Evincar

Dalvin Cook 2018 Outlook

Looks like he's on track in his rehab. Hopefully he's a full go in training camp.

I'm optimistic about Cook in PPR next season.    McKinnon is likely gone, they're not going to pay him as well as Murray when Cook was so promising.    I think Cook provides the higher floor with plenty of catches, and is good enough as a rusher to consider in the mix beyond the top running backs.  I have Melvin Gordon in mind as a comparable.   Too optimistic?  

37 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I'm optimistic about Cook in PPR next season.    McKinnon is likely gone, they're not going to pay him as well as Murray when Cook was so promising.    I think Cook provides the higher floor with plenty of catches, and is good enough as a rusher to consider in the mix beyond the top running backs.  I have Melvin Gordon in mind as a comparable.   Too optimistic?  

Maybe not optimistic enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Evincar said:

Looks like he's on track in his rehab. Hopefully he's a full go in training camp.

Smart owners won't overrate him in 2018 to the level he was overrated in 2017. Three major surgeries in college should have told everyone he was made of glass -- before he only played 3.5 NFL games before breaking again. Wasn't missed ROS, which tells you their OL was good at run blocking all season. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Smart owners won't overrate him in 2018 to the level he was overrated in 2017. Three major surgeries in college should have told everyone he was made of glass -- before he only played 3.5 NFL games before breaking again. Wasn't missed ROS, which tells you their OL was good at run blocking all season. 

Wasn't missed rest of season?? He averaged 4.8 yds per carry.  His two replacements averaged 3.8.  

20 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

He was missed for sure.

But agreed on the first point. He is on my dnd list.

49 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Wasn't missed rest of season?? He averaged 4.8 yds per carry.  His two replacements averaged 3.8.  

Easy to do that in 3.5 games. McKinnon's YPC his first 3 games was also near 5. 

Cook has done nothing except look good (on par with McKinnon) in less than 4 games before suffering ANOTHER extensive injury, and people are talking about him as an elite player next year? PT Barnum sure was right. 

21 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Easy to do that in 3.5 games. McKinnon's YPC his first 3 games was also near 5. 

Cook has done nothing except look good (on par with McKinnon) in less than 4 games before suffering ANOTHER extensive injury, and people are talking about him as an elite player next year? PT Barnum sure was right. 

I agree with the injury part.  But to say he looked on par with Mckinnon is a joke.  McKinnon is good at one thing as a pass catching RB.  Cook looked very good at both rushing and receiving. If you want to knock him because of his injuries fine but don't compare him to his subpar replacements.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, youngrice said:

I agree with the injury part.  But to say he looked on par with Mckinnon is a joke.  McKinnon is good at one thing as a pass catching RB.  Cook looked very good at both rushing and receiving. If you want to knock him because of his injuries fine but don't compare him to his subpar replacements.

Cook has to actually play in order to be viewed as good, IMO. McKinnon was there when his team needed him most, helping his team to a 12-2 record (including playoffs) compared to the 2-2 record in games Cook actually played.  McKinnon is more durable, and is a FAR better athlete than Cook.

But I can see already from the groundswell of support that Cook is likely to have a 2nd rd ADP in drafts next year. I would be thrilled with that many people overreaching for him, so I'll refrain further from derailing his hype train. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, joshua18 said:

Cook has to actually play in order to be viewed as good, IMO. McKinnon was there when his team needed him most, helping his team to a 12-2 record (including playoffs) compared to the 2-2 record in games Cook actually played.  McKinnon is more durable, and is a FAR better athlete than Cook.

But I can see already from the groundswell of support that Cook is likely to have a 2nd rd ADP in drafts next year. I would be thrilled with that many people overreaching for him, so I'll refrain further from derailing his hype train. 

I agree with you on the injury part and doubt he will end up on any of my teams.   Since I won't spend a late second to third rounder with his injury history.  

But to say the Vikes didn't miss him and his scrub replacements performed the same is far from the truth.  Sure Mckinnon is a far better athlete but he is a far better athlete then almost every RB in the NFL.  He was something like 96 percentile all time in sparq score(not sure what that is).   But does not make you a good football player.

• Like 1

Better - McKinnon was absolutely off the charts in SPARQ.  100th percentile.

What injury issues did he have in college?  I dont recall anything that caused missed games.  I remember all the legal issues, but since he was a Seminole he got a slap on the wrist.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrianM said:

What injury issues did he have in college?  I dont recall anything that caused missed games.  I remember all the legal issues, but since he was a Seminole he got a slap on the wrist.   

He played 38 games in 3 years so he didn’t miss much.

• Like 1

I am banking on him in Dynasty, for better or for worse.  He sure seemed like the real deal when he was out there playing.  Hopefully McKinnon heads to the Giants.

On 1/22/2018 at 5:53 PM, joshua18 said:

How could he be overrated going into next season? You actually think someone will cut into his volume next season? Highly unlikely.

Before getting hurt he was used in the passing game and was looking like he was good for at least 20 touches a game. The offense is solid, the defense turns the ball over a lot, Vikings lead a lot and a lot of red zone opportunities. I don't see much of a difference between drafting Cook and many of the "elite" backs. 2nd round is where I'd feel very comfortable drafting him. 

But your argument back is about to be "Cook is injury prone." Keenan Allen was "injury prone" last year and David Johnson had less "injury risk" than Le'Veon Bell last year according to you. I'm looking forward to the 2018 "injury prone" comments you'll be making all throughout the forums. 

• Like 3

Dalvin Cook was a bad MFer in college and showed he can be just as bad in the pros. 

Everyone always wants to predict the next injury. They probably throw about 20 "he will get injured guaranteed, DND him or else" per season. Maybe 5 or 6 actually do happen and they highlight and refer to those over and over while completely forgetting the other 15. Injury predictions are a crap shoot, that's it. 

The truth is, it's the hardest hitting professional sport there is outside of literally fighting, Guys will get injured. David Johnson was a lock for first pick last year, and no one got to enjoy any of him. I enjoyed a 2000 yard Demarco Murray season one year cause everyone in my league knew he'd get injured and slept on him. 

None of us can see the future with regards to injuries so I just recommend we evaluate guys on talent and opportunity. Steph curry was never gonna be great cause his baby ankles were always gonna hold him back. Now he's the captain hand choosing the worst all star team of all time. 

I have D. Cook going in the 2nd round (PPR).

Is he an injury risk? Yes, but only a bit more than the rest...

Cook has shown he can play in the NFL at a high level, and has high upside.

After the 2nd round you get guys that are even bigger question marks.  

Howard runs well, but doesn’t catch enough (he’s my fallback choice).

Are you going to take guys like CJ Anderson, or Henry over Cook?  Not a chance in hell...

How about the Jets, Raiders, Buccaneers situations, etc.?

I place a high value on guys like Cook because you know he’s THE MAN.

The other option is grabbing several rookies mid-draft and hope for the best. 

I think Cook is stud.  But I would really have a hard time taking a RB off ACL surgery as my second round pick.  I know Charles and AP had huge seasons coming off ACL injuries.  But even they were discounted to third or fourth round picks and that was two guys with alot of proven history.  Both guys were truly special athletes and had amazing work ethic.  Lets also not forget Charles was unable to come back from his last ACL the next year.  I don't know much about Cook besides watching him play.  Is he known to have great work ethic?

I dont think injury prone is a completely invalid argument with certain guys (Danny Woodhead for example), but it does get overused and there's zero logic to apply it to Cook on the basis of an injury that a high number of RB's suffer at least once.   

When a player has something chronic, like Charles Clay's knee,  Percy Harvin's migraines,  Andrew Luck's shoulder, or Kevin White's entire body, you can call that out logically.  But a single ligament tear or something of the postseason cleanup variety should not apply.   

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, youngrice said:

I think Cook is stud.  But I would really have a hard time taking a RB off ACL surgery as my second round pick.  I know Charles and AP had huge seasons coming off ACL injuries.  But even they were discounted to third or fourth round picks and that was two guys with alot of proven history.  Both guys were truly special athletes and had amazing work ethic.  Lets also not forget Charles was unable to come back from his last ACL the next year.  I don't know much about Cook besides watching him play.  Is he known to have great work ethic?

Charles was 29 when he had his second ACL injury, so its no surprise that he was finished. Keenan Allen just posted a career year the season after tearing his ACL.

If Cook is a full go by training camp I wont be that concerned. 

McKinnon truthers are the worst. He's a nobody next to Cook, which is why he couldn't even beat out Asiata. 

He's a one trick pass catching back with bad vision running the ball. He's basically Andre Ellington 2.0. 

Cook should be a stud next season. Especially if, somehow, Bradford comes back. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The thing I liked the most about him this past season when watching his games was that he was pretty good in pass protection. Even in the first game he played. That tells the coaches that he can be trusted for 3 downs. That is huge, especially with where he will be picked this upcoming season. His injury history seems to be baked into his value. Otherwise, he would be going in the first round. Just my opinion.

On 1/22/2018 at 3:53 PM, joshua18 said:

I've learned to avoid paying attention to if a player is "injury prone" all together.

I was also told Gronk, Hyde, Jeffery, Bell, Shady, Bryant, Allen, and others were injury prone. No one said DJ, ODB, and Rodgers are injury prone now did they?

Injuries are almost all luck. 

• Like 5

I love Cook but I do think the Vikings are going to ease him back in during 2018. Even if he is fully healthy I think that limits his production and wouldn’t feel too safe with him as my RB1 for 2018 only. 

On 1/26/2018 at 4:16 PM, Gohawks said:

I've learned to avoid paying attention to if a player is "injury prone" all together.

I was also told Gronk, Hyde, Jeffery, Bell, Shady, Bryant, Allen, and others were injury prone. No one said DJ, ODB, and Rodgers are injury prone now did they?

Injuries are almost all luck. 

I think it is more that the NFL is injury provoking than players being injury prone. It’s a violent sport where 275 lb linebackers are selling out every play. It’s like getting hit by a small car in terms of force.

Edited by Wild Thing