• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy_Slippers

Chris Sale 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2018-11-28. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Simply phenomenal season in 2017. Yes, his second half wasn't as good, but he was still rather dominant (3.12 ERA). He has recently stated that he has altered his throwing program in order to be more consistent throughout the season. He also stated that he still expects to throw a bunch of innings in 2018 (he lead the American League in innings in 2017). For me, he's the second best pitcher in baseball. I would be absolutely thrilled to draft this dude in the second round.

for next year i still got him 4th best SP

Looks like they will make changes to keep him stronger in the second half this season:

Chris Sale and the Red Sox made changes to his offseason program this winter in hopes of keeping him fresh throughout the year.

"I showed up for spring training really ready to go," Sale said of last season, the final 11 starts of which he went 4-4 with a 4.09 ERA. "My arm was in midseason form. We’re going to gradually build that up." Sale will throw less ahead of the season and during spring, and may even skip a start or two during the year in hopes of keeping him in peak form until October. It's scary to think that the 28-year-old could be even better than the 2.90 ERA, 0.97 WHIP and 308/43 K/BB ratio he posted in 2017, but that's what he and the club are aiming for.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Looks like they will make changes to keep him stronger in the second half this season:

As long as he throws 210+ innings, I'll be happy. He should come pretty close to matching his numbers from last season.

5 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

As long as he throws 210+ innings, I'll be happy. He should come pretty close to matching his numbers from last season.

Heck, if he goes back to his "norm" he's still likely a top 4 arm: 220IP, 10.55K/9, 2.98ERA

That's unreal. I always forget he's only going to be 29.

6 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It looks like Sale, Groome & Kimbrel were at Foxwoods yesterday talking to the media.

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2018/01/chris_sale_red_sox_top_prospec.html

Sale & Groome are working out together. Kimbrel newborn daughter born with heart defect requires multiple surgeries

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2018/01/craig_kimbrels_newborn_daughte.html

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

It looks like Sale, Groome & Kimbrel were at Foxwoods yesterday talking to the media.

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2018/01/chris_sale_red_sox_top_prospec.html

Sale & Groome are working out together. Kimbrel newborn daughter born with heart defect requires multiple surgeries

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2018/01/craig_kimbrels_newborn_daughte.html

damn i live about 30 minutes from there

and best of luck to kimbrel...damn thats sad

He's been one of the most durable pitchers in the MLB, even though many thought his throwing motion could hinder his health. Should be the easy favorite to lead the MLB in strikeouts again.

If you break the SPs entering this year into tiers I think you can say Sale is clearly in the top 4 pitchers:

Kershaw

Scherzer

Kluber

Sale

You can argue for Sale of Kluber or Scherzer so if you get Sale as the SP4 off the board its pretty good value this year.

On 1/21/2018 at 8:08 AM, Sidearmer said:

He's been one of the most durable pitchers in the MLB, even though many thought his throwing motion could hinder his health. Should be the easy favorite to lead the MLB in strikeouts again.

If you break the SPs entering this year into tiers I think you can say Sale is clearly in the top 4 pitchers:

Kershaw

Scherzer

Kluber

Sale

You can argue for Sale of Kluber or Scherzer so if you get Sale as the SP4 off the board its pretty good value this year.

Given Kershaw's injuries, I'm lumping them all into one tier at this point. A clear rung above the rest, where the difference between 1 and 4 is negligible. 

As far as predictions:

17-21 wins

2.65-3 ERA

.90-1.05 WHIP

270-305 Ks

35-55 walks

a whole lotta happy owners 

• Like 1

I personally lump all 4 into a single top tier. 

All are great but not perfect.  If they follow their patterns from the last couple of years then Kershaw has a back to worry about now.  Sale starts strong then fades.  Kluber starts poorly then surges.  Scherzer ... well I don't own him on any dynasty team alas so don't monitor him day-to-day that closely to comment on him.

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I personally lump all 4 into a single top tier. 

All are great but not perfect.  If they follow their patterns from the last couple of years then Kershaw has a back to worry about now.  Sale starts strong then fades.  Kluber starts poorly then surges.  Scherzer ... well I don't own him on any dynasty team alas so don't monitor him day-to-day that closely to comment on him.

So in a redraft, try to trade Sale for Kluber around May...got it!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Haha, nay, wait until August.

Given the history and trends of both players, Sale won't be enough to get Kluber in August. End of April is when Kluber's value is at the lowest.;)

Edited by Gryfter

just got hit by a comebacker, but on the leg/hip, not the hand...they took him out, but he looks fine...guess we'll hear more soon

Posted (edited)

Chris Sale pulled in first inning with possible knee injury.

Like Bum it was caused by another wicked line drive back to the mound and missed Sale's pitching hand by inches.  Hit him in his hip or thigh but knocked him down where it looked like he twisted his knee on the fall.

Precautionary pull right now as he walked off the field but stay tuned.  He was limping on the leg of said knee that he was rubbing a lot.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

37 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Just a left hip contusion. 

That was the first announcement.  They said they were going to run other tests as well.  Hopefully he escaped with just that though.  Man that pitch came within an inch or two of hitting his pitching hand's fingers too a la what happened to MadBum.

Sale interviewed.  Said he grabbed his knee because the ball hit a nerve on his hip and ran down his leg to his knee but now it is fine.  Just the hip area was effected. 

Close call.  After Bum went down we didn't need another front line pitcher down.  And I'm not just talking as a Boston fan but as a fantasy owner that owns them both in one league along with already DL-starting  Gohara and Pomeranz.  Because in the end it is all about my fantasy teams, hah.

Precautionary X-rays on Chris Sale's hip came back negative.

It's nothing more than a contusion, sustained after he was hit by a comebacker Saturday, and Sale should be fine in a few days. He's on track to start on Opening Day for the BoSox.
Mar 24 - 4:41 PM

Getting squeezed by the ump.  A lot of pitches already, he won't be going deep into this one.