afl5013

Le'Veon Bell 2018 Outlook

Nope, no third round compensatory pick if they lose Bell to free agency.  The Steelers lost one free agent and signed two, so if they lose Bell it evens out.  

14 hours ago, J Boogie said:

Its not even a question imo - if this is business as usual, clearly Bell is going to dominate the carries over Conner. If this is  going to be some emotional grudge match, which news flash, it probably wont be (he'd get traded if anything) - Bell is going to firmly entrench himself as the workhorse. Conner is a decent young talent but don't be fooled - that Falcons team is trash without its two starting safeties and Dion Jones running around like a machine. 

I can't see the Steelers letting go of Bell this season - it honestly doesnt make much sense; they're going to get a third round compensatory pick if they hold on to him anyway, so might as well make Bell earn that money and ride him to the ground as they contend for the playoffs. 

Bell is an absolute monster, do not forget that. A generational type of talent, Conner isn't close to his league yet.

The week Bell gets back and puts in a full practice week he is in the lineup and expect to see an even split in carries over 2-3 games and then he will be the primary rb again. Conner is doing a decent job filling in but with Bell back he will not be the best rb on the field with bell there. I think optimistically you can expect a 70/30 split in touches between the 2 rb's which should keep conner in flex contention. 

• Haha 2

This week, huh?  Sure.  RIIGHT.

So I did some further research and confirmed that a player can be traded once he has signed his franchise tender, with or without his consent.  Jared Allen was tagged by KC then traded to the Vikings, and Matt Cassell was tagged by New England and traded to KC.  Both of those were done prior to the July deadline for negotiating long term deals, and each player did in fact sign a long term deal.

Bell has stated publicly that he will not agree to a trade once he signs his tender.  That proves that he does not understand how the NFL rules work.  Which tells us a lot about Bell and a lot about his pathetic excuse for an agent.

Previously tagged and traded players have functionally needed to agree to such trades (Landry, too) because their new teams wanted to trade for them AND sign them to a long term deal.  But if the Steelers just want to offload Bell as a one-year rental, they are completely free to do that if they can find a taker with an injured RB and some cap room...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ben Roethlisberger said James Conner "should not go on the shelf by any means" if/when Le'Veon Bell ends his holdout.

"I think Le’Veon’s one of the best in the business, I think we all understand that and can agree on that," Roethlisberger said. "But when Le’Veon comes back, in no way, shape or form should James just say, ‘OK, it’s all yours. I’m gonna sit back and when you need me, use me.’ And I will push for James to get as much run as we can because we’ve seen some great things from him in all phases of football. He’s picking up blitzes, he’s catching the ball, he’s running hard and making plays and playing with a passion, so we need to keep using that." If Ben wants it, he usually gets it. Conner seems certain to retain a prominent role when Bell returns, which is expected to be for Week 8.

Oct 10 - 10:44 AM
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, iretirefromfantasy said:

Ben Roethlisberger said James Conner "should not go on the shelf by any means" if/when Le'Veon Bell ends his holdout.

"I think Le’Veon’s one of the best in the business, I think we all understand that and can agree on that," Roethlisberger said. "But when Le’Veon comes back, in no way, shape or form should James just say, ‘OK, it’s all yours. I’m gonna sit back and when you need me, use me.’ And I will push for James to get as much run as we can because we’ve seen some great things from him in all phases of football. He’s picking up blitzes, he’s catching the ball, he’s running hard and making plays and playing with a passion, so we need to keep using that." If Ben wants it, he usually gets it. Conner seems certain to retain a prominent role when Bell returns, which is expected to be for Week 8.

Oct 10 - 10:44 AM

70/30 split most games and some games 60/40 when bell takes over gain. . book it. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dashoe said:

70/30 split most games and some games 60/40 when bell takes over gain. . book it. 

In Conner or Bell’s favor?

Bold Prediction 

Le’veon Bell Traded to the Buffalo Bills for a 2nd Round pick and LeSean McCoy.

With right around $50 million in dead contracts coming off the books next season, according to Spotrac, and at least $70 million in cap space for 2019, those 10 draft choices will help Beane to continue his overhaul of the Bills’ roster.

1 minute ago, Silkk1211 said:

In Conner or Bell’s favor?

Bell/Conner

1 minute ago, JrsKars said:

Bold Prediction 

Le’veon Bell Traded to the Buffalo Bills for a 2nd Round pick and LeSean McCoy.

With right around $50 million in dead contracts coming off the books next season, according to Spotrac, and at least $70 million in cap space for 2019, those 10 draft choices will help Beane to continue his overhaul of the Bills’ roster.

Question is does bell want to play for the big money even if he goes to a rebuild situation and will have MORE wear and tear on his body?

Just now, dashoe said:

Question is does bell want to play for the big money even if he goes to a rebuild situation and will have MORE wear and tear on his body?

I think it’s clear he cares more about the $ than winning or let alone playing football games.

• Like 1

Now just imagine if Bell tears his ACL or worse in his few games back without a contract. Too many factors to add in and really.. no one knows what will happen until that time actually happens. Makes for heated discussions though.... 124 pages worth LOL

4 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

This week, huh?  Sure.  RIIGHT.

So I did some further research and confirmed that a player can be traded once he has signed his franchise tender, with or without his consent.  Jared Allen was tagged by KC then traded to the Vikings, and Matt Cassell was tagged by New England and traded to KC.  Both of those were done prior to the July deadline for negotiating long term deals, and each player did in fact sign a long term deal.

Bell has stated publicly that he will not agree to a trade once he signs his tender.  That proves that he does not understand how the NFL rules work.  Which tells us a lot about Bell and a lot about his pathetic excuse for an agent.

Previously tagged and traded players have functionally needed to agree to such trades (Landry, too) because their new teams wanted to trade for them AND sign them to a long term deal.  But if the Steelers just want to offload Bell as a one-year rental, they are completely free to do that if they can find a taker with an injured RB and some cap room...

Agreed. Once he signs his tender, he has no rights. He can be traded without his consent. 

I expect what Bell was trying to suggest is that he won't sign his tender if he thinks he'll be traded somewhere he doesn't want to go.

Which is why I somewhat agree that if he signs before the trade deadline, there is a good chance he's being traded somewhere he approves of. Because I don't think he trusts Pittsburgh to honor their word even if they tell him he's not going to be traded.

I would think it's more likely that he signs immediately after the trade deadline if he's worried about that. That would still give him potentially half a season as it's during week 9, but after Pitts' 8th game. 

Remember that at this point nobody [i.e. Bell or publicly for the Steelers] has corroborated the "week 7 return". That was from a source. It wasn't even Fowler. It was linked in the Fowler piece but the article it linked to just mentioned a "source". 

4 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

Agreed. Once he signs his tender, he has no rights. He can be traded without his consent. 

I expect what Bell was trying to suggest is that he won't sign his tender if he thinks he'll be traded somewhere he doesn't want to go.

Which is why I somewhat agree that if he signs before the trade deadline, there is a good chance he's being traded somewhere he approves of. Because I don't think he trusts Pittsburgh to honor their word even if they tell him he's not going to be traded.

I would think it's more likely that he signs immediately after the trade deadline if he's worried about that. That would still give him potentially half a season as it's during week 9, but after Pitts' 8th game. 

Remember that at this point nobody [i.e. Bell or publicly for the Steelers] has corroborated the "week 7 return". That was from a source. It wasn't even Fowler. It was linked in the Fowler piece but the article it linked to just mentioned a "source". 

I think Bell and his team very well know what hey are doing sign before OCt 30 and you are agreeing to a trade that has already been agreed to in priciple by all parties inolved or you know there is no trade to be had because no team is going to trade for you without reassurances you will sign an offseason extension with them

2 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I think Bell and his team very well know what hey are doing sign before OCt 30 and you are agreeing to a trade that has already been agreed to in priciple by all parties inolved or you know there is no trade to be had because no team is going to trade for you without reassurances you will sign an offseason extension with them

But that's the thing. It's against the league rules to agree to this extension at this time. So, at best it's a verbal understanding of commitment. This understanding won't be binding and either party can renege, so I don't think any team would be trading for Bell thinking they have him locked into a future contract.

19 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Nope, no third round compensatory pick if they lose Bell to free agency.  The Steelers lost one free agent and signed two, so if they lose Bell it evens out.  

Formula isn't that simple.

Edited by psygolf

I’m aware of the reports stating otherwise, but I still think the Eagles are going to try to land Bell. They’re pretty much the only team that makes sense. They have a loaded and healthy (other than RB) roster and absolutely have the talent to win another SB this year. Why not take a rental on one of the best RBs in the league to try and win now? Only thing I’m unclear on is whether it is realistic considering their cap situation. I saw that they were restructuring contracts to clear cap space. Can anyone elaborate if a trade to the Eagles is feasible from a cap perspective? 

9 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Formula isn't that simple.

I agree, it isn't that simple.  But in Pittsburgh's case for this year, that would be the end result.  If they lose Bell in free agency, they will not get a 3rd round compensatory pick.  So the Steelers still come out ahead if they deal Bell for a 7th rounder if he signs before the trade deadline.

7 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

I’m aware of the reports stating otherwise, but I still think the Eagles are going to try to land Bell. They’re pretty much the only team that makes sense. They have a loaded and healthy (other than RB) roster and absolutely have the talent to win another SB this year. Why not take a rental on one of the best RBs in the league to try and win now? Only thing I’m unclear on is whether it is realistic considering their cap situation. I saw that they were restructuring contracts to clear cap space. Can anyone elaborate if a trade to the Eagles is feasible from a cap perspective? 

I think if they wait a couple more weeks, they will have enough cap room to accomodate Bell's salary for this season.

14 minutes ago, FinsUp24 said:

T land Bell they  have to agree to 850k week= give up draft picks+ restructure existing contracts  to make it work financially, that's alot of work and resources for bell when it's prob easier to trade for shady or take a flyer on ameer abdullah or  give dorsey a sweet draft pick deal for hyde. .  doesnt chris ivory have a pint of gas left in his tank in a committe  behind the eagle o-line?

Bell seems like an all in throw the pink slip into the pot bet for the Eagles

4 hours ago, Silkk1211 said:

I think it’s clear he cares more about the $ than winning or let alone playing football games.

i'd say it is equal, but the money part has been neglected so this is a correction for him to get it back to equal

21 minutes ago, dashoe said:

T land Bell they  have to agree to 850k week= give up draft picks+ restructure existing contracts  to make it work financially, that's alot of work and resources for bell when it's prob easier to trade for shady or take a flyer on ameer abdullah or  give dorsey a sweet draft pick deal for hyde. .  doesnt chris ivory have a pint of gas left in his tank in a committe  behind the eagle o-line?

Bell seems like an all in throw the pink slip into the pot bet for the Eagles

Also  Coleman can be a trade candidate he is a FA next season, no way the Falcons sign him to a big $$$ deal with freeman locked in

Le'Veon is not going to get traded, because despite the rumors nobody is going to pay 850K/week for a guy who has said openly that he doesn't want a big workload until he gets a long term contract. He's going to go back to the Steelers, split time with Conner, make a huge spectacle of himself and face an open market next year to a much colder reception than he though he'd have. 

12 minutes ago, P@ckersFan said:

Le'Veon is not going to get traded, because despite the rumors nobody is going to pay 850K/week for a guy who has said openly that he doesn't want a big workload until he gets a long term contract. He's going to go back to the Steelers, split time with Conner, make a huge spectacle of himself and face an open market next year to a much colder reception than he though he'd have. 

This seems likely 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bwarbiany said:

Fowler spoke with Bell