Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy_Slippers

Chris Sale 2018 Outlook

Back on track, looked great today. Was striking out guys with 100mph fastballs! Too bad the run support wasn't there...

Well when you're going up against the likes of Dylan "Cy" Covey, you just assume a loss is coming. 

Interesting side-by-side video on his delivery shown by Sox booth during the game.  His two games where he was bad he had moved to pitching with his side turned towards the batter and directly facing 1B like he would in the stretch position but now he was using it in the wind-up.  And he got clobbered.

This outing and the last one -- that is the two excellent ones after the Houston disaster -- he turned to almost face the batter directly before he started his wind-up.  More like it had been before but far more extreme then it had been prior to that weird sideways stance.  Something about twisting his body around in the pivot gave him an extra something to his delivery.  Honestly I didn't get the physics of it because I was on the phone at the same time.

Anyway the result of this new stance the last two games in that he has never thrown as hard in his whole entire career.  He had a 100 mph pitch in that last game and a couple of 99 mph ones.  He had never been up that fast before.  This game he was at 99 several times too.  And his control was excellent in this new stance too. 

In other words, ladies and gentlemen, Chris Sale just discovered a way to pitch both faster and better.

(Can't wait for those saber fantasy sites to notice and try and explain this since they didn't see the explanation about simply starting from a different position on the mound.  I bet they will come up with any number of weird theories to explain the sudden "increase in velo" that make no sense and center on the health of the arm and the "inverted W" etc etc).

All hail Chris Sale!

7ip 0.00 ERA 0.71WHIP 13Ks and....a WIN

Saw some balls reaching 101mph today....WOW

you guys starting @NYY today? 

the middle of their lineup is scary (and so is their ballpark):

RHB Judge

RHB Stanton

RHB Torres

RHB Andujar 

36 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

you guys starting @NYY today? 

the middle of their lineup is scary (and so is their ballpark):

RHB Judge 

RHB Stanton

RHB Torres

RHB Andujar 

Hales Yes. Career vs current Yankee Batters:

AVG       OBP     SLG       OPS
0.234    0.28    0.319    0.599

39 Ks, 1 HR - out of 376 pitches faced

Lifetime stats of players you mention:

BATTER                         Pitches    AVG    OBP    SLG        OPS     HR      K     BB
Aaron Judge                      67          0.200   0.333  0.4       0.733    1     10     2
Giancarlo Stanton             10         0.333   0.333   0.333  0.667    0       2      0

Torres/Andujar - no stats

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Hales Yes. Career vs current Yankee Batters:

AVG       OBP     SLG       OPS
0.234    0.28    0.319    0.599

39 Ks, 1 HR - out of 376 pitches faced

Lifetime stats of players you mention:

BATTER                         Pitches    AVG    OBP    SLG        OPS     HR      K     BB
Aaron Judge                      67          0.200   0.333  0.4       0.733    1     10     2
Giancarlo Stanton             10         0.333   0.333   0.333  0.667    0       2      0

Torres/Andujar - no stats

Yay - sometimes numbers are actually predictive. Total ownage of the Yanks by Sale in his career.

He is the Mike Trout of pitchers.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, B&F said:

He is the Mike Trout of pitchers.

didnt realize i was in the luis severino thread

Don't know where I'd be w/o this freak of nature.

• Like 2

Seems like ages ago when I was complaining about him giving up a couple runs and not getting the win. He has been crazy good lately.

This guy's amazing. I thought he'd be injury prone and after he wore down in 2012 (breakout year) I did not keep him. But he's proven me very wrong.

Posted (edited)

Just a gentle reminder: Sale is a first half monster and falls off a bit after the break virtually every year. Now is the time to sell high and grab an Arenado or whatever for him. 

Edited by sleepysock