GreatestShowonTurf

Alex Collins 2018 Outlook

The jaggiest of jags continued his jaggy trend of underwhelming performances. Literally the definition of a jag when an undrafted rookie off the practice squad takes your job in a plus matchup...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks for the tuddy. Seeing 6.9 within a few minutes was inspiring. Seeing it not even move a point the other 55 minutes was freaking awesome ?

• Like 1

This has to be one of the weirdest fantasy seasons I've ever seen. If you had told me on draft night that Collins would have 7 TD's through 10 games I would have thought at worst a high end RB2. This is just so odd, not saying he's a good player or anything, just bizarre how this year has played out with this guy.

Would love to know who is NOT dropping and why? I'm considering it but he's my #4 RB. Probably can get away with it.

6 hours ago, RepoMan said:

This has to be one of the weirdest fantasy seasons I've ever seen. If you had told me on draft night that Collins would have 7 TD's through 10 games I would have thought at worst a high end RB2. This is just so odd, not saying he's a good player or anything, just bizarre how this year has played out with this guy.

Its funny to think the complaint at the beginning of the season was Buck Allen would be the goal line back and thats pretty much what Collins has been since.

44 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Would love to know who is NOT dropping and why? I'm considering it but he's my #4 RB. Probably can get away with it.

My 5th RB and no issues dropping him and claiming Gus with 2 waiver 

7 minutes ago, maxim730 said:

My 3rd/4th so I don't have as much leeway as you do, but I have to get off this roller coaster.  I'll keep seeing those juicy matchups and keep wanting to start the guy til I get burned in the ff playoffs.  

Single digit touches in a prime matchup lol

Edited by SuperMarksBros.

On 11/17/2018 at 2:58 PM, championship or bust said:

Lol now alex is on front page? Must bench!

RUNNING BACK

Start of the Week: Alex Collins vs. Bengals: After a 4-1 start, the Bengals are 1-3 in their last three games, barely escaping with a 37-34 win against the Bucs in Week 8. Cincinnati’s defense has given up 40.25 points per game in this five-week stretch, totally giving up on defense and forcing coach Marvin Lewis to make DC Teryl Austin the fall guy this week. Lewis is taking over DC duties, but we doubt it makes much of a difference this soon. Collins is the overall RB32 in fantasy points per game and has yet to top 68 yards on the ground through 10 weeks. He’s getting by solely on touchdowns, scoring four times on the ground in the four games ahead of last week’s bye. Collins played a season-high 50.8% of the snaps last time out against Pittsburgh and seems to be pulling away from Javorius Allen a bit. Finally. Ty Montgomery’s addition is a bit of a concern, but he was inactive his first game with Baltimore. The Bengals have just been getting railroaded in all phases. Since Week 6, they’re dead last in fantasy points allowed to running backs, surrendering 5.48 YPC, while also giving up the most touchdowns to the position via the pass. Cincinnati is 30th in run-defense DVOA. Last week, Mark Ingramhad 162 yards and one touchdown on 16 touches while teammate Alvin Kamara managed 102 yards and a pair of scores on 16 touches of his own. The game before that, Peyton Barber had his best rushing day of the season with a 19-85-1 line. In Week 7, Kareem Hunt turned 20 touches into 141 yards and three touchdowns. James Conner had 129 yards and two touchdowns on 23 touches the previous week. Collins doesn’t get the kind of volume the aforementioned backs receive, but he should flirt with 15 carries with a decent shot at more, especially if the Ravens either try to protect Joe Flacco (hip) from further injury or simply start Robert Griffin III or Lamar Jackson instead. If RG3 or Jackson is under center, their dual-threat capabilities tend to expose defenses and open up bigger running lanes. Collins is a really strong RB2 with good odds for a touchdown. The Ravens and Bengals are both quietly top-six in offensive pace. When these teams met in Week 2, Collins played a season-high 42 snaps.

• Haha 2

What a strange season.

Not to take anything away from Edwards, who ran well, but it would have been nice to see what Collins could have done with that sort of workload and commitment to the running game. I understand that Edwards developed the "hot hand" and Harbaugh liked what he saw from him, but to me that doesn't mean this is suddenly his backfield and that Collins is droppable. 

Despite all of the various threats to his role Collins has faced this season, he has 5 TDs in his last 5 games and he hasan't had fewer than 7 carries in a game all season. I expect him to get 9-12 carries next week against the Raiders and have a good chance at a TD. If the Ravens dominate, which they should (at home), we could see multiple backs have strong fantasy days. 

Can't drop him if only because of that schedule. If Gus runs away with the job so be it. Worst case this turns into a full blown RBBC. With TyMont and Gus thrown into the mix out of nowhere, RBBC looks likely. :ph34r:

Drafted this guy in all 3 of my leagues because of the hype from analysts and this forum. This week was the first time I had confidence in starting him because of the upcoming schedule. Definitely did not see this coming. You have to pretty much hold here in case Gus is a fluke or gets injured. Whole situation sucks because if you are able to pick up Gus on waivers, you'll probably have to roster them both just to see how this turns out. With the schedule it would probably be worth the risk. Then again this is fantasy football so Ty Montgomery will end up their top back for the rest of the season.

2 hours ago, yanksman said:

Its funny to think the complaint at the beginning of the season was Buck Allen would be the goal line back and thats pretty much what Collins has been since.

It's funny to think that at the start of the season people were drafting him with the expectation that he was a sneaky rb1 in the making given the Ravens didnt draft a rb or trade for one. People were saying Collins was going to pick up from where he left off end of last season. . .but it never happened 

No one thought Buck  was initially a threat to Collins production  but he was early on and then with signing ty monty it was thought buck was obsolete which he appears to be.

So everyone says this is the best part of the season to own Collins because of the matchups but surprise surprise A Guy Named Gus came along and really killed everyones value to the point you have to ask yourself. . "is Collins startable going forward?"

Edited by dashoe

9 hours ago, maxim730 said:

Same.

Drafted Gurley, Conner, A. Jones. Lucky to nab Mack and Chubb before the rush. He's gone.

If I have a fear it's that somebody grabs him and he bites me in the a$$ in the playoffs. That would be cruel.

Drop, need someone to cover Butker bye. I hope someone picks him up and starts him vs me. 

Not sure what to make of this backfield currently. He's a burn if your roster and waivers allows for a better potential pickup.

2 hours ago, Tax77 said:

Drop, need someone to cover Butker bye. I hope someone picks him up and starts him vs me. 

That's what I was thinking. Throw the Collins grenade onto waivers and hope your week 14 opponent lands on it

• Thanks 1

Gus has more value than Collins right now and I would try to nab him and even drop Collins for him if you have to. Gus has the upside that he might be the workhouse from here on out and go on to put up nice numbers, whereas if they say Collins is still the starter, at best you know it's a hot hand committee in which case Collins isn't really a guy you will ever feel too good about starting.

my opinion

Edited by automatica21

Collins is still falling into the too-good-to-drop-can’t-trust fantasy poison range for me.

It’s still possible Gus Edwards’ performance was just an elaborate wag of the finger in Collins’ direction and he goes right back to his usual role next week.  Collins has multi-TD upside and there is every possibility one of your ROS opponents starts him against you and hits the jackpot.

4 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

Collins has multi-TD upside and there is every possibility one of your ROS opponents starts him against you and hits the jackpot.

This guy's ceiling isn't high enough, and he's on the Ravens. Think you're overthinking. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, frog34 said:

Monitor his usage this week

Then either drop or keep :ph34r:

This is where I'm at.  Edwards in one league, Collins in the other.  Honestly would love to see Edwards take over and rid myself of this single digit carry headache

On 11/19/2018 at 4:21 PM, kyoun1e said:

Same.

Drafted Gurley, Conner, A. Jones. Lucky to nab Mack and Chubb before the rush. He's gone.

If I have a fear it's that somebody grabs him and he bites me in the a$$ in the playoffs. That would be cruel.

See same here I've got Hunt, Conner, McCaffrey and Chubb... I've got chi dst and I want to grab Denver. But I don't want to stabbed in the back by Collins ..

I've had Collins but finally was able to unload him in a trade and happy about it.

I actually think Collins is pretty good.  He runs hard, has shown some decent hands catching the ball.  I feel like he's a guy that deserves more opportunity than he's gotten.  Obviously the Ravens coaches don't see things that way though.

They've got Edwards in the mix now, Allen playing passing downs, Dixon possibly coming back into the mix.  It's just an ugly situation.

I'm betting the Ravens don't go through another draft without addressing the RB position.