theSPANKER

Dez Bryant 2018 Outlook

"Dallas Cowboys executive Stephen Jones said in an interview Monday that star receiver Dez Bryant’s sideline demeanor “can be a distraction” to the team."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2018/01/22/dallas-cowboys-stephen-jones-dez-bryant-distraction-emotion-off-field/1056311001/

We all know Dez's productivity has really suffered the last two years.  He's had issues staying healthy to be on the field.  Will the Cowboys take a WR high in the draft?  Will he be in a Cowboy's uniform this coming season?  He's publicly stated he won't take a pay-cut. 

How do you view him as to what round you'd take take him if drafts were underway today?  

Is he a value pick or shy away with so many other good options likely available? 

Edited by theSPANKER

Been monumentally overrated for at least 3 years...I've been saying it. He's a TD-dependent WR who doesn't score TDs anymore and can't separate. Nothing more than a WR2 (if he gets 140+ targets again), so that's the apex of where he should be drafted in 2018. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He's a shy away for me, whether he ends up on another team or stays in Dallas. In the past 3 seasons, he really hasn't done much and with multi-game injuries in both 2015 (7 games missed) & 2016 (3 games missed), it just seems like he's an old 29. As far as specific red flags regarding his recent play, here's a few...

--Zero 100-yard games in 2017

--Only 4 100-yard games across 2015--2017 (38 games played)

--A lowly 50.0% catch percentage across 2015--2017 (150 catches on 300 targets)

He won't be drafted on any of my teams in 2018.

• Like 2

I don't know if he has lost as much as everybody says.  Considering he was never a guy that got alot of separation.  But in the situation he is in I will be avoiding big time.  Really wouldn't spend anything more then a sixth round dart throw at him.  Guy was painful to own this year.

• Like 1

Dak is not Romo and Dak is not not going to force feed Dez or sling the ball to him in a very tight window or trust hm on alot of 50/50 balls.

Romo and Dez had a special rapport and Dak and Dez do not.

His best years are behind him and there are more compelling wr's to own in better situations than Dez

I've made the mistake of drafting him in the past thinking "this would be his year". Big mistake. I wouldn't touch him in the deepest drafts. 

More for the film than commentary. Don't really care for the commentary.

Edited by NYR Fan 116894
  • Like 1

sounds like here with this bunch he wouldnt be a wr 2 on anybodys team? maybe not even a wr 3.? ok. if dez is still around in the 5th or 6th round in our league, id take him. he may not be a #1 wr anymore? but i think dashoe hit the nail on the head when he mentioned the difference with romo and dak. that could be more of the real nuts and bolts of the situation then just dez not being any good any more. i see it as the oline has to be healthy and elliott has to be on the field thinking about football. we need a #2 wr. not williams. not beasly, but a good #2 wr. like pearson had tony hill. irvin had harper.....dez needs washington? then i think it opens things up for the 3 things that failed us last year. dak-dez-witten. there ya go.

cant see dallas cutting him lose and eating 8 million in dead money. wont happen with jerry. he'll just chew his a$$ til he plays better because he's payin him to. cowboys will probably draft a wr with that 19th pick and i do believe that maybe the best medicine for dez's season. the cowboys could trade dez, but dont see that happen either. dak and dez need each other and they will get on the same page. when they do it will work. but dak aint romo with the slingin mentality. dak has a running game, and romo only had one with 1 season of murray? so there it is i think.

9 hours ago, not an nfl scout said:

cant see dallas cutting him lose and eating 8 million in dead money. wont happen with jerry. he'll just chew his a$$ til he plays better because he's payin him to. cowboys will probably draft a wr with that 19th pick and i do believe that maybe the best medicine for dez's season. the cowboys could trade dez, but dont see that happen either. dak and dez need each other and they will get on the same page. when they do it will work. but dak aint romo with the slingin mentality. dak has a running game, and romo only had one with 1 season of murray? so there it is i think.

I think your right. Although he should, Jerry's ego won't let him cut Dez. But I believe they have bigger fish to fry. They really need to focus on finding a new coach. I don't think they can win with Garrett. How many years has he been there  and what has he won?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, South Carolina said:

I think your right. Although he should, Jerry's ego won't let him cut Dez. But I believe they have bigger fish to fry. They really need to focus on finding a new coach. I don't think they can win with Garrett. How many years has he been there  and what has he won?

i see your point and part of me agrees, but we've seen that jerry will go after the big name coach before? we know that jerry will do everything it takes to win. but.....we also know that jerry likes to run that team. he likes having his son stephen making important decisions on personel. he loves mcclay and his personel knowledge. but jerry still pulls the trigger on the gun. he doesnt want a coach screwing with that. garrett fits that mold, and jerry seems happy at this point with garrett, and most importantly the staff with him. jerry doesnt see the need to change that when his CO's run the game, and he runs the office. why do you need someone to replace garrett at that level? you actually dont even need garrett? but he looks good on the sideline anyways?????

think about it you are jerry....you got 3 head coaches on that team. both of the CO's were heads at one time. they call the O and the D. garrett manages the game. jerry and "family" run the office. that works for HIM. why do you need another head coach? if you are jerry

1 hour ago, not an nfl scout said:

think about it you are jerry....you got 3 head coaches on that team. both of the CO's were heads at one time. they call the O and the D. garrett manages the game. jerry and "family" run the office. that works for HIM. why do you need another head coach? if you are jerry

Simply put,  because the head coach is abysmal at actually managing the game (see GB).  He's a liability.

The 2016 team was good enough to make it to the Super Bowl personnel wise.  The coaching staff blew it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Simply put,  because the head coach is abysmal at actually managing the game (see GB).  He's a liability.

The 2016 team was good enough to make it to the Super Bowl personnel wise.  The coaching staff blew it.

i think you are right. we seem to know what we think is best for the cowboys. as fans we painfully watch it transpire. but we dont own the team. we make no calls. so we still cheer and root and hope. i understand your pain as fans. we are not alone. look around the nfl. as i see it there are 31 other such "like" groups as us. only 1 is happy. and they may not be so happy next year. that is the animal that we are never able to handle. or control. we could go and buy the team? but then how many thousands and thousands of "fans" would be unhappy with us? hope 2018 is it? either way. either we win or maybe jerry makes a change? i think this is a do or die season with garrett....we wait.

I see Dallas giving Dez at least one more go.  Dez is still a force in the red zone and a fiery team leader.  With a full season of Elliott they should return to relevence in 2018.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I see Dallas giving Dez at least one more go.  Dez is still a force in the red zone and a fiery team leader.  With a full season of Elliott they should return to relevence in 2018.

Right,  but Elliott will score the tds...

Dez rushed back from his foot injury and has never been the sam. Then the team changed philosophy with Dak, and that combined with Dez' s decline make me almost completely uninterested.  8th or so, at the earliest, Wr3/4. 

• Confused 2

20 hours ago, Brady5 said:

Right,  but Elliott will score the tds...

Dez rushed back from his foot injury and has never been the sam. Then the team changed philosophy with Dak, and that combined with Dez' s decline make me almost completely uninterested.  8th or so, at the earliest, Wr3/4. 

then you are best served to stay uninterested.....stay away from him then. you wont see him get out of the 3rd round. despite what anyone on this thread writes to bash his value; and i'm not saying that any of you guys are completely wrong.....it's just that i don't think the majority of fantasy drafters are going to feel that dez has declined to a 3-4 wr or an 8th round pick. if in your draft he is there in the 8th round or so, you best grab him quick cause it will be the steal of your draft.

On 2/16/2018 at 7:53 PM, NYR Fan 116894 said:

More for the film than commentary. Don't really care for the commentary.

Man, Dak is horrible in that video.

5 hours ago, not an nfl scout said:

then you are best served to stay uninterested.....stay away from him then. you wont see him get out of the 3rd round. despite what anyone on this thread writes to bash his value; and i'm not saying that any of you guys are completely wrong.....it's just that i don't think the majority of fantasy drafters are going to feel that dez has declined to a 3-4 wr or an 8th round pick. if in your draft he is there in the 8th round or so, you best grab him quick cause it will be the steal of your draft.

I agree, he won't be on any of my teams. I just have a really had time seeing the upside with him at this point. 800 yds 6tds, that's waiver wire material, and the worst part is he's hard to cut, trade, or bench if you invest that much in him. 

Jerry...tie a 3rd rd pick to Dez and the Bears will take his salary off your hands.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, psygolf said:

Jerry...tie a 3rd rd pick to Dez and the Bears will take his salary off your hands.

Give the Bears a 3 and Dez, they

might consider it. Personally I wouldn't touch him if it meant taking on that salary. 

......since we are cherry picking i figured why not.........(not sure why it loops the plays, i wish it showed all his drops, there are more lol).  Give or take what source you see, Dez was right at the top for drops in 2017. You can also see another drop in the Dak poor throw video posted previously in this thread around the 1 min mark. Flat out drops a quick slant that hits him right in the hands.  How thats a bad Dak play, IDK. I laughed when i saw that in the video TBH.  If you want to continue to be paid elite money, you better start catching contested footballs......hell, just catch the uncontested footballs first :)

"PFF provided SportsDay with detailed stats on 2017 drops, ranking Bryant second in drops among receivers with at least 40 targets. His nine drops trail only Oakland's Amari Cooper's 10. Pro Football Focus determined 52 of Cooper's passes were catchable compared to 72 for Bryant. Bryant's drop rate: 12.5 percent."

"He(Dez) hasn't posted a 100-yard or multi-touchdown game all season. He ranks just 26th in the league in total reception yards, 22nd in receptions and tied for 20th in scores. But some of this stems from Prescott's passes. PFF deemed 40 of Prescott's 112 targets of Bryant uncatchable. And the receiver's batted down several other near-interceptions from the defensive backs guarding him."

Dak was plain terrible at times and he holds a lot of blame here. Esp balls being thrown outside the hash marks.  I was one of Dez' biggest promoters heading into the 2017 season and i am here to tell you i was dead wrong in thinking he would be top 10-12 WR. I watched him very closely all season. He's simply a shell of his former productive self and its not just Dak.  i do now feel really foolish thinking Dez and Dak would have been able to pull that off in 2017. They simply don't compliment one another game, at all.  

I also see an on field mental disconnect between the QB & WR here. I don't think its just the physical play between the two.   I  see two players that have zero idea of how to compliment one another's skill sets on the field and its led to mental break downs in both.  Its obvious Dak can't make the throws consistently that Dez needs on the outside, yet Linehan/Dak will force that until they are blue in the face. While Dak should hold plenty of responsibility for that, it also speaks to the fact that Dez is becoming somewhat of a one trick pony, yet wants to be paid as an elite WR who can make plays all over the field. ..Some of this blame, or maybe even a lot of it should also lay at the feet of OC Scott Linehan.  He was very uninspiring this season to put it nicely.

I also witnessed something troubling pretty early on in 2017.  DC's made an early adjustment to the Cowboys that featured double teaming Cole Beasley(slot) and removing the middle of the field for Dak.  Seems to me this was something DC's looked at most of the offseason regarding how to limit Dak, Beasley and Dez.  It also led to Beasley's awful unproductive season.  This tells me two things easily. A.) Dak struggles big time throwing outside the hash marks and the 50/50 balls(he's no Romo i know) B). Dez B simply isn't scaring any opposing CBs or DC's......that in itself tells me a LOT.  If you listen to the CB's that have guarded Dez of late, none have much good to say.  Dez can't separate, actually none of the Cowboys WR's can separate if I'm being honest. Couple that with a young QB who looked like a 4th rounder, its a recipe for a mess as well saw.  

its pay cut time for Dez or i'd ship him out/release him.  Same with Jason Witten, but i'd be willing to bet he restructures his contract, unlike Dez.   Dez is a big time Jerry guy, so its going to be interesting to see how this plays out.  No chance he ships him off plus a draft pick 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BlakeP42 said:

......since we are cherry picking i figured why not.........(not sure why it loops the plays, i wish it showed all his drops, there are more lol).  Give or take what source you see, Dez was right at the top for drops in 2017. You can also see another drop in the Dak poor throw video posted previously in this thread around the 1 min mark. Flat out drops a quick slant that hits him right in the hands.  How thats a bad Dak play, IDK. I laughed when i saw that in the video TBH.  If you want to continue to be paid elite money, you better start catching contested footballs......hell, just catch the uncontested footballs first :)

"PFF provided SportsDay with detailed stats on 2017 drops, ranking Bryant second in drops among receivers with at least 40 targets. His nine drops trail only Oakland's Amari Cooper's 10. Pro Football Focus determined 52 of Cooper's passes were catchable compared to 72 for Bryant. Bryant's drop rate: 12.5 percent."

"He(Dez) hasn't posted a 100-yard or multi-touchdown game all season. He ranks just 26th in the league in total reception yards, 22nd in receptions and tied for 20th in scores. But some of this stems from Prescott's passes. PFF deemed 40 of Prescott's 112 targets of Bryant uncatchable. And the receiver's batted down several other near-interceptions from the defensive backs guarding him."

Dak was plain terrible at times and he holds a lot of blame here. Esp balls being thrown outside the hash marks.  I was one of Dez' biggest promoters heading into the 2017 season and i am here to tell you i was dead wrong in thinking he would be top 10-12 WR. I watched him very closely all season. He's simply a shell of his former productive self and its not just Dak.  i do now feel really foolish thinking Dez and Dak would have been able to pull that off in 2017. They simply don't compliment one another game, at all.  

I also see an on field mental disconnect between the QB & WR here. I don't think its just the physical play between the two.   I  see two players that have zero idea of how to compliment one another's skill sets on the field and its led to mental break downs in both.  Its obvious Dak can't make the throws consistently that Dez needs on the outside, yet Linehan/Dak will force that until they are blue in the face. While Dak should hold plenty of responsibility for that, it also speaks to the fact that Dez is becoming somewhat of a one trick pony, yet wants to be paid as an elite WR who can make plays all over the field. ..Some of this blame, or maybe even a lot of it should also lay at the feet of OC Scott Linehan.  He was very uninspiring this season to put it nicely.

I also witnessed something troubling pretty early on in 2017.  DC's made an early adjustment to the Cowboys that featured double teaming Cole Beasley(slot) and removing the middle of the field for Dak.  Seems to me this was something DC's looked at most of the offseason regarding how to limit Dak, Beasley and Dez.  It also led to Beasley's awful unproductive season.  This tells me two things easily. A.) Dak struggles big time throwing outside the hash marks and the 50/50 balls(he's no Romo i know) B). Dez B simply isn't scaring any opposing CBs or DC's......that in itself tells me a LOT.  If you listen to the CB's that have guarded Dez of late, none have much good to say.  Dez can't separate, actually none of the Cowboys WR's can separate if I'm being honest. Couple that with a young QB who looked like a 4th rounder, its a recipe for a mess as well saw.  

Lots of truth in this post.

Yep on how defenses attacked the Cowboys passing game.

They knew that Dak couldn't make them pay outside so they left Dez one on one.   Dez at this point needs to be with a qb that can place the ball in positions that allow him to attack the ball. 

It's a bad fit with Dak who needs wrs that can get wide open (although that's an issue for a different thread).

Put dez with an accurate qb and he'd bounce back quite a bit.   Not to prime levels but better than last year. 

But he's not worth a 16.5m cap number anywhere, especially not in Dallas.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Lots of truth in this post.

Yep on how defenses attacked the Cowboys passing game.

They knew that Dak couldn't make them pay outside so they left Dez one on one.   Dez at this point needs to be with a qb that can place the ball in positions that allow him to attack the ball. 

It's a bad fit with Dak who needs wrs that can get wide open (although that's an issue for a different thread).

Put dez with an accurate qb and he'd bounce back quite a bit.   Not to prime levels but better than last year. 

But he's not worth a 16.5m cap number anywhere, especially not in Dallas.  

i really don't have an argument here, 96.  Year three for Dak is going to be unbelievably critical.  The 2017 season was a rocky one for just about all involved for Dallas, when you think over Zeke, Lee, the OL, Dak, Linehan, etc..........   prob wishful thinking but I'm hoping for a bit more stability in 2018 with all involved. (fingers crossed lol)

I agree, if you gave Dez a more experienced QB with better accuracy he could boost at least his TD numbers i would think.  He still can high point a ball well in the red zone if you can get the ball placement right.    That being said, i also think he's looking a bit slow and he gets very little separation. He's also not doing himself any favors by dropping critical passes and being near the league leader in that department.  As you said,  he's no where near the cap number, that i know if certain.

• Like 1

But I have not heard any talk of Dallas cutting Dez..