Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy_Slippers

Chris Sale 2018 Outlook

Posted (edited)

It looks like Chris Sale owners are getting to get a lot less than we expected.  We are going to get a 5-6 inning pitcher.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=MLB&id=6319&line=565308&spln=1

04.03... Chris Sale pitched five innings of one-run ball and struck out six Tuesday against the Marlins.
Spin: The run was a result of J.D. Martinez failing to get to a ball in right field that would have been an easy out for Mookie Betts. If this were last season, Sale likely would have gone out for a sixth inning tonight. The Red Sox, though, are hoping to prevent him from wearing down this year and thus removed him after 93 pitches tonight.

Edited by jwblue

3 minutes ago, jwblue said:

It looks like Chris Sale owners are getting to get a lot less than we expected.  We are going to get a 5-6 inning pitcher.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=MLB&id=6319&line=565308&spln=1

Huh?  Expected?  This isn't news.  The Red Sox said they would rest him more early in the year in the effort to prevent his yearly September Swoon.  That's a good deal for Sale owners come playoff time in fantasy leagues.

Also he would have pitched deeper had he not thrown so many  pitches already in the game.  But he wasn't as sharp as normal and ran the counts up higher than normal thus his pitch count higher than normal.  This is probably due to holding back on his innings during spring training for the same reason mentioned above as well so he is still getting into game shape.

I don't see any problem here at all.  We all knew the game plan starting pre-spring training since they announced it over the winter.  Long term he could save his arm for when fantasy owners need him the most.  Short term he will be up to 6 or 7 or even 8 innings once his control settles in more and he needs less pitches to mow down batters. 

Last year John Farell ran him into the ground with 120+ pitch counts at times when not even needed like when up by tons of runs in the 8th.  The result was he fell off a cliff in September like he always did in Chicago too when they also ran him into the ground.  You want that to happen again?  As a "owner" I sure don't.  So this new and better and more modern day approach seems like a win for all owners to me. 

• Like 1

Hmm, let's check the lineups for tomorrow...

image.thumb.png.94a1f37383817c6cc221706c57c33a2d.png

image.thumb.png.ee812c37fd1b238e1785920ae5b0d557.png

chris-davis-bat-break.gif

image.png.14c73946a952a9ca6270e4596facf97c.png

Isn't it supposed to snow or something tomorrow? Hope they get the game in

40 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Hmm, let's check the lineups for tomorrow...

image.thumb.png.94a1f37383817c6cc221706c57c33a2d.png

image.thumb.png.ee812c37fd1b238e1785920ae5b0d557.png

chris-davis-bat-break.gif

image.png.14c73946a952a9ca6270e4596facf97c.png

May I ask what site those stats are from? I was just looking for that exact statistic.

Just now, meh2 said:

May I ask what site those stats are from? I was just looking for that exact statistic.

Fangraphs team leaderboards.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, havey16 said:

Isn't it supposed to snow or something tomorrow? Hope they get the game in

No snow reaches down into Boston but it's suppose to be freezing rain into cold rain.  Iffy so you have to monitor the situation.  Monday's forecast is worse so they may try and squeeze the game in.  Hope he is as good of a mudder as he is in more pleasant weather conditions.  If he is and the game gets played the Os are in for a miserable day both ways.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Posted (edited)

What an effort today

9ip 3.00 ERA 0.67 WHIP and 15Ks

Slider was just too nasty

All Hail Chris SALE!

Edited by terminator10
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

What an effort today

9ip 3.00 ERA 0.67 WHIP and 15Ks

Slider was just too nasty

All Hail Chris SALE!

And the only run he gave up post going to multiple signs was the one to the catcher. 

The first two innings the Jays were stealing signs which is no surprise.  For decades they have been the best in baseball thanks to their gear they use out in centerfield.  And nothing wrong with that.  I'm not calling the Jays out.  I love this stuff in baseball and in fact I admire their skills with cameras and zoom lenses. 

The surprise was that Boston hadn't gone to multiple signs until after Sale gave up the first two runs.  Because all the teams in the AL East routinely use multiple signs when they are in Toronto.  So that's on the Red Sox coaching staff because they know better than just using standard signs there so I wonder who screwed up this time.

Anyway as soon as the pitching coach came to the mound in the 2nd and told Sale and Leon to go to the multiple sign format Sale just mowed down everyone after that except for the one solo shot.

BTW 116 pitches in the game.  He also tied his personal best for number of K's in a game.

Best part of owning Sale: seeing a line like today's, shrugging, and looking for something else to complain about.

Anyone worried about Sale? Last couple starts haven't been very Sale-like.

1 minute ago, ecac said:

Anyone worried about Sale? Last couple starts haven't been very Sale-like.

Yes! Very much so.

2 minutes ago, Dalton Gang said:

Yes! Very much so.

Not really, he's had these little bad stretches before.

I recently did a 2 for 1 to get him.  A deal I viewed as larceny. The trade processed the Friday he struck out 14 or so Blue Jays, but I didn't receive credit for that start. So, exasperatedly, I've only gotten 1 quality start in like 4 or 5 tries out of him. The last time I owned him, 2015, outside of two otherworldly months (May & June) he was mediocre. My history with him hasn't been peaches and cream.  

2 hours ago, Dalton Gang said:

Yes! Very much so.

Nope.  Like any other pitcher has experienced at times, he didn't have a "feel" for one of his pitches on this given night.  He didn't have a feel for his fastball so he threw almost all sliders and change ups and the Astros knew it and waited for same.

Ok so I may have over reacted based on having a bad fantasy week but really needed a win from him tonight and didn’t get it. He is supposed to be my ace and lately he hasn’t really been.

3 hours ago, Dalton Gang said:

Ok so I may have over reacted based on having a bad fantasy week but really needed a win from him tonight and didn’t get it. He is supposed to be my ace and lately he hasn’t really been.

Lately?  Like in one week only?  He had two bad starts in a row.  A mere two.  He is a great pitcher but even he doesn't walk on water.