Rolling Thunder

New York Giants 2018 Outlook

5 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

Poor comparison? They couldn't be any more alike.

how so?

Baker has better pocket presence, better accuracy, better decision making, better leadership

1 minute ago, lolcopter said:

how so?

Baker has better pocket presence, better accuracy, better decision making, better leadership

You say that because the media hasn't turned on Mayfield and painted him into a corner yet. 

Just wait. There's time. The stories aren't developing yet and you can be damn sure they're going to create some. 

Vilifying an athlete is par for the course for the media. I won't be shocked if Mayfield is who they choose and then everyone forgets about his "leadership and pocket presence" 

listening to anything the media ever says was your first mistake

That's EXACTLY what they said about Manziel coming out of college. 

He's another undersized, high energy guy that has questionable skill. He's no Drew Brees or Russel Wilson.

1 minute ago, South Carolina said:

That's EXACTLY what they said about Manziel coming out of college. 

He's another undersized, high energy guy that has questionable skill. He's no Drew Brees or Russel Wilson.

No one thought Brees or Wilson would be great coming out of college. NFL execs mocked Brees' Purdue stats as being an inferior Doug Flutie. Wilson got drafted after a punter, for goodness sakes. 

Accuracy is what I care about...that tends to persist for QBs at the next level. 

• Like 1

Another Giants best writer suggesting they don’t go QB at 2 - as they are very, very high on Webb’s skill set / work ethic + Eli has 2-3 good years left 

Jives with what new GM / headcoach are saying as well - gimme Barkley or a trade down for more picks 

I think Barkley makes a ton of sense at that spot. Darkwa is okay I guess, but aside from him they really don't have any RBs worth mentioning. Like many teams they still need to shore up that OL, but they desperately need a weapon at RB to take some pressure off Eli

Edited by lolcopter

3 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I'm pretty sure he will be there. 

I bet a team that wants him trades up to the end of the first though to grab him. The 5th year rookie option for QBs is "yuuuggee". 

He will be hyped up all offseason and projected super high cause he's the most recent Heisman winner, but then the draft will happen and all the talking heads who had him as a top 10 pick will all say why they knew he'd be drafted this late (they won't know, they don't know what they're doing). 

I agree that’s where he should go, if not later because I think he’s a bust, but when all is said and done I bet he goes in the top 15.

13 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

I think Barkley makes a ton of sense at that spot. Darkwa is okay I guess, but aside from him they really don't have any RBs worth mentioning. Like many teams they still need to shore up that OL, but they desperately need a weapon at RB to take some pressure off Eli

Some rumors of mckinnon coming along with Shurmur ... for the right price, i’d love it - Darkwa is the only back on the roster worth even considering bringing back.

i thought Perkins showed something as a rookie - but he seemed to be running blindfolded last year 

They have so many needs that it wouldn't shock me whatever direction they go draft day. At #2 they have to get a stud regardless. I'm not in love with any of the QB's.

The problem with taking Barkley with the #2 pick is that you're committing to making him the highest paid NFL RB due to the salary scale. 

How is the OL talent in this draft?

17 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

The problem with taking Barkley with the #2 pick is that you're committing to making him the highest paid NFL RB due to the salary scale. 

It's an ok OL draft. That might be a good place to start. Maybe even trade back and stockpile picks. A lot of teams will want to move up for a QB.

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

Hed be the highest paid for like a season, so that’s irrelevant 

He also could very well do for the Giants what Gurley / Zeke have done for their teams. Or they could’ve just drafted a gift-wrapped Gurley when they had the chance ... I hate Jerry Reach.

1 hour ago, joshua18 said:

I fully expect that Giants to free up cap space and use free agency to fill their need at Oline as much as possible as opposed to depending on the draft like Reese did for O-line. Depending on the draft the last few years has netted us Flowers, Pugh, Richburg. Bisnowaty, Bobby Hart, Herman....not impressive at all. I mean who has the Giants spent money on at Oline in recent memory? They been getting guys like DJ Fluker. 

They should go out and draft Barkley and spend some money on oline which sounds like the plan....hopefully right :)

Edited by nonstopfan

55 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

I fully expect that Giants to free up cap space and use free agency to fill their need at Oline as much as possible as opposed to depending on the draft like Reese did for O-line. Depending on the draft the last few years has netted us Flowers, Pugh, Richburg. Bisnowaty, Bobby Hart, Herman....not impressive at all. I mean who has the Giants spent money on at Oline in recent memory? They been getting guys like DJ Fluker. 

They should go out and draft Barkley and spend some money on oline which sounds like the plan....hopefully right :)

Pugh and Richburg were good picks...wasn't Richburg's fault that Coughlin and McAdont played him out of position as a rookie. 

Reese really screwed up by spending on Brandon Marshall instead of on Whitworth, as myself and others were imploring him to do. 

If they spend on the OL in FA, then I have no problem spending on Barkley. But they need D-line depth to keep the pass rush solid for the whole season; their secondary is fine. 

• Like 2

Reese’s biggest issue as a GM was failing to recognize his own mistakes and/or refusing to actually acknowledge them ... it’s blatantly obvious Flowers is not an NFL quality LT - but he reached for him and his refusal to move him out of that sport forces them to miss out on veteran alternatives in free agency 

Or he could’ve just done what I was screaming for during the draft and taken Gurley instead - but I digress ...

looking forward to Gettleman fixing the mess - I hope these QBs test well and teams fight to move up in the draft. I’d love for the Giants to trade down for more picks  and take best OL/ DL available . Games are still won/lost “in the trenches”

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast
  • Like 1

If DHCleats can get the Henry outlook spelled right, how come Josh can't get this one corrected to the New Jersey Giants...is it based on past ff records-??

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2018 at 12:21 PM, joshua18 said:

Pugh and Richburg were good picks...wasn't Richburg's fault that Coughlin and McAdont played him out of position as a rookie. 

Reese really screwed up by spending on Brandon Marshall instead of on Whitworth, as myself and others were imploring him to do. 

If they spend on the OL in FA, then I have no problem spending on Barkley. But they need D-line depth to keep the pass rush solid for the whole season; their secondary is fine. 

Giants currently have only 22m in cap space.  They could create another 12.5m by cutting DRC (6.2), Marshall (5), and Armstrong (1.2).   

But Richberg, Fluker, and Pugh are ALL FAs.

Plus switching from a 4-3 to 3-4 will require another 3-4 DE and WILB.

Having said all of that,  I'm drafting Rosen or Darnold at #2.  I think they both in time can be top 10 NFL QBs.

2 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Richburg is nothing special and Pugh can’t be relied on — good riddance 

You're wrong about Richburg. He has been great ever since he was moved to the position he was drafted to play -- center. 

Pugh is above average...a massive distinction from the other three lineman, especially each of the past two seasons.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joshua18 said:

You're wrong about Richburg. He has been great ever since he was moved to the position he was drafted to play -- center. 

Pugh is above average...a massive distinction from the other three lineman, especially each of the past two seasons.

Second fewest pressures allowed all season - yes, certainly above average.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, joshua18 said:

no, i'm not. Richburg sucks as a run blocker and hasn't been great since 2015.  Pugh, a bust at tackle, hasn't played a full season since 2013. Good left guard,  neither worth the overpaid free agent contracts they'll likely receive. 

* i'd gladly take both back at the right price, but they are not worth overpaying for - which i assume is going to happen in free agency. 

** i hate jerry reese. 

18 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

If you don’t mind my asking - why don’t you think the Giants will contend?

On 1/23/2018 at 9:32 PM, GreatestShowonTurf said:

I am truly convinced the Giants take Rosen this year and start him over Eli at some point during the season.  Even if the latter never unfolds I would treat the former like it's a lock

On 1/23/2018 at 9:56 PM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I believe the Giants are in a win now mode.

On 1/24/2018 at 12:56 AM, Gryfter said:

Or grab Saquan Barkley although trading that pick for multiple picks to grab a couple of Offensive Linemen makes sense too.

The team likes the QB they drafted in the 3rd round last year, Davis Webb:

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-york-giants/Bolt/Giants-teammates-Davis-Webb-has-the-wow-factor-112262630

On 1/25/2018 at 6:08 AM, Marty Funkhouser said:

I don't want Rosen. Concussions, potential shoulder trouble, and I've heard and read he's kind of a douchebag. I don't need that in my franchise quarterback. I'm hoping they trade down. 

On 1/25/2018 at 6:30 AM, petekrum said:

What everyone needs to understand is that if the Giants stay at 2, they are taking a QB. There is no scenario where they take a different position at 2.

On 1/25/2018 at 9:12 AM, nonstopfan said:

Giants choose Barkley. There you have it. A scenario. Lol. They extend Beckham, rebuild the O-Line via draft and free agency and have a solid foundation and arguably top tier players at RB, WR and TE for the next half decade.

On 1/25/2018 at 9:31 AM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Giants should trade down and acquire extra picks from a QB needy team.  Shore up the OL with those picks and grab one of the many very talented backs in this draft as well.  Acquire a RB in FA that won't break the bank.  Someone like JMcK seems probable since he just worked with Shurmur.  They should NOT spend that #2 overall pick on any single position though if they are looking to make a run at the NFC in Eli's remaining window IMO.

On 1/25/2018 at 5:03 PM, South Carolina said:

The Giants need to draft their future QB now. They may not draft this high again. Too bad if it hurts Eli's feelings.

On 1/26/2018 at 1:00 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

For good or ill, it appears that Gettleman and Shurmer are getting behind Eli as the 2018 starter.  I will be shocked, though, unless, despite all the words of praise, the Gints still select a hot QB with the No. 2 overall pick.

If they can fix the line and get some RBs, the team could be pretty good next year.  Eli keeps winning, he will keep his job.

On 1/27/2018 at 9:51 AM, lolcopter said:

They could contend - if they are in win-now mode.

First, I'm not a huge Shurmur fan – very open to being won over. I like the job he did in Minnesota, that was a tough situation.

Second, I think they will draft a QB at 1.02. Which is fine; it doesn't scream win now.

Third, I expect them to be transitioning from their expensive-aging contracts on offense and defense this year and next. They went all in a few years ago. It seems like a good transition year. I don't think they are going to be picking in the top 5 again anytime soon. But the #.02 picks this year and the teens next year could really do wonders for them. (so could a win-now trade back - as has been discussed in detail).

They have great offensive firepower at WR1, WR-Slot, and TE. 

My recent track record isn't great with predicting doom. I didn’t expect the Chiefs to contend in 2017. I was really shocked at their 5-0 start. 10-6 was overachieving IMO. So, Eli could have another solid year in him and make a final run in New York. I just don’t expect it. Not in that division. I think that they go 2-4 at best in the division next year. The good news is, they should have a favorable schedule beyond that.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2018 at 5:10 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Thielen had 1200 yards this year and the TE wasnt featured outside the RZ.

that might work for beckham, but he'll probably want more, and thats not how he should use engram?