Evincar

Dalvin Cook 2018 Outlook

9 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

Cook will play on third downs, and Cousins is known for dumping short passes in those situations.

Shatner never had the caliber of a Thielen/Diggs combo on the outside.

7 minutes ago, jmausen said:

Cook started with big volume last year because Murray was recovering from off-season ankle surgery.

People expect him to start with big volume again this year. 

He's over valued.

He doesn’t even need full volume to get value. He was crushing with 20 carries. 

Every back is going to cede a few carries. Look at Hunt last year. 

1 minute ago, TommyKramer said:

My take on Cook is he's a 3rd round value fantasy player going in the 2nd round. 

So you have Mixon over him?

[We are not going to let this thread circle the drain with personal attacks and "I wish you were in my league" chest-thumping.  Make your points about the player and keep your comments about other members to yourself or warnings will be issued.]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Players I rather have than Cook at this stage in no particular order:

Bell

Brown

Gurley

Johnson

Elliot

Kamara

Barkley

Fournette

Gordon

Hopkins

ODB

Hunt

Howard

CMC

M. Thomas

Freeman

Julio

Allen

Green

Diggs

Hill

Evans

Adams

Hilton

Gronk

Puts him at the top of the 3rd. 

7 minutes ago, Magoo said:

So you have Mixon over him?

In real life football?  No.  For fantasy football this season?  Yes

7 minutes ago, TommyKramer said:

In real life football?  No.  For fantasy football this season?  Yes

Bold. What about Howard.

Just now, Magoo said:

Bold. What about Howard.

Even easier choice.  JoHo is going to have a BIG year

9 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Players I rather have than Cook at this stage in no particular order:

Bell

Brown

Gurley

Johnson

Elliot

Kamara

Barkley

Fournette

Gordon

Hopkins

ODB

Hunt

Howard

CMC

M. Thomas

Freeman

Julio

Allen

Green

Diggs

Hill

Evans

Adams

Hilton

Gronk

Puts him at the top of the 3rd. 

Moving 5 or 6 picks one way or another isn’t that much variance TBH. Evans over him is bold.

• Like 1

Just now, TommyKramer said:

Even easier choice.  JoHo is going to have a BIG year

Wow. Thx for the response. 

4 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Bold. What about Howard.

Howard is going to finish top 5. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Howard is going to finish top 5. 

I hope you’re right on that one!

• Like 1

reached for cook with 20th. Guys like Gronk, Howard, Mixon, Freeman, Mckinnon went after.

Honestly LM will eat into his production but end of 2nd to mid 3rd isn't really a risky pick. 

Cook was solid last year before he got injured. It will be interesting to see how he panes out this year. I had him last year, probably won't draft again

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

Cook was solid last year before he got injured. It will be interesting to see how he panes out this year. I had him last year, probably won't draft again

I was looking forward to taking him this year until the mumblings about Murray. Anytime a player is a threat to steal goal line work, it makes me nervous. 

People are over estimating L. Murray’s talent.  Murray is a high end backup (change of pace) that can play a low end starters role.  Against poor defenses Murray looks good.  Against good defenses Murray looks poor.  

The Viking will use Murray a lot starting the year, because Cook is coming off injury and he has an injury history.  But, Cook is vastly superior in the passing game and I expect him to show superiority in the running game as well.  What you’ll get is Murray poaching time and TDs early but less so as the season goes on.

The Viking are all in on winning a Super Bowl, they’ll be playing their best offensive weapons and that includes Cook.

My plan is to trade for Cook in the first 4 weeks... I’ll be watching the usage numbers closely.

It’s great there is so much negativity surrounding Cook lately, it’s opening up opportunities.

There's no question this kid is sliding.  I got him in the mid teens in a 12 team redraft earlier this week, and in my upcoming 12 teamer, the intel is that he will be available for me at pick 17 if I so choose to take him.  There is clear risk in taking him early, but he genuinely does have top 5 upside.  Sure it was small sample but I remember watching his games last year and thinking "1st round pick next year".  I wasn't alone either.   I might pass on him this week since I scratched that itch already, but I do understand the concerns with Cook.  If the knee is sound and holds up, I do believe he will be an easy RB1.    This offense should be very good, the defense should provide a lot of offensive possessions, as well as great field position, and he catches passes so he isn't a risk to leave the field on a specific down.   The proper draft slot for him is somewhere inside that late 2nd, early 3rd round turn.

I purchased Dalvin in both of my Auction leagues.  $200 budget and he went for $45 and $42 respectively.  For comparison all other RB's ranging from Gurley to Gordon went anywhere from mid $50's to low $70's.  McCaffrey went for an average of $47, Mixon for $43, Howard for $37, and McKinnon for $35.  So this basically put Dalvin in the range of McCaffrey/Mixon.  McCaffrey/Mixon stock has risen quite a bit these last two weeks while Cook's has sunk.  I believe that the new market rate for Cook is about right and I'm still okay with taking him as my RB1 at 12th-14th overall.  I think if Cook slips past 16th overall he's really good value there.  If healthy I think Cook will finish in the RB5-RB8 range. 

I too am curious what kind of split we will see in week 1 for Minny.  I can't imagine they would give Cook a ton of touches after only seeing 2 in the preseason, coming off an ACL.  I'd expect more of a 50/50 split this week, but I haven't seen anything written or said anywhere about it.

Murray is nothing but a safety net that will get 30-35% of work to spell Cook.  Thats typical of an NFL backfield.  I've been saying it all preseason.  Hold me accountable.  It might be 60/40 the first game but Cook is going to eat this year unless Minnesota is up big in the 4th quarter.