Fantasy Dork

Jordon "Jo" Adell - OF LAA

Couldn't find a thread on him, but he comes in ranked 55 by Keith Law.

Law specifically referenced plus speed and 80-grade raw power. He obviously has a ways to go, but with this kind of upside, I'm surprised no one has mentioned him here (possibly because they are trying to keep him a secret? If so, sorry).

I also read one article that was written pre-draft comparing him to Melvin Upton (when he was good). What do people think?

Edited by JFS179
Removed quoted paid content
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been doing some research on Adell and he has one of the best bats in the draft class. There are some concerns about his contact but I just read an article that said he made an adjustment to his swing. It was only half a season but he hit well in 2017.

After a tough week at the Tournament of Stars, Adell made adjustments to his swing and showed more contact ability at the Metropolitan Baseball Classic and the Under Armour All-America Game. He had closed off his open stance and reduced the load of his back elbow, improving his direction to the ball, helping his head stay on plane and allowing his bat to stay through the zone longer. The changes yielded a much more functional swing. He concluded the showcase circuit with a strong performance at the WWBA World Championships, playing for the Evoshield Canes travel team. After a dedicated winter, Adell has done everything possible to reduce concerns about the swing-and-miss to his game. After swatting three home runs in a game on May 3, Adell had 21 on the season with only seven strikeouts. If his improvements hold up against next-level pitching after the draft, he could prove to be a true five-tool talent. Adell is also a significant prospect as a righthanded pitcher. His athletic body plays well on the mound and when he’s in prime pitching condition he’s capable of pitching at 92-94 and touching 95 with life on his fastball. His 12-to-6 breaking ball has powerful bite and low- to mid-80s velocity. Adell is committed to Louisville but is expected to have a team meet his bonus demands

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Everything I've read about this guy points towards him boosting up the prospects list like crazy next year.  He just hasn't had the chance to prove himself to scouts yet, but barring a breakdown this year, I could see him being top 10 next year.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BackyardBaseball said:

Everything I've read about this guy points towards him boosting up the prospects list like crazy next year.  He just hasn't had the chance to prove himself to scouts yet, but barring a breakdown this year, I could see him being top 10 next year.

Same. There was a point where I preferred Jahmai over him... but Adell's tools are just sooo loud.   Buxton kinda voodoo.

and like so many of these freak athletes, it's all gonna come down to that hit tool, and the swing and miss game. 

I'd be super reluctant to flip this guy in dynasty. I agree that he is going to shoot up lists. He certainly has that top-10 potential. 

• Like 1

Not to be outdone, his team mate and sleeper/breakout prospect Brandon Marsh also hit a grand slam and finished with 7 RBI

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Blood Brother said:

Not to be outdone, his team mate and sleeper/breakout prospect Brandon Marsh also hit a grand slam and finished with 7 RBI

I like the tools of both. 

When I was researching Adell PRE-2017 draft my thought was if everything breaks right he's Matt Kemp.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, 96mnc said:

I like the tools of both. 

When I was researching Adell PRE-2017 draft my thought was if everything breaks right he's Matt Kemp.

not a bad comp. I think young Kemp had superior hand-eye-coordination and baseball skills, but Adell has even more raw athleticism.  

My cynical side worries that Adell is Drew Stubbs. But... if he reaches even 85-90% of his ceiling, he's a legitimate fantasy superstar. Like, 20-20 would be the bare minimum. Don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but I'm jusy sayin, the tools are downright freaky. 

Edited by RotoBird
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RotoBird said:

not a bad comp. I think young Kemp had superior hand-eye-coordination and baseball skills, but Adell has even more raw athleticism.  

My cynical side worries that Adell is Drew Stubbs. But... if he reaches even 85-90% of his ceiling, he's a legitimate fantasy superstar. Like, 20-20 would be the bare minimum. Don't want to get ahead of ourselves, but I'm jusy sayin, the tools are downright freaky. 

That's very fair.   There's a huge range of outcomes possible here.  

With these young toolboxes that I'm hoping breakouts I like to see somewhere in there scouting report that they are coachable OR have already shown the ability to make adjustments to their swing.   Adell has shown that already.

• Like 1

Everything I read and see with this kid tells me he's going to be a monster. Reminds me of a bigger Buxton with more power and less speed.

First day back from the DL and went 4-5 with 2 runs. It was his second 4 hit game of the season when he went 4-5 on April 20th with a HR, 2B, 4R, and 8RBIs 🤩

Can't wait to see him progress through the minors. 

Finished 4-5 with 2 HR and 5 RBI. Avg up to .325 

This is his third 4 hit game on the year and I am officially in love. 

• Like 2

Buxton with less speed and more hit tool. Hype train engaged. 

• Like 1

He has 24 Ks in 85 ABs this season but the thing I like to see is  over his last 10 games he only has 6 Ks in 42 ABs. 

If he can keep the Ks down I think he will be a monster. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another HR tonight. Brandon Marsh just got promoted to High-A today and I think Adell will be joining him very soon. Only reason he probably hasn't been moved up is because he missed some time with his thumb injury

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RotoBird said:

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=2065415583&sid=milb

woah! the way the ball jumps off his bat... that was a superstar swing right there. 

what kind of upside are we looking at here? might be so high on the mountain, it's hard to see 

I see Mookie Betts kinda upside if he (greatly) improves his plate discipline. Wil Myers if he doesn't. 

1 minute ago, heyeaglefn said:

ETA of 2021 still accurate or you think sooner?

You know who else was given an ETA of 2021 coming into the season?

Juan Soto.

5 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

You know who else was given an ETA of 2021 coming into the season?

Juan Soto.

I saw 2020 for him but I get what you mean.