Evincar

Dalvin Cook 2018 Outlook

14 hours ago, CooL said:

Doesn't sound very encouraging despite the full practice.  If he was a gamer, he'd be out there.  But if this guy is going to wait until he's 100%, that could be a while it sounds.   I just keep thinking, it could be worse, and I could own Fournette.

I own both in a league.  rip me

He ruin everything , I had LM as a strong RB2 until news of him practicing , what don’t they just rull him out 

• Thanks 1

jnmmrfkzgrr1ktepwzpi.gif

Edit: I just don't get it. The teams says they don't want to bring him back to quickly. He says himself that there's not point in coming back if he's not 100% - "70% or 80% doesn't help the team." And then they turn around a day later and decide, "well, f*** it, he's obviously not healthy enough for a full game but let's run him out there anyway and see what happens." You know what's going to happen! For Christ's sake, is this team run by a bunch of f***ing morons!?

Edited by DekuTree
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DekuTree said:

jnmmrfkzgrr1ktepwzpi.gif

Edit: I just don't get it. The teams says they don't want to bring him back to quickly. He says himself that there's not point in coming back if he's not 100% - "70% or 80% doesn't help the team." And then they turn around a day later and decide, "well, f*** it, he's obviously not healthy enough for a full game but let's run him out there anyway and see what happens." You know what's going to happen! For Christ's sake, is this team run by a bunch of f***ing morons!?

Killer Gif game.

This signifies to me that he is 100%, but coming back after a layoff still can be tough.  Better to give him a lighter load up front.

18 minutes ago, irbwilleo said:

Killer Gif game.

This signifies to me that he is 100%, but coming back after a layoff still can be tough.  Better to give him a lighter load up front.

I sure hope this is the case, but reports seem to indicate that he wasn't back to feeling 100 yet. This one is almost more damning:

6 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Is he completely unstartable? 

The Vikes held true to their word regarding "pitch count" last time. 

And this ^ is what is the most frightening, especially in light of how early they brought him back last time and the "limited work" they gave him to bring him along that apparently set him back even longer. At this point I'm starting to worry that the hamstring is the excuse they're giving for his ACL not feeling great after his heavier load to start the season, and at this point they're essentially just letting him 'dip a toe in' every couple of games to see how it feels. 

Edited by DekuTree

1 minute ago, DekuTree said:

At this point I'm starting to worry that the hamstring is the excuse they're giving for his ACL not feeling great after his heavier load to start the season, and at this point they're essentially just letting him 'dip a toe in' every couple of games to see how it feels. 

If his surgery was on the same leg and it was a hamstring graft repair... makes sense. I thought coming back from an ACL was realistically 12 months minimum. I know there are some superfreaks who do it in 9, but that is very much the exception rather than the norm.

This guy has singlehandedly torpedoed my season. How many of us have draft regret?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ugh. This is what I was worried about. I don't think hamstrings are "almost healed". They're either good to go or they're not. Putting him on a pitch count with an almost healed hamstring isn't going to prevent him from messing it up again. He's going to hurt it again and have to sit out next week. This really is moronic management of his injury by the team.

It really is amazing.... The Vikings have already tried this "limited snaps" strategy with him and he missed the next 2 weeks.  This isn't hard.  You sit him until he says he's 100%, then you sit him another week.  This type of foolery, not to be confused with tomfoolery, has been proven to not work.... It's so dumb, you sort of hope they get punished for it and miss the playoffs.

• Like 3

First I think people misunderstand the term "pitch count." What does a pitch count even mean? It could mean instead of 80% of the snaps they want to hold him to around 70% of the snaps. It could also mean that instead of 80% of the snaps they want him to only get 30%. However, on those 30% of the snaps he could get 15+ total touches. Obviously no one wants the term "pitch count" being thrown around for their player and there is obvious risk built in but it is a very subjective term and there is really no way of knowing what it actually means. 

Also, not notion that Cook was on a snap count in week 4 is also ridiculous despite what the Rotoworld blurbs may say. Cook had 5 carries on the 1st drive of the game, 3 on the 2nd drive, 0 on the 3rd drive (no RB had a carry and it was only a 3 play drive), and 2 on the 4th drive which was a 3 and out. So on the first 4 drives of the game, the Vikings gave Cook 10 carries. During those 4 drives the Vikings ran 31 offensive plays where no running back other than Dalvin Cook received a carry. Cook touched the ball on roughly 33% of the Vikings offensive plays to start the game. If Cook was on a snap count, why would they use ALL of his snaps on the first few drives of the game? The answer is because he wasn't on a snap count, at least not the kind of snap count that people traditionally think of. The reason why he didn't receive more touches after that is because he re-aggravated his hamstring not because of some "snap count."

I don't know where the beat reporters keep getting the snap count information but his usage, at least in week 4, suggests he was no where close to a snap count. And if it was a snap count then that should not be a worry because he was getting plenty of work. 

I could care less about the "snap count" narrative, I only care about the risk of re-injuring his hamstring if he plays. Cook has made it sound as if he's not going to play unless he's 100% so if he's active on Sunday I will have him in my lineup.

Edited by munde53
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It really is amazing.... The Vikings have already tried this "limited snaps" strategy with him and he missed the next 2 weeks.  This isn't hard.  You sit him until he says he's 100%, then you sit him another week.  This type of foolery, not to be confused with tomfoolery, has been proven to not work.... It's so dumb, you sort of hope they get punished for it and miss the playoffs.

I’m actually only hoping Cook is 100%, don’t care at all about Vikings playoff hopes, but I understand your frustration. 

10 minutes ago, munde53 said:

I could care less about the "snap count" narrative, I only care about the risk of re-injuring his hamstring if he plays. Cook has made it sound as if he's not going to play unless he's 100% so if he's active on Sunday I will have him in my lineup.

I tend to agree. The problem is the Vikings offensive line isn't very good. The only reason I'd lean towards throwing him out there is because of what he said himself, he won't play unless he's 100. So if he plays, I assume he feels 100. The other is Arizona can't even stop a nose bleed right now. If there was one game on the Vikes schedule where an RB might break 4 yards per carry with this putrid o-line, this is the week. 

Edited by A27K

14 minutes ago, A27K said:

I tend to agree. The problem is the Vikings offensive line isn't very good. The only reason I'd lean towards throwing him out there is because of what he said himself, he won't play unless he's 100. So if he plays, I assume he feels 100. The other is Arizona can't even stop a nose bleed right now. If there was one game on the Vikes schedule where an RB might break 4 yards per carry with this putrid o-line, this is the week. 

To elaborate on the “line isn’t very good” concept: the Vikings have allowed only 157 yards before first contact on average (2.0 per attempt) - good for second-worst in the league.  Only the Bucs’ joke of a run-blocking unit is worse.

Edited by BMcP

1 minute ago, A27K said:

Cook was a monster last year with an equally bad offensive line. Obviously I'd love for Cook to be running behind and Eagles level offensive line but Cook is such a great player he'll be just fine. If Chris Carson and Mike Davis can rush for 100+ yards behind arguably the worst offensive line in the NFL, Cook can easily do the same behind a slightly better Vikings line with a far more potent passing offense.

MIN ranked 19th overall in Adjusted Line Yards last season (per FO) - so slightly below average.

Just to further show how the term snap count doesn't really tell us anything, Joe Mixon turned his "not full workload" in week 5 into 25 total touches. Those 25 touches are the most touches Mixon has received all year despite beat reporter saying he wasn't going to get a full workload. 

Obviously the Vikings aren't the Bengals and the coaches operate differently but it just shows how beat writers often blow things out of proportion when they really don't have the full story.

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

MIN ranked 19th overall in Adjusted Line Yards last season (per FO) - so slightly below average.

I was using PFF which had the Vikings line ranked at #22 last year and #29 this year. Obviously that takes into account pass blocking as well so it probably isn't as good for looking at the run game.

• Like 1

I thought he said he didn't want to come back until he was "100%"? Now he's playing hurt? Why not sit out until he's healed.

1 hour ago, CooL said:

This guy has singlehandedly torpedoed my season. How many of us have draft regret?

Wish I could give full credit to Cook...but I was tag teamed by him and Fournette.