FlashGordon401

Melvin Gordon 2018 Outlook

Finished the 2017 season with strong showings in the fantasy playoffs.

Final 2017 Stats:

284/1105/8

58/476/4 on 83 targets

Another year with poor YPA (3.9), but that was not a factor considering the immense volume he received. After TG/Bell/Zeke/DJ, where would you guys rank him?

13 minutes ago, FlashGordon401 said:

Another year with poor YPA (3.9), but that was not a factor considering the immense volume he received. After TG/Bell/Zeke/DJ, where would you guys rank him?

His workload puts him in that Tier 3 range after guys like Fournette and Hunt who would be in that tier right below Gurley, Bell, Zeke and Johnson.

24 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

His workload puts him in that Tier 3 range after guys like Fournette and Hunt who would be in that tier right below Gurley, Bell, Zeke and Johnson.

I'll take MG over Hunt and his questionable usage all day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He put up RB1 numbers all year behind an anemic line, ONCE again.  What were the Chargers, like the 26th best O-Line?  MG3 is a stud, with a great QB in a short passing offense, and will be a top 10 pick again.

Gordon is young, has receiving chops, and is staying in a stable situation in terms of coaching and personnel.   In PPR, he's absolutely fine to be a late first rounder.   

Any concern of Ekeler?   Seems to me he played well enough to carve out a role, but not enough to be a real threat.   LAC could be one of the few clear RB depth charts we see next year.  Ek is lining up to be an actual sure handcuff.

As of now a case can be made for him from 5th to 10th overall RB.  My only concern is how much SD used Eckler in the middle of the season(he was stealing alot of passing down work and some redzone) until he got injured.

30 minutes ago, youngrice said:

As of now a case can be made for him from 5th to 10th overall RB.  My only concern is how much SD used Eckler in the middle of the season(he was stealing alot of passing down work and some redzone) until he got injured.

I'm not worried about Ekeler. But I would be concerned if the Bolts draft a rb which I hope they do, that isn't a cop back like Ekeler, since this is Gordon's fourth year in his contract. 

1 hour ago, boltup15 said:

I'm not worried about Ekeler. But I would be concerned if the Bolts draft a rb which I hope they do, that isn't a cop back like Ekeler, since this is Gordon's fourth year in his contract. 

It's a good point, but it would it would be a situation requiring more scrutiny as it would actually be nice to have a legitimate handcuff for Melvin.

3 hours ago, boltup15 said:

I agree.  My point really was they seemed very willing to use another RB a good amount and Gordons value is his heavy usage.

With Ekeler and now Jackson there, I have a strong sense that Gordon is going to drop off this season. Volume is the only thing that has put him into the "elite" Conversation. 

If some of his usage goes to the other two guys, it might not go well for Gordon owners. We've also seen in the past that the Chargers are willing to use COP backs, like Woodhead, in the red zone. If Ekeler or Jackson becomes fantasy relevant, it could easily be a much different amount of production from MG this year. 

Edited by ajs723

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

With Ekeler and now Jackson there, I have a strong sense that Gordon is going to drop off this season. Volume is the only thing that has put him into the "elite" Conversation. 

If some of his usage goes to the other two guys, it might not go well for Gordon owners. We've also seen in the past that the Chargers are willing to use COP backs, like Woodhead, in the red zone. If Ekeler or Jackson becomes fantasy relevant, it could easily be a much different amount of production from MG this year. 

How does the addition of a 7th round rookie and the return of Ekeler give us a "sense" of change?  There is so much continuity for the LAC that "same old, same old" is far more probable than major change.

If you believe that Gordon's volume is simply unsustainable, that's one thing.  But that's a slightly different conversation.

Personally, I believe that if the offense (especially the OL) is improved, the increased overall production will more than make up for a slight reduction, if any, in Gordon's usage.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

How does the addition of a 7th round rookie and the return of Ekeler give us a "sense" of change?  There is so much continuity for the LAC that "same old, same old" is far more probable than major change.

If you believe that Gordon's volume is simply unsustainable, that's one thing.  But that's a slightly different conversation.

Personally, I believe that if the offense (especially the OL) is improved, the increased overall production will more than make up for a slight reduction, if any, in Gordon's usage.

You could very well be right, but I think the door is wide open for another back to step up. Ekeler did well with his opportunities last season and, 7th rounder or not, Jackson is a good running back. 

If one of these guys steps up in camp, there's a point where the coaching staff may try something new. When same old, same old is a sub 4.0 ypc, a change might be appealing. 

Edited by ajs723
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I actually think you're both right. 

I expect an improved oline to make mg3 more efficient on the ground.

But I also expect Jackson (who was tremendous value and shouldn't have fallen to the 7th) and Ekeler to cut into mg3 3rd down work. 

Net effect- no change in standard leagues, decrease in ppr leagues.

As if he wasn't already a solid receiver, I love it.  Remember...Anthony Lynn is the coach, he will still want to run the ball a lot and is a RB whisperer.

Finally a respectable Oline for MG this year. If they stay healthy, there are no excuses for another poor efficiency year. I told myself I’d never have this guy on another one of my teams because I just don’t believe in his talent too much after watching most of his games last year. He is a solid receiver, but his inability to make tacklers miss in the open field is pretty frustrating to watch at times. It’s just hard to resist him in such a high octane offense with a revamped Oline though. Really torn on this guy. 

Edited by FinsUp24
  • Like 1

No one likes eye tests more than me, and I can get obsessed with YPC with the best of them, but when a CS and, more importantly, a veteran QB who runs the show, loves a guy, that goes a long way for me.  What you and I think doesn't matter.  As long as the LAC offense ends up being as potent as it looks likely to be, Gordon will be a great RB to own.  For anyone picking in the last half of the first round in a PPR 12 teamer, Gordon is one of the easiest decisions one can make IMHO.

Edited by Rolling Thunder

3 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

No one likes eye tests more than me, and I can get obsessed with YPC with the best of them, but when a CS and, more importantly, a veteran QB who runs the show, loves a guy, that goes a long way for me.  What you and I think doesn't matter.  As long as the LAC offense ends up being as potent as it looks likely to be, Gordon will be a great RB to own.  For anyone picking in the last half of the first round in a PPR 12 teamer, Gordon is one of the easiest decisions one can make IMHO.

Agreed I expect a great season from him, I have even seen him go as late as mid second in some mocks.

4 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Where would you rank him with Fournette, Hunt, and possibly Cook? 

I've touted Gordon since he was drafted & will continue to do that this year.  Clear 3-down RB1 with potentially better receiving numbers (70 receptions?), with an improved O-line adding Pouncey at C & a healthy Lamp at G. Combine that with the threat of Rivers chucking it deep & a strong defense, you have another 1600 total yard season with double-digit TD's.  If he had quicker feet to avoid or break tackles, he'd be closer to 2000 yards

I've owned him for a couple years in a keeper league and almost traded him twice... just because I didn't believe.  But I like this latest hype and can get behind it.

This is also a case where I might be looking to grab the handcuff... normally I'm not a handcuff kind of a guy but I think this offense has potential this year.

37 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

I've owned him for a couple years in a keeper league and almost traded him twice... just because I didn't believe.  But I like this latest hype and can get behind it.

This is also a case where I might be looking to grab the handcuff... normally I'm not a handcuff kind of a guy but I think this offense has potential this year.

Is Ekeler the clear cuff?  I don't know anything about Jackson. 

If MG were to miss time, would this turn into a split RBBC?