Rolling Thunder

New York Giants 2018 Outlook

drivel

4 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

I stopped reading when they referred to Pugh as a significant loss for his “versatility” on the OL to help out with injuries ... he’s played in 19 games the last 2 years. I’m sure the rest is hilarious.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Winky said:

drivel

I love how they dismissed the Solder/Hernandez additions as nothing while talking about Pugh like they just let Larry Allen go. Couldn’t read much more.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Winky said:

drivel

5 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

I stopped reading when they referred to Pugh as a significant loss for his “versatility” on the OL to help out with injuries ... he’s played in 19 games the last 2 years. I’m sure the rest is hilarious.

Admit it, he makes good points.

ezgif-3-47c6295d59.original.gif

• Haha 2

At the beginning of the article, he said, " To note, we will not be talking about the positives of any of the Eagles' NFC East rivals, because, well, that's no fun. "

At the moment, I'm more than a little concerned with the Janoris Jenkins story. A dead body in your home and now your brother is wanted for questioning.

As per a TMZ story..

http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/27/janoris-jenkins-brother-person-of-interest-dead-body-case/

"Here’s the twist … according to jail records obtained by TMZ Sports, 34-year-old William Jenkins was arrested in upstate NY on June 26 at 1:46 AM ET … about 9 hours BEFORE the body was discovered at JJ’s home.

It appears William was arrested for an unrelated parole warrant issue — but now, investigators in the dead body case believe he might know something about the death of Roosevelt Rene.

Ritts tells TMZ Sports … there will be an extradition process to bring William from Ontario to Bergen County, NJ — which is about 300 miles away.

Important to note, William Jenkins is NOT a suspect — officials just want to know what he knows.

“I’m planning to study at least four hours a day, things like protections and stuff,” Webb said. “When I look back at this spring, it was probably the most practice reps I’ve had since coming to the Giants. I still made mistakes, but I didn’t make the same mistakes twice.

“Before I get back to training camp, I want to study my notes, study the things I did well and the things I messed up. I want to go back and watch every play from OTAs—there’s maybe a 1,000 or so—and get ready to build on all that in training camp.”

I'm beginning to adjust my outlook on Webb in terms of if Eli goes down this season Webb is the starting QB for the NYG's.  So if i look at him as a essentially a more mature and prepared 1st year player given this will be his 1st yr in a Shumur offense then he probably is a better prospect than any of the other rookie starting QB's particularly wit the weapons the giants have around him. He could be where Goff was last season.

I still have a suspicion that laluetta will eventually bypass Webb as the starter post Eli era but for now i think Webb could be that waiver wire surprise if Eli gets injured.

I can see 10-6 this season for sure.  Week 1 is a loss though.

Just now, RMJ_12 said:

I can see 10-6 this season for sure.  Week 1 is a loss though.

Its going to be very interesting ... If Fournette is “contained”, I’m cautiously optimistic Giants win 

Jags D is excellent, best in the league ... but they weren’t unbeatable and gave up 20+ points to pretty much any good offense they saw during the regular season - not to mention getting lit up in the playoffs

Assuming the rebuilt OL can keep Eli upright - I don’t think any defense can match up with Odell, Shepard, Engram, and Barkley. Looking forward to that quartet vs your star studded defense - should be a good game either way 

Posted (edited)

Snippet, not posting the entire article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patriciatraina/2018/06/25/how-new-york-giants-offense-may-be-different-under-shurmur/#20a71f101392

Based on observations from the spring practices, research conducted using advanced analytics to gather trends on how Shurmur operated when he was the Vikings offensive coordinator, and some input from Pro Football Focus senior analyst Steve Palazzolo, here is a list of some changes Giants fans are likely to see from the offense this fall.

Fewer 11-Personnel Packages

In 2017, the Giants ran 11-personnel on 54% of their plays, a reduction from the league-leading  92% they ran the year prior. (The reduction between 2016 and 2017 is due, in part, to the in-season dismissal of Ben McAdoo.)

However, despite the injury wipe-out at receiver and the promise shown by the tight end duo of Evan Engram and Rhett Ellison, the Giants only ran 12 personnel on 19% of their plays.

Shurmur’s Vikings last year ran 11 personnel in 57% of the plays and 12 personnel on 22%. If Shurmur sticks with that trend, the likely beneficiary is going to be Ellison.

Edited by dashoe

Beal the Steal! 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2784321-sam-beal-meet-the-best-supplemental-draft-prospect-since-josh-gordon?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Solder, Hernandez, Barkley, Carter, BJ Hill,  Beal ... it’s nice having a good front office again.

17 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Beal the Steal! 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2784321-sam-beal-meet-the-best-supplemental-draft-prospect-since-josh-gordon?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Solder, Hernandez, Barkley, Carter, BJ Hill,  Beal ... it’s nice having a good front office again.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thorku/status/1004375269057101825

Thread Post Count:

1,800 of those were from Cybernetic gushing over Saquon :P

Though, not gonna lie, I saw a documentary of him before and after the draft. A little more pumped about him now.

• Haha 1

Beal is actually not a bad pick, adds immediate depth, learns how to adapt to the NFL and learns the system over the season and has the potential to push for the starting role next season. So 3rd round pick for a potential first round  that will be in your system for a season learning on the job as he improves his skill set and you don't have to pay him 1st round money. not bad

10 hours ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

Great stuff thank you. Bettcher was right up there with my favorite acquisitions this offseason - it’s gonna be fun to see what he comes up with for guys like Ogletree, Vernon, Collins and Carter, while Tomlinson/Snacks/Hill eat up OLs (need to put the pads on, but Hill has been “better than advertised” and expected to start day 1) 

Really looking forward to how they employ Carter this year - an absolute freak of nature who could have an instant impact (I expect Kareem Martin to start at OLB and give the Giants a brutal front 7 to try and run on - with Carter coming in sub packages / lined up all over the field)

https://mobile.twitter.com/mathbomb/status/987299845747695623

Carter is literally one of the most athletic LBs ever. 

• Like 1

In 2017, the Giants targeted receivers with 50% of their targets.

In 2017, the Vikings (under Pat Shurmur) targeted receivers with 60% of their targets.

In 2017, the Giants targeted TE's with 26% of their targets.

In 2017, the Vikings (under Pat Shurmur) targeted TE's with 18% of their targets.

We could be seeing an additional 50-60 targets go the direction of the recievers.  Although I do see pass attempts decreasing as a whole.

I already saw some regression coming from Evan Engram with Beckham back but there's absolutely no reason to touch him at his ADP.

I also think this could mean Sterling Shepard is still valuable even with Odell Beckham back.  Especially since he's playing the Adam Thielen role in this offense.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RMJ_12 said:

In 2017, the Giants targeted receivers with 50% of their targets.

In 2017, the Vikings (under Pat Shurmur) targeted receivers with 60% of their targets.

In 2017, the Giants targeted TE's with 26% of their targets.

In 2017, the Vikings (under Pat Shurmur) targeted TE's with 18% of their targets.

We could be seeing an additional 50-60 targets go the direction of the recievers.  Although I do see pass attempts decreasing as a whole.

I already saw some regression coming from Evan Engram with Beckham back but there's absolutely no reason to touch him at his ADP.

I also think this could mean Sterling Shepard is still valuable even with Odell Beckham back.  Especially since he's playing the Adam Thielen role in this offense.

You’ll be seeing a lot more of Rhett Ellison this season - one of the best blocking TEs in the league and a decent receiver when called upon, but blocking is by far his best attribute. 

With Ellison playing more of the “traditional” TE, you’ll also be seeing a lot of “2TE” offense with Engram serving the Aaron Hernandez role back when NE featured their 2 TE offense (I’m not saying Ellison is anywhere near as good as Gronk, I’m simply referencing to demonstrate what kind of role people can expect from Engram). 

This 2TE offense has several benefits.

1. Ellison is an elite blocking TE, and the Giants will be trending back towards “Giants football” (physical, run first, kill you with play action). 

2. Engram’s athletic ability allows the Giants to present a 2TE / run heavy look and shift to a 3WR look without losing much speed / athletic ability

(in this look, Ellison stays at tight end with Odell / Engram split out wide and Shep in the slot, Barkley in the backfield, good luck.) 

Not only does Engram present a huge mismatch split out wide - if he’s lined up on a CB with Ellison in-line, it also presents a great opportunity for the Giants to still pound the ball as Engram, despite his blocking deficiencies, is still a huge mismatch for corners (in both the run/pass game).

In short: Expect Ellison to see more snaps, with the Giants getting back to a physical ground game after this “basketball on grass” Mcadoo fiasco, and Engram creating headaches for DC’s all season. 

Barkley, Odell, Engram, Shepard is the order I’d target them in fantasy. If the OL improves to even just mediocre, this offense is going to be a nightmare to matchup with. 

Still has to be proven on the field, but Odell/Saquon has the potential to be Brown/Bell-lite ... + Evan Engram + Sterling Shepard. Looking forward to Eli Manning shutting a few people up now that he’s actually surrounded with nfl caliber talent and what should be a drastically improved OL / run game 

* very much looking forward to all these toys vs the Jags D. Ramsey on Odell, Boye on Shepard, ... I don’t see an answer for Engram/Barkley in the pass game though. Just gotta keep Eli upright long enough haha

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

3 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

* very much looking forward to all these toys vs the Jags D. Ramsey on Odell, Boye on Shepard, ... I don’t see an answer for Engram/Barkley in the pass game though. Just gotta keep Eli upright long enough haha

Most overlooked matchup of Week 1.  Two potential playoff teams.   We get to see Beckham versus Ramsey.  Saquon Barkley debut.  Can't wait.

Dan Pizzuta of Big Blue View:

What was the biggest surprise move the team made - or didn’t make - this offseason?

Probably the all-in approach on a 37-year-old Eli Manning. A big focus of the offseason was improving the players around Manning. Nate Solder was made the highest paid offensive tackle in the league. The Giants drafted Saquon Barkley second overall and got guard Will Hernandez in the second round. Everything the front office and coaching staff has said since taking over has centered around the idea that Manning still has a few years left in the tank, even if that might be a questionable decision.

There’s not really a concrete backup plan in case it’s shown there’s not as much left in the tank as believed, especially against a first-half schedule that’s one of the toughest in the league. There’s last year’s third-round pick Davis Webb, who got no time last season even after the year was lost, and this year’s fourth-round pick Kyle Lauletta, but either would have to be a fairly decent outlier to be considered a true quarterback of the future.

On 7/18/2018 at 5:53 PM, NYR Fan 116894 said:

Good stuff ... I liked the part about his RB usage adjusting to talent 

Cliff notes : Barkley is going to be fed the ball 

I couldn’t care less about anyone’s actual review of Eli’s 2017 - he was ranked in the upper half of QBs by PFF at mid season and there is no QB that was going to look good under the conditions he played in last year. No pass protection, no run game, league leading in drops with 4th stringers starting out wide ...

the plan is for Webb to take over, they really do like him, and surround him with as much talent as possible (Engram, Shepard, Odell, + Barkley) while systematically improving the OL (Hernandez, Solder, Omameh) 

I love how some people actually think the Giants don’t have a plan. They loved Barkley as a prospect and the belief in Davis Webb is very real. I don’t care what round he went in (as a “project” not nfl ready - not because of lack of talent) 

Webb has the prototype size, the rocket arm, mobility, and a work ethic right up there with Eli’s. That’s literally all you want in a young QB - and by the time he gets his shot, he’ll have 3 years in the NFL. Is a lock to be the next guy? No, but neither were any of these QBs ... so, they took the best player in the draft, beefed up the OL, and will surround whichever QB they start with 1 of the best supporting casts in the league. 

Sounds like a good plan to me.

On 7/18/2018 at 5:53 PM, NYR Fan 116894 said:

Im sorry, I must have missed it. When did Pat Shurmer become Vince Lombardi? 

He's a stunad!!! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NYR Fan 116894 said:

Of course they have the talent to bounce back from  a 3-13 record.

The question is can they be a playoff contender in a loaded NFC?