Rolling Thunder

New York Giants 2018 Outlook

Along with Tampa Bay, the Giants are one of my early front-runners for bounce back candidate of 2018.  They are one year removed from a 13-3 campaign, and they could convert their substantial draft capital into instant impact if they focus on OL and RB (both of which are very deep in this coming draft) and re-commit for another few years to Eli.

To start off the discussion, who has real insight on Shurmur?  Anything will be an improvement over McAdoo, but is Shurmur the guy to refocus this group, just like Marrone and Coughlin were the right guys to refocus an otherwise talented Jags group?

• Like 1

New GM tolerates no nonsense, has told Eli he’s the starter, and is dedicating the offseason towards giving him an nfl caliber offensive line - something Eli tends to win playoff games with

odell, shepard, Engram and the d still has lots of talent - it’s gonna be a quick “rebuild”. Gettleman is an excellent GM 

• Like 1

As long as everybody can stay healthy they have plenty of weapons and should have a solid defense.  But will do no good if they can't fix the line and find some sort of a running game.

I'm not sold on shumur yet. Vikings were a run oriented team and the giants have neither o-line nor rb than can make a difference, lets see what they do in the FA and draft. Also lets see how the new coach and mgmt handle a volatile obj who may not get the contract he wants or the ball enough.

12 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I'm not sold on shumur yet. Vikings were a run oriented team and the giants have neither o-line nor rb than can make a difference, lets see what they do in the FA and draft. Also lets see how the new coach and mgmt handle a volatile obj who may not get the contract he wants or the ball enough.

It’s the same offense Diggs / Thielen thrived in - neither being anywhere near as good as Odell

Del Rio as DC is the real concern. Everywhere he's been, his defense's have underperformed their talent level -- most recently OAK and DEN, because he refuses to blitz. Wasn't shocking to me that once he left DEN that they became one of the greatest defense's of all-time. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

It’s the same offense Diggs / Thielen thrived in - neither being anywhere near as good as Odell

It's not always about talent it's about attitude and participation and fit. Exhibit A Pats offense getting high production out of guys named welker-amendola-edelman. Exhibit B AJG being wasted on the Bengals.

Every year I play fantasy I focus more on situation and fit and less on talent and my teams perform better.

43 minutes ago, dashoe said:

It's not always about talent it's about attitude and participation and fit. Exhibit A Pats offense getting high production out of guys named welker-amendola-edelman. Exhibit B AJG being wasted on the Bengals.

Every year I play fantasy I focus more on situation and fit and less on talent and my teams perform better.

AJ Green is an annual top 5-10 WR ... I’ll gladly continue to draft that waste 

13 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

AJ Green is an annual top 5-10 WR ... I’ll gladly continue to draft that waste 

Doesnt dispute the fact that his talents are wasted on a team that doesnt utilize him to his potential.

I think AJG has the TALENT to finish as a top 3 fantasy wr EVERY season but he doesnt which to me is a WASTE.

Now do u get the point? 

Do you want me to elaborate why Julio Jones TALENT is wasted too?:lol:

Edited by dashoe

14 hours ago, dashoe said:

Doesnt dispute the fact that his talents are wasted on a team that doesnt utilize him to his potential.

I think AJG has the TALENT to finish as a top 3 fantasy wr EVERY season but he doesnt which to me is a WASTE.

Now do u get the point? 

Do you want me to elaborate why Julio Jones TALENT is wasted too?:lol:

so i should pass up on 2 top 10 WRs because I don't agree with play calling ? Got it. Emojis and capitalization certainly help your argument. 

11 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

so i should pass up on 2 top 10 WRs because I don't agree with play calling ? Got it. Emojis and capitalization certainly help your argument. 

I pass up on them every year because guys like you focus on the fact that they are top 10 players on a total points basis and pay up for that.  I get better value with wr's 11-20 and prefer to spend the draft capital on rb 1-10 or te 1-3; particularly in this environment of emerging stud rb's and diminishing weekly wr point production from the top guys. 

Only wr that has been worth his high draft capital year in and year out is AB and i say that as an auction drafter who hates the sky high prices AB goes for. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dashoe said:

I pass up on them every year because guys like you focus on the fact that they are top 10 players on a total points basis and pay up for that.  I get better value with wr's 11-20 and prefer to spend the draft capital on rb 1-10 or te 1-3; particularly in this environment of emerging stud rb's and diminishing weekly wr point production from the top guys. 

Only wr that has been worth his high draft capital year in and year out is AB and i say that as an auction drafter who hates the sky high prices AB goes for. 

cool. go giants. 

• Like 1

I am truly convinced the Giants take Rosen this year and start him over Eli at some point during the season.  Even if the latter never unfolds I would treat the former like it's a lock

14 minutes ago, GreatestShowonTurf said:

I am truly convinced the Giants take Rosen this year and start him over Eli at some point during the season.  Even if the latter never unfolds I would treat the former like it's a lock

I believe the Giants are in a win now mode.

Rosen would be a great long term hold for that franchise, however I believe they can get a king's ransom for that pick if the Browns don't trade out of pick #1 themselves.

With Rosen saying he doesn't want to be a Brown, I think it would be smart for the Browns to trade out of that pick to a QB hungry team and get a truck load of picks where they use those picks they acquire or even the #4 overall to get the QB they want.

It's the Browns though, so they might just hold steady and take Chubb to pair with Myles G or Fitzpatrick to replace Haden.

If that happens the Giants might be more inclined to trade that #2 overall and use the picks they acquire to fill holes to make a run at the NFC.

Giants hired ex-Cardinals DC James Bettcher as defensive coordinator.

Bettcher picked the Giants over the Titans after the Cardinals passed over him in favor of Steve Wilks for their head-coaching job. Bettcher had been the Cardinals' defensive play-caller the past three seasons after Todd Bowles left to coach the Jets. The two will now work in the same home stadium for different teams. Bettcher ran a 3-4 front in Arizona, while the Giants have been a 4-3 team for years. Olivier Vernon and Jason Pierre-Paul may play in more two-point stances.
Related: Cardinals, Titans

Jan 23 - 11:11 PM

3 hours ago, GreatestShowonTurf said:

3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I believe the Giants are in a win now mode.

Rosen would be a great long term hold for that franchise, however I believe they can get a king's ransom for that pick if the Browns don't trade out of pick #1 themselves.

With Rosen saying he doesn't want to be a Brown, I think it would be smart for the Browns to trade out of that pick to a QB hungry team and get a truck load of picks where they use those picks they acquire or even the #4 overall to get the QB they want.

It's the Browns though, so they might just hold steady and take Chubb to pair with Myles G or Fitzpatrick to replace Haden.

If that happens the Giants might be more inclined to trade that #2 overall and use the picks they acquire to fill holes to make a run at the NFC.

Or grab Saquan Barkley although trading that pick for multiple picks to grab a couple of Offensive Linemen makes sense too.

The team likes the QB they drafted in the 3rd round last year, Davis Webb:

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Bolt/Giants-teammates-Davis-Webb-has-the-wow-factor-112262630

Edited by Gryfter

6 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Or grab Saquan Barkley although trading that pick for multiple picks to grab a couple of Offensive Linemen makes sense too.

The team likes the QB they drafted in the 3rd round last year, Davis Webb:

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Bolt/Giants-teammates-Davis-Webb-has-the-wow-factor-112262630

I wouldn't buy into these articles too much.

McAdoo got fired because he wanted to see what other QBs had on his roster in a lost season and chose to evaluate Geno Smith over Webb.

When you get all that backlash and you don't even put Webb out there, you obviously think pretty little of him.

Webb looks like a 7 on 7 beast to me.  He doesn't look like an above average starting NFL QB though.  I don't see much of an NFL future for him.

• Like 2

I think having a competent head coach is a great start.  A last place schedule will be good, too.  Philly is good but may have that Super Bowl hangover.  Washington and Dallas are teams with glaring flaws.  I could easily see New York going from worst to first in 2018 if they stay healthy.  Eli will start all season and be Eli.  In a weak division, that could be enough.

In regards to Webb, its hard for me to believe that a guy like Webb drafted by a regime (McAdoo, Reese) heavily criticized for decision making both on the field and during the draft will be a focal part of a new regime that has zero attachments to him. Keep in mind that we were here before back in 2013 when the Giants inexplicably drafted Ryan Nassib as the heir apparent to Manning.

I Don't get the Shurmer hiring. He's another retread that's had zero to minimal success. Just watch that Eagles beat down again. I would have hired a more progressive thinking candidate. 

Thank goodness they didn't get Del Rio as DC. Hopefully the ARI scheme will suit the personnel. 

The Eagles are young and stacked on both sides of the ball. And as long as #11 is in the NFC the Giants have no shot. Not now anyway.