seems they say something along the line of, "He is good, BUT......<insert neutral or negative comment>"

I for one do not like the news about Dixon. He is a  nothing in my mind already, but I think some people still viewed him as a threat. If this injury is anything serious, it will bump up ACs price. :angry:

10 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Why is Baltimore so apprehensive about supporting Collins?  It always seems they say something along the line of, "He is good, BUT......<insert neutral or negative comment>"

Because he was a massive fumbler before he got there. Plus anything good they say about him publicly will be used against them when he negotiates for a new contract.