dashoe

David Johnson 2018 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2018 season will be locked on 2019-01-31. Please finish any 2018 discussions here, and take any 2019 outlook discussions to the 2019 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, nbay23 said:

I can't see Glennon being any worse than Rosen.  If anything, Glennon will be a boost for DJ.  Bring on Glennon!

 

Delisted being “third string” I believe they would go with Sam Bradford were Rosen to miss any time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RafiBomb said:

Leftwich is the new OC. He was Arian's hire which is huge. Also it was reported that Leftwich called the first two touchdown plays against the bears. The second of which being this DJ touchdown reception...

 

 

 

If this is true it seems there is hope DJ gets more looks in the passing game.  Severe talent waste so far.  Cardinals have not followed through on statement they were going to use DJ in passing game more.  This game they did but then went back to old habits.  Offense needs balance, run game feeds pass and vice versa.  Rosen needs a good run game to relieve D pressure.  

 

Some other notes on Leftwich...he was backup QB with Steelers with Arians as OC for 3 years.  Then Arians hired him in AZ 2 years ago.  So he has 5 years experience with Arians' playbook.  Let's hope he has similar philosophy on DJ.  

 

Can't get any worse, can it?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is great news for DJ.  It literally can't get any worse.  Only up from here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firings like this when the coach is so clearly a moron holding back the players is a huge moral boost.  Never underestimate the effect a moral boost can have on performance in the NFL.  This team was playing with absolutely no fire or heart because they had no faith in their leadership to set them up for success.

 

Granted McCoy was only half the problem (Wilks with his Nickle D that he NEVER mixes up despite getting plowed week after week is still in place) this firing should be good for the locker room moral.

 

DJ is not going to be a beast on the ground behind that O-Line this year but at the very LEAST he should be catching 5-6 passes a game from here on out and that will bode very well for his floor, therefore if you can still buy low on DJ I think this is a good time to do it as he will be a more consistent player moving forward.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Counting on Byron Leftwich and Mike Glennon to salvage my fantasy team. 

 

I did not come out of this year’s draft with that on my mind. Yikes!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nbay23 said:

I can't see Glennon being any worse than Rosen.  If anything, Glennon will be a boost for DJ.  Bring on Glennon!

 

Glennon is a saavy vet, he’ll understand that checking the ball down is the easiest way to move the ball when you don’t have a top tier WR or a good O-line.  

 

He won’t play like a rookie with something to prove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Accio55 said:

Sad thing is. No matter what happens nobody will be benching DJ because you just cant lol. 

I can lol. And will lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RafiBomb said:

 

Road game?  Is he going to try his hand at NASCAR?  Could work out better than football!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, RafiBomb said:

 

Dumb McCoy.  It's not that hard to look at what made DJ a success, and do the same thing.  Glad he's fired.  Good thing Wilks recognizes this and made a change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wouldn't shock me if McCoy had no idea who DJ was at all....McCoy is one of those "I don't watch TV, read the news, use the internet, or follow anything happening in the NFL besides my own game plan" type of guys.  He probably just waltzed into the practice facility on day one, saw DJ, and thought "HMM...who's this guy, he's pretty big....he's gonna be GREAT grinding it out up the middle!"

RIP to the high school team McCoy gets hired to coach next...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Asked if Leftwich should be considered an "interim" coordinator, Wilks said, "Right now, it's hard to say anybody is going to be permanent."

Leftwich is a holdover from the staff of coach Bruce Arians, who retired after last season and was known for his dynamic offense.

"You definitely want to be able to try to get David Johnson going in the run game as well as the pass game," Wilks said. "With Byron being here before and being part of that and understanding some of the success he's had in the past, hopefully we can tap back into some of the things David was doing in the past.""

 

THE TIDE IS TURNING!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

"Asked if Leftwich should be considered an "interim" coordinator, Wilks said, "Right now, it's hard to say anybody is going to be permanent."

Leftwich is a holdover from the staff of coach Bruce Arians, who retired after last season and was known for his dynamic offense.

"You definitely want to be able to try to get David Johnson going in the run game as well as the pass game," Wilks said. "With Byron being here before and being part of that and understanding some of the success he's had in the past, hopefully we can tap back into some of the things David was doing in the past.""

 

THE TIDE IS TURNING!

Damn, he sounds defeated. And, seeing him emotionless on the side line last night, it's like dude get a little fired up! A team feeds off energy man, get yourself (and your team) pumped up!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance DJ gets force fed the ball this week against a weak SF team as a “let’s just see how this works” by Leftwich? Talking 20 carries (including outside the tackles), 15 targets/8-10 catches type of game?

 

I guess there’s always a chance...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ff062018 said:

Any chance DJ gets force fed the ball this week against a weak SF team as a “let’s just see how this works” by Leftwich? Talking 20 carries (including outside the tackles), 15 targets/8-10 catches type of game?

 

I guess there’s always a chance...

 

I sure hope so!

 

If not, I may have to cut my losses and sell low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stoked for this week. Perfect opponent too. Should be DJs most efficient and hopefully highest scoring game yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully they finally use DJ like the Giants use Barkley. This would help the rookie QB and the newly assigned OC

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really hurts seeing Barkley in exactly the same situation with a very similar level of talent being peppered with targets and being used as a safety valve while DJ is repeatedly hammered into a wall of eager defenders while getting 1-4 targets a game...

 

If DJ can just get the 7-10 targets a game Barkley gets in addition to a bit more diversity with his carries he should be back to being an RB1.

 

Interested to see how this plays out.  Not that it matters at this point for my horrific team but maybe some of you still have a shot if he can turn this around...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cheezor42 said:

It really hurts seeing Barkley in exactly the same situation with a very similar level of talent being peppered with targets and being used as a safety valve while DJ is repeatedly hammered into a wall of eager defenders while getting 1-4 targets a game...

 

If DJ can just get the 7-10 targets a game Barkley gets in addition to a bit more diversity with his carries he should be back to being an RB1.

 

Interested to see how this plays out.  Not that it matters at this point for my horrific team but maybe some of you still have a shot if he can turn this around...

He's already a RB1...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Willing to bet Leftwich had many in depth conversations with Arians the past few days.

Hope so anyway...

 

...really is now or never.

Thursday Night pissed me off something fierce. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.