Rolling Thunder

New York Giants 2018 Season Outlook

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

The Eagles are young and stacked on both sides of the ball. And as long as #11 is in the NFC the Giants have no shot. Not now anyway.

oh this has all the makings of another Reid era 4-5 year of dominance but with a better QB and a coach that doesn't shell up in big games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

oh this has all the makings of another Reid era 4-5 year of dominance but with a better QB and a coach that doesn't shell up in big games

 

Agreed. I wasn't  huge fan of Dougy P when they hired him. I feared he was Andy Reid 2.0. But he's definitely impressed me. He coaches to win. Andy would coach not to lose. And if Wentz stays healthy he'll be a perennial Pro-Bowler.

 

Shurmer to me is more like Andy. I didn't like him at all in Philly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

oh this has all the makings of another Reid era 4-5 year of dominance but with a better QB and a coach that doesn't shell up in big games

 

I think it's definitely a bit too early to say Wentz is better than McNabb. 

 

I'm not saying it's not possible one day, but your statement makes it sound like it's already there and I gotta disagree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

 

I wouldn't buy into these articles too much.

 

McAdoo got fired because he wanted to see what other QBs had on his roster in a lost season and chose to evaluate Geno Smith over Webb.

 

When you get all that backlash and you don't even put Webb out there, you obviously think pretty little of him.

 

Webb looks like a 7 on 7 beast to me.  He doesn't look like an above average starting NFL QB though.  I don't see much of an NFL future for him.

 

So you're saying the Giants should draft Rosen over Barkley? Granted the RB class is deep this year but Barkley is suppose to be a generational talent, a complete 3 down back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want Rosen. Concussions, potential shoulder trouble, and I've heard and read he's kind of a douchebag. I don't need that in my franchise quarterback. I'm hoping they trade down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What everyone needs to understand is that if the Giants stay at 2, they are taking a QB. There is no scenario where they take a different position at 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dedicating the offseason towards giving him an nfl caliber offensive line - something Eli tends to win playoff games with

 

odell, shepard, Engram and the d still has lots of talent - it’s gonna be a quick “rebuild”. Gettleman is an excellent GM 

 

 

So the Giants have only had an NFL caliber offensive line in two of Manning’s seasons with the team?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gryfter said:

 

So you're saying the Giants should draft Rosen over Barkley? Granted the RB class is deep this year but Barkley is suppose to be a generational talent, a complete 3 down back.

 

Go to page 1.

 

My thoughts on what the Giants should do are there.

 

"Generational" - lol.  That term is thrown out far too often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, petekrum said:

What everyone needs to understand is that if the Giants stay at 2, they are taking a QB. There is no scenario where they take a different position at 2.

 

Giants choose Barkley. There you have it. A scenario. Lol. They extend Beckham, rebuild the O-Line via draft and free agency and have a solid foundation and arguably top tier players at RB, WR and TE for the next half decade.

 

This scenario is an scenario that could easily take place in one year and with a defense and QB made to win now, why would a scenario like this be hard to believe.

 

 

jozea+scenarios.gif

 

 

 

Edited by nonstopfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giants should trade down and acquire extra picks from a QB needy team.  Shore up the OL with those picks and grab one of the many very talented backs in this draft as well.  Acquire a RB in FA that won't break the bank.  Someone like JMcK seems probable since he just worked with Shurmur.  They should NOT spend that #2 overall pick on any single position though if they are looking to make a run at the NFC in Eli's remaining window IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can agree with the above. I just hope that they don't go into this dead set on getting a QB at 2. My thinking is that JPP and Vernon are not going to be your DE's forever. The Giants will have to make a decision on making Collins one of the highest paid defenders in the league and Jack Rabbit isn't getting any younger. I don't want to have a QB for 10 years ala guys like Luck and Stafford with no supporting cast, waiting year upon year to rebuild the rest of the team when in a 2 year span, the Giants could reasonably have the pieces in place for a legit run. For as important a position that QB is, do you think Brees or Rodgers would've beat the Jags, Minny or Philly. I mean we saw it first hand. 

 

I'm only emphasizing Barkley because he could literally be one of the "top" guys at RB for a decade and can help you win now. Getting a RB later isn't a sure thing. For every Kamara there's five Paul Perkins. Quite honestly, I'm tired of journeyman type backs.

Edited by nonstopfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

 

Giants choose Barkley. There you have it. A scenario. Lol. They extend Beckham, rebuild the O-Line via draft and free agency and have a solid foundation and arguably top tier players at RB, WR and TE for the next half decade.

 

This scenario is an scenario that could easily take place in one year and with a defense and QB made to win now, why would a scenario like this be hard to believe.

 

 

jozea+scenarios.gif

 

 

 

 

The Giants will only take Barkley if they trade down. If they stay at 2, they take a QB. Period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

I can agree with the above. I just hope that they don't go into this dead set on getting a QB at 2. My thinking is that JPP and Vernon are not going to be your DE's forever. The Giants will have to make a decision on making Collins one of the highest paid defenders in the league and Jack Rabbit isn't getting any younger. I don't want to have a QB for 10 years ala guys like Luck and Stafford with no supporting cast, waiting year upon year to rebuild the rest of the team when in a 2 year span, the Giants could reasonably have the pieces in place for a legit run. For as important a position that QB is, do you think Brees or Rodgers would've beat the Jags, Minny or Philly. I mean we saw it first hand. 

 

I'm only emphasizing Barkley because he could literally be one of the "top" guys at RB for a decade and can help you win now. Getting a RB later isn't a sure thing. For every Kamara there's five Paul Perkins. Quite honestly, I'm tired of journeyman type backs.

 

Get a QB at 2, and a Sony Michel in the 2nd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, petekrum said:

dedicating the offseason towards giving him an nfl caliber offensive line - something Eli tends to win playoff games with

 

odell, shepard, Engram and the d still has lots of talent - it’s gonna be a quick “rebuild”. Gettleman is an excellent GM 

 

 

So the Giants have only had an NFL caliber offensive line in two of Manning’s seasons with the team?

 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-most-clutch-postseason-quarterback-of-all-time-is-eli-manning/

 

thanks for chiming in 

Edited by CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Panthers fan I have all the respect in the world for Gettleman.  I would not consider the Giants a lock to take a QB at #2.  He is one of the few guys that means it when he says best player available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, raltherr said:

As a Panthers fan I have all the respect in the world for Gettleman.  I would not consider the Giants a lock to take a QB at #2.  He is one of the few guys that means it when he says best player available.

 

It was sad watching him leave the Giants ... but it's great having him back. He knows how to build a team - that's for sure. I'm expecting the Giants to get back to power football and great defense. Shurmur will have more talent to work with on offense - and I like AZ's aggressive d coordinator 

 

and if they do go QB - I'm quite confident it's because he's going to be "the guy" for the next 10+ years. [i too think they go elsewhere and/or are very aggressive with trades, but we shall see]

 

the patriots/eagles superbowl sure has been the cherry on top of a nightmare season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, petekrum said:

 

Well he’s only won playoff games in two seasons so,...

 

SB MVPs in two seasons. 

 

Twice as many SBs as the Bears have won in 50 years. 

 

The Giants need to FINALLY upgrade the OL. Hopefully they will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, petekrum said:

 

So the Giants have only had an NFL caliber offensive line in two of Manning’s seasons with the team?

 

Yes. In 2007 and 2008. He won the SB (and SB MVP) in 2011 with the worst running game in the league, a defense that allowed 400+ points, and a bottom-5 OL graded by PFF. 

 

Reese never learned his lesson and refused to upgrade those weaknesses that Eli covered up for years. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s actually quite funny how underrated Eli really is.

 

he’s either been surrounded by historically bad OL, defenses, or both and in terrible offensive systems that don’t adjust to personnel (Gilbride and his 7 step drops with option routes behind lines that can’t block) - and yet he is a 2 time SB MVP

 

I’m so glad Gettleman is actually aware of the fact that Eli is still a good QB - just needs some help like every other QB. Give him a run game that’s even half decent and watch the play action / pass game in general become unstoppable with him at QB. 

 

I think Webb is the name to watch - he’s got the tools, maybe if they like him enough long term they go Barkley, OL, or add to the defense. (A trade down with a QB desperate team would be ideal)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Giants need to draft their future QB now. They may not draft this high again. Too bad if it hurts Eli's feelings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

It’s actually quite funny how underrated Eli really is.

 

he’s either been surrounded by historically bad OL, defenses, or both and in terrible offensive systems that don’t adjust to personnel (Gilbride and his 7 step drops with option routes behind lines that can’t block) - and yet he is a 2 time SB MVP

 

I’m so glad Gettleman is actually aware of the fact that Eli is still a good QB - just needs some help like every other QB. Give him a run game that’s even half decent and watch the play action / pass game in general become unstoppable with him at QB. 

 

I think Webb is the name to watch - he’s got the tools, maybe if they like him enough long term they go Barkley, OL, or add to the defense. (A trade down with a QB desperate team would be ideal)

 

 

 Eli gained my respect that year he beat the Niners inthe confernce championship and he had defenders in what was arguably the best defense in the NFC at the time  hanging all over him and he made killer bombs downfield. The guy played like a warrior

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, South Carolina said:

The Giants need to draft their future QB now. They may not draft this high again. Too bad if it hurts Eli's feelings.

 

Sweet unnecessary shot at Eli for no reason whatsoever 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dashoe said:

 

 

 Eli gained my respect that year he beat the Niners inthe confernce championship and he had defenders in what was arguably the best defense in the NFC at the time  hanging all over him and he made killer bombs downfield. The guy played like a warrior

 

Anyone that makes a lame Eli joke should be forced to watch that game in its entirety. 

 

Legendary performance. Glad someone else realized it too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

 

Anyone that makes a lame Eli joke should be forced to watch that game in its entirety. 

 

Legendary performance. Glad someone else realized it too.

 

While I respect your admiration for Eli, you gotta let it go. That

was many years ago. He's the 4th best QB in the NFC East now. Quite honestly........ he sucks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.