GreatestShowonTurf

Alex Collins 2018 Outlook

27 minutes ago, CanaBuc said:

Let's also be honest. Collins YPC overall this year isn't that great. Buck has made some good key tough runs and catches and usually gets the dirty short yards which also ruin his YPC more than his performance would merit. Yes not as elusive but bigger back can get those tough yards

Collins is averaging a low YPC and Buck is a full YARD worse...the point in here is that Buck is the inferior back and even the Stats back it up.  In every game other than the week 1 nonsensical game vs Buf, Collins is better in every category including advanced metrics.

Just read that Allen outsnapped Collins 50-27.  Kenneth Dixon will be back in a few weeks as well.  Collins isn't droppable just yet but he's getting there.  You can't start him right now, that's for sure.

2 hours ago, SuperMarksBros. said:

Just read that Allen outsnapped Collins 50-27.  Kenneth Dixon will be back in a few weeks as well.  Collins isn't droppable just yet but he's getting there.  You can't start him right now, that's for sure.

Somehow that dream never seems to end

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SuperMarksBros. said:

Life isn’t good as a Collins owner that’s for sure. Although the snap count is skewed because Collins hurt his ankle at one point and sat out multiple series. Thankfully Allen did nothing with the extra touches. Although if the Ravens OC keeps insisting on having Flacco throw 50 times a game, Allen is gonna continue to outsnap Collins.

10 minutes ago, Joeklebba said:

Life isn’t good as a Collins owner that’s for sure. Although the snap count is skewed because Collins hurt his ankle at one point and sat out multiple series. Thankfully Allen did nothing with the extra touches. Although if the Ravens OC keeps insisting on having Flacco throw 50 times a game, Allen is gonna continue to outsnap Collins.

I don't know why Harbaugh thinks they should be passing 50+ times per game regardless of the score. QB is the weakest position group on that whole team. They should be pounding the rock with both backs. 

54 minutes ago, Joeklebba said:

Thats good to know.  My hope is that as the season changes and the games get cold, they put these 50+ passes per game on the shelf and run more...with the guy we think is their best RB

I don't know if I've been more frustrated a single moment this entire season than when Buck Allen fumbled it only to have Alex Collins twist his ankle on his first snap and allow Buck right back into the game. I mean seriously... every indication we have about "punishing for Fumbles" as Collins has sat drives would have lead us to believe he would've really gotten some shake right there after Buck's fumble. Getting Buck back in the game two snaps later was so frustrating. 

But at least Buck Allen, and not Collins, fumbled. So there is that. 

1 hour ago, taobball said:

I don't know if I've been more frustrated a single moment this entire season than when Buck Allen fumbled it only to have Alex Collins twist his ankle on his first snap and allow Buck right back into the game. I mean seriously... every indication we have about "punishing for Fumbles" as Collins has sat drives would have lead us to believe he would've really gotten some shake right there after Buck's fumble. Getting Buck back in the game two snaps later was so frustrating. 

But at least Buck Allen, and not Collins, fumbled. So there is that. 

448  career  touches 3 fumbles for Buck

343 career touches 8 fumbles for Collins

i think everyone that thinks they should both be disciplined the same, really need to look at the stats. Players are gonna fumble, the ones that do it more often are the ones that get punished.Collins has a track record of it, This was Bucks first fumble since 2015.

With all that said , I’m  still confused as to how Allen out touches Collins every week

10 minutes ago, BRIGUY11 said:

448  career  touches 3 fumbles for Buck

343 career touches 8 fumbles for Collins

i think everyone that thinks they should both be disciplined the same, really need to look at the stats. Players are gonna fumble, the ones that do it more often are the ones that get punished.Collins has a track record of it, This was Bucks first fumble since 2015.

With all that said , I’m  still confused as to how Allen out touches Collins every week

IDK, I'd say a good number of coaches will bench a player for a drive for fumbling. That's not really that out of the question. Alex Colllins got the very first snap after Buck fumbled, and I believe they would've given him the drive had Collins not injured his ankle. If you disagree, I won't fight you on it. But that seemed like Collins drive before the injury. 

15 minutes ago, LionKid90 said:

Harbough simply doesn't trust Collins, if not he'd see the ball a lot more. Simple as that.

Buck owner and yes Collins is def the more talented runner, but can you really blame the coach for not trusting him? That fumble at the goal line against the Steelers changed the momentum of that game and it almost cost them. 

5 minutes ago, Bob69024 said:

Buck owner and yes Collins is def the more talented runner, but can you really blame the coach for not trusting him? That fumble at the goal line against the Steelers changed the momentum of that game and it almost cost them. 

I don’t really blame Harbough. You can’t fumble, but you also can’t play scared. You can’t shy away from better player because you are worried about what he could do wrong. In that case do you not have Fitzpatrick drop back and throw a lot because he is prone to picks. 

One part art of football I don’t understand is why RBs get so much crap for a couple fumbles in a few games, but QBs can throw multiple picks and they never get criticized for it. Sure Collins has had some awful fumbles, but I’m sure Flacco has had some poor interceptions.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bob69024 said:

Allen fumbled in the third quarter in Ravens territory and on the ensuing Browns possession they kicked a field goal to extend the lead to 9-3. 

That might have actually cost the Ravens the game, since it was a field goal kicking contest that went to overtime and ended in a Ravens loss. 

2 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

Allen fumbled in the third quarter in Ravens territory and on the ensuing Browns possession they kicked a field goal to extend the lead to 9-3. 

That might have actually cost the Ravens the game, since it was a field goal kicking contest that went to overtime and ended in a Ravens loss. 

I’m not in here to argue and I agree it was a huge fumble, but dude hasn’t fumbled since 2015. It happens to the best of them. Just seems to happen more frequently with Collins this why coach trusts Buck. We’ll see how the snaps play out this week to see if Buck is in the doghouse. I’d have my money on no though.

Matt Jones is out of the nfl now because he couldn’t hold onto the ball, Gruden had no choice to go with plodder R Kelley even though jones was the more talented back

Just now, BRIGUY11 said:

Matt Jones is out of the nfl now because he couldn’t hold onto the ball, Gruden had no choice to go with plodder R Kelley even though jones was the more talented back

Gruden is a tougher hardazz than harbaugh and harbaugh is a hardazz.

Dixon failing to meet his potential hurt Harbaughs aspirations for the running game he wants

6 hours ago, humanpuck said:

Collins is averaging a low YPC and Buck is a full YARD worse...the point in here is that Buck is the inferior back and even the Stats back it up.  In every game other than the week 1 nonsensical game vs Buf, Collins is better in every category including advanced metrics.

Every way but 1. Fantasy points per game. Since I am not a head coach but manage a fantasy football team give me Buck all day over Collins. And one was free vs a late 3rd or early 4th round pick

Just now, CanaBuc said:

Every way but 1. Fantasy points per game. Since I am not a head coach but manage a fantasy football team give me Buck all day over Collins. And one was free vs a late 3rd or early 4th round pick

Yep we’re fantasy football managers lol. I play in a 0.5 ppr league and after this week Buck has 7 more points than Collins. His floor is relatively safe and if the Ravens go down in the game Buck will be playing a lot during catch up. Collins will still eat alot of carries, but I think Buck has a solid chance of finishing with more fantasy points barring injury this year. 

Looking back at all the mid round RB's, they have all flopped. Before the season, most people were comparing the round 4-5 RB's, which were Alex Collins, Lamar Miller, Jay Ajayi, Royce Freeman, Derrick Henry and Kenyan Drake. All of those guys have flopped. You can make an argument that Collins may be the best of that group. The odd part is that most of the RB's from the tier under that have done better, guys like Hyde, Adrian Peterson, Chris Carson, Kerryon Johnson, and Sony Michel. Really the only guy from that mid tier group that has done well is Lynch.

Edited by LionKid90
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bob69024 said:

I’m not in here to argue and I agree it was a huge fumble, but dude hasn’t fumbled since 2015. It happens to the best of them. Just seems to happen more frequently with Collins this why coach trusts Buck. We’ll see how the snaps play out this week to see if Buck is in the doghouse. I’d have my money on no though.

I totally understand that Collins' fumble rate has been too high in his young career and is cause for concern from the coaching staff. But I also believe that the team and player are committed to correcting it. I thought he was making a concerted effort to rap up at the end of his runs this week. 

Last year he fumbled twice in the first 3 games he was active but Harbaugh stuck with him and fed him 187 carries over the final 12 games (15.6 carries per game) and he didn't lose a single fumble (although he did fumble twice) the rest of the way. 

So far this year 2 lost fumbles in the first 4 games, but he still got 12 carries this week and ran well and showed improved ball security. 

I understand Buck Allen is not going to go away completely, but I do believe that if Collins can string together a few fumble free games he will maintain the relatively high volume role he had to close out last season. 

Edited by mjb03003

The fumbles are a rational reason for the coaches to have concerns about Collins but Allen is a waste of plays. If they want to contend they can't keep giving up plays to a guy who basically goes down as soon as a defender gets to him. Who else can average less than 3 yards a carry and get this much playing time? 

I think the biggest problem for Collins is Flacco and the play calling. 

56 passes in a game where the score was 9-6 for a large chunk of time.  And on top of that he only had 298 yards to show for it.

The coaches can give Allen 10 carries and 5 catches a game, and still have another 20ish touches for Collins if they weren't calling 60 passing plays with a below average QB.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hero202 said:

I think the biggest problem for Collins is Flacco and the play calling. 

56 passes in a game where the score was 9-6 for a large chunk of time.  And on top of that he only had 298 yards to show for it.

The coaches can give Allen 10 carries and 5 catches a game, and still have another 20ish touches for Collins if they weren't calling 60 passing plays with a below average QB.

Boring offense is the result of a stubborn and outmoded OC. Reminds me of Mike Martz in his later years. 

Some guys just refuse to adapt. Collins is head and shoulders the best weapon they have on O but they will never use him because that’s not how the OC likes to call games.

Edited by Magoo

4 hours ago, Joeklebba said:

He had 78 yards on 14 touches. Let’s not act like he looked terrible.

• Like 1