Evincar

Dalvin Cook 2018 Outlook

They're going to ease him back in. Similar to how AP was when he came off a torn ACL. Started the season a bit slow but then blew up.

Looking to be a good buy-low early on.

Edited by Pooskay
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

They're going to ease him back in. Similar to how AP was when he came off a torn ACL. Started the season a bit slow but then blew up.

AP averaged nearly 20 carries per game his first 4 weeks. In his very first game back he got 17 but alright.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

AP had over 15 carries per game that season.  It was sporadic and game based.  He was not eased.

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

AP averaged nearly 20 carries per game his first 4 weeks. In his very first game back he got 17 but alright.

This ^^^^^:

2 minutes ago, matlee15 said:

AP had over 15 carries per game that season.  It was sporadic and game based.  He was not eased.

He actually averaged over 20 CPG that season. His case is nothing like that of Cook. He was clearly always going to dominate. There was not a single whisper of anyone taking away from his workload because that would be absolutely ridiculous. Cook may be good but he is no A.P. Not even close.

Coach Mike Zimmer confirmed Dalvin Cook (knee) is "ready to roll" for Week 1 against the 49ers.

There wasn't any doubt about Cook's availability for the opener, but just how big of a workload he'll see against San Francisco remains a legitimate question. Cook rushed just two times for one yard this preseason. If he wasn't coming off an injury, that wouldn't be much of a concern, but it signals the Vikings could hold him back some in the early stages of the season. Latavius Murray could play a larger role in September and should be added in standard, TD-heavy leagues.

Sep 5 - 11:03 AM

I love how the RW blurb writer has an idea in his head and he just publishes it as fact.  Zimmer says he is ready to roll.  To me, that says, all systems go, no holding back, let's bust out of the gate, etc.  But to the blurb writer, it means there is going to be some handling of Cook with kid gloves, etc.  In the end, nobody knows what the usage will be until the whistle blows.  You can say all you want about Murray, the PRESEASON touches he got, etc.  But in the end, nobody really knows.  I would imagine if you have drafted Cook in the second, you really have no choice but to trot him out. 

47 minutes ago, CooL said:

I love how the RW blurb writer has an idea in his head and he just publishes it as fact.  Zimmer says he is ready to roll.  To me, that says, all systems go, no holding back, let's bust out of the gate, etc.  But to the blurb writer, it means there is going to be some handling of Cook with kid gloves, etc.  In the end, nobody knows what the usage will be until the whistle blows.  You can say all you want about Murray, the PRESEASON touches he got, etc.  But in the end, nobody really knows.  I would imagine if you have drafted Cook in the second, you really have no choice but to trot him out. 

I agree and all picks in the first several rounds should be starting.  I haven't seen Cook fall past a third so he should be rolled out.  I also think that we take preseason into account way too much.  You can get a few tidbits but coaches intentionally hide game strategy and personnel.  

Vikings OC John DeFilippo said he's "not sure" if Dalvin Cook (knee) will be on a pitch count against the 49ers in Week 1.

"There’s nothing that hasn’t told us that he can’t carry the load," said DeFilippo. "If that does arise where he needs a break, we’re confident in all the guys that we’re able to put in the football game." #CompetitionAdvantage is obviously a factor as the Vikings don't want to reveal their game plan to the 49ers ahead of time, though it does sound like the coaching staff is fairly confident in Cook's ability to handle a full workload. Latavius Murray remains a threat to Cook's workload, particularly on the goal line, though the second-year back still needs to be started in all formats.

Sep 6 - 1:13 PM

Very encouraging news for us Cook owners, which is what I've been thinking the whole preseason.  But the Latavius truthers will still find a way to say this will be a 50-50 or 60-40 timeshare.  Starting with 110% confidence.

trying to recall if there have been any good-excellent RB's who tore their ACL in their rookie season?

Not a good sign to see it happen so soon.

7 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

trying to recall if there have been any good-excellent RB's who tore their ACL in their rookie season?

Not a good sign to see it happen so soon.

I don't think it means anything.  A fellow by the name of Todd Gurley tore his ACL in 2014 in college after only playing 5 games that year, and then went on to enter the NFL Draft, get taken 10th overall, and I would say the results are pretty positive.

Doctors also say that there is a higher likelihood of a non-surgically repaired ACL blowing out than there is with a surgically repaired one.  

I'm not too worried.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, handyandy86 said:

Doctors also say that there is a higher likelihood of a non-surgically repaired ACL blowing out than there is with a surgically repaired one.  

I'm not too worried.

This is true. He should of just had the other one operated on too since he was under the knife.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, CooL said:

"There wasn't any doubt about Cook's availability for the opener, but just how big of a workload he'll see against San Francisco remains a legitimate question. 

If he wasn't coming off an injury, that wouldn't be much of a concern, but it signals the Vikings could hold him back some in the early stages of the season. Latavius Murray could play a larger role in September and should be added in standard, TD-heavy leagues."

He didn't really post anything as fact. A lot of the blurbs are guessing. If you don't like their guessing, don't read them.  I don't agree with them always, but they are generally reasonable.

• Like 2

https://247sports.com/Article/Dalvin-Cook-playing-Sunday-after-family-member-shot-121545056/

Dalvin Cook’s uncle, who is younger than him and was like a brother to him, remains in an induced coma after being shot through the neck and throat, the Minnesota Vikings star running back said Friday.

Anthony Jones, a Florida International University running back who was raised in the same house with Cook, was one of two players shot Thursday afternoon in Opa-locka, Fla. The other victim, Mershawn Miller, is Cook’s cousin, he said, and was shot in the arm.

(...)

Cook said he talked to Vikings general manager Rick Spielman, head coach Mike Zimmer and running backs coach Kennedy Polamalu about the situation. They told him he could handle the next few days however he wanted to, but Cook wants to play in Sunday’s regular-season opener at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis against the San Francisco 49ers and “for sure” use his concern for his uncle as inspiration.

Wow. That is a horrible story.

• Sad 1

Have to admit, even though his final line wasn’t all that good, I came away very encouraged with what I saw. First game back and he was in there for most of the game. Almost all of the red zone looks as well. Murray was there to give  him a breather. Zimmer and that staff know who Murray is. 

As long as he stays healthy, big season ahead. 

Edited by Sonny_D

1 minute ago, Sonny_D said:

Have to admit, even though his final line wasn’t all that good, I came away very encouraged with what I saw. First game back and he was in there for most of the game. Almost all of the red zone looks as well. Murray was there to give  him a breather. Zimmer and that staff know who Murray is. 

As long as he stays healthy, big season ahead. 

Dalvin Cook played 57-of-71 (80 percent) snaps Week 1 against the 49ers.

There were concerns the Vikings would ease Cook back into action coming off an ACL tear and limited preseason, but that was not the case. Cook dominated the snaps, saw 16 carries, and was targeted seven times in the passing game. Back to his workhorse role, Cook will be a solid RB1 next week in Green Bay.

Sep 10 - 9:32 AM

Yup.  My thoughts too.  He didn't look that great running the ball, but he was heavily involved in the passing game.  Stay healthy my man.

At one point in the game the carry split was like 80%/20%.  Murray only got work at the very end to run out time.  Now where are all the morons who were worried about Murray?  Crickets per usual.  

5 hours ago, matlee15 said:

At one point in the game the carry split was like 80%/20%.  Murray only got work at the very end to run out time.  Now where are all the morons who were worried about Murray?  Crickets per usual.  

Exactly. All the talk about this being anywhere close to an even split was truly comical. People in here talking about actually being "plugged in" to information straight from Minnesota as opposed to just our speculation. Sometimes it's just common sense. Seemed fairly obvious.

He’s looking great so far, his receiving game is crucial. He should be a way tougher test for GB than Howard was

Very reassured after psyching myself out for drafting him in front of McCaffrey 

5 minutes ago, TTo34 said:

I thought I had a winner with this guy.  JAG.

The f*** are you talking about? He looked great, Vikings had 13 rushing plays in regulation. You obviously didn't actually watch the game.

2 minutes ago, jujuonthebeat said:

The f*** are you talking about? He looked great, Vikings had 13 rushing plays in regulation. You obviously didn't actually watch the game.

I'm not talking about how he looked.  I'm talking about his production, and unfortunately, it's just not there.