FlashGordon401

Melvin Gordon 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Cuffing does not work.  You held Ekeler but then missed out on Aaron Jones or James Conner.  You held Chase Edmunds and missed out on Josh Adams.

 

Ekeler is not a cuff. Just someone who will do 60-70% of the production. If anything, Gordon being out boosts rivers and his pass catchers maybe. 

 

Id rather roster someone else than ekeler being his cuff. Aim for upside.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Cuffing does not work.  You held Ekeler but then missed out on Aaron Jones or James Conner.  You held Chase Edmunds and missed out on Josh Adams.

 

I don’t like to deal with extremes. Handcuffs can work sometimes but it is very limited to certain systems and rbs. Ekeler is a borderline option, and has decent standalone value in ppr. It can definitely work for Ware and Conner/Deangelo Williams/most likely insert Pitt RB. Basically the system has to be able to support a running back and the back has to display starting caliber talent.

 

However, I do think the handcuff strategy gets overplayed, especially in leagues with limited bench spots, as that spot could be wasted for large portions of a season. Only decent handcuff options are Ware, Brown. Ekeler and Samuels are maybes due to Ekeler’s decent ppr potential and Samuels being designated a TE in yahoo leagues but both have not proven heavy usage.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

 

I don’t like to deal with extremes. Handcuffs can work sometimes but it is very limited to certain systems and rbs. Ekeler is a borderline option, and has decent standalone value in ppr. It can definitely work for Ware and Conner/Deangelo Williams/most likely insert Pitt RB. Basically the system has to be able to support a running back and the back has to display starting caliber talent.

 

However, I do think the handcuff strategy gets overplayed, especially in leagues with limited bench spots, as that spot could be wasted for large portions of a season. Only decent handcuff options are Ware, Brown. Ekeler and Samuels are maybes due to Ekeler’s decent ppr potential and Samuels being designated a TE in yahoo leagues but both have not proven heavy usage.

 

Agreed. The system and player talent has to match as well as the player profile. Ekeler is not a 20-25 touch guy but would be a rb2 in a pinch. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to post to stop getting emails for every post, but I will try to contribute.

 

FF is a crapshoot and it's anybody's guess as to to who's gonna win.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mikeyvegas said:

I have to post to stop getting emails for every post, but I will try to contribute.

 

FF is a crapshoot and it's anybody's guess as to to who's gonna win.

 

 

The team with more good players is usually going to win.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Cuffing does not work.  You held Ekeler but then missed out on Aaron Jones or James Conner.  You held Chase Edmunds and missed out on Josh Adams.

 

It's case dependent. With Ekeler You're banking on Gordon being hurt. And when he did get hurt Ekeler did nothing of worth. Now Ekeler may have two starts at best all season meanwhile WW pickups like Lindsay, Jones, conner, adams were available and missed out on.  Those guys can help you win leagues. Ekeler is not. 

 

However handcuffing known injury prone running backs usually pays off more often than not 

Edited by Guwop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Cuffing does not work.  You held Ekeler but then missed out on Aaron Jones or James Conner.  You held Chase Edmunds and missed out on Josh Adams.

 

It's not mutually exclusive.

 

I survived Fournette in a 12 teamer because I had Yeldon. Without him I would have been in bad shape, especially since I lost Ajayi well early. Having Yeldon did not preclude me from adding Chubb, Adams, and Smith (didn't work out but he was a potential flex at one point). If my lineup consisted of Alex Collins and a random RB in my RB2 spot I would have been 3-5 and not 5-4 when Fournette returned.

 

Using Fournette/Yeldon as an example, suppose I drafted another RB's cuff. Unless that was Conner where would that leave me? Jones was useless until recently and he is a rare case of a speculative RB panning out as a borderline RB1, and even that happened after doing little foe half a season.

 

Cuffing does not preclude you from taking shots at other RBs. I have Edwards, Adams, Chubb all in that league. Adams was the type of guy you could jump ahead of, as he wasn't a hot waiver add until this week, if you grabbed him earlier.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Cuffing does not work.  You held Ekeler but then missed out on Aaron Jones or James Conner.  You held Chase Edmunds and missed out on Josh Adams.

 

I don't think it is that simple. Cuffing is definitely overrated but its value is to limit downside in case your RB1 who was likely one of your first picks goes down. Just cause the RB1 doesn't go down doesn't mean it was necessarily a waste. You are correct however that often-times it is better to take a gamble on a talented back stuck in a time share like Jones who could emerge than holding on to a guy in case your lead guy gets injured especially since in only a handful of cases is the handcuff much better than a RB2 (which when factoring that this may not ever materialize you are probably better gambling on a guy like Jones that was already like a RB3 with upside for more). 

 

James Conner was literally the handcuff for Bell so I don't understand how he is an example of how handcuffing doesn't work. He is the biggest success story in this regard in a long time since you got a RB1 for literally the entire season in the late rounds. Other success stories this year have been Yeldon, Breida and Gio who stepped in admirably when the starter went down. Chubb technically was a handcuff too although instead of an injury a trade opened up his way to production. Guys like Coleman and Michel I don't really consider handcuffs since they were drafted so high/their usage (I think Michel's ADP factored in a likelihood he'd minimally carve out a role and not be simply a handcuff.) I'd consider Malcolm Brown and Spencer Ware other viable handcuffs even though they haven't panned out this year. 

 

Ekeler did have standalone flex value the first few weeks but stylistically I don't think the Chargers offense would be run the same way or use him the same way they use Gordon so I don't consider him a real handcuff but I think he was justified roster the first few weeks although I probably would've dropped him by this point (Not a bad speculative add now though as a potential RB2 if Gordon sits).  

Edited by Jaw1
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

 

It's not mutually exclusive.

 

I survived Fournette in a 12 teamer because I had Yeldon. Without him I would have been in bad shape, especially since I lost Ajayi well early. Having Yeldon did not preclude me from adding Chubb, Adams, and Smith (didn't work out but he was a potential flex at one point). If my lineup consisted of Alex Collins and a random RB in my RB2 spot I would have been 3-5 and not 5-4 when Fournette returned.

 

Using Fournette/Yeldon as an example, suppose I drafted another RB's cuff. Unless that was Conner where would that leave me? Jones was useless until recently and he is a rare case of a speculative RB panning out as a borderline RB1, and even that happened after doing little foe half a season.

 

Cuffing does not preclude you from taking shots at other RBs. I have Edwards, Adams, Chubb all in that league. Adams was the type of guy you could jump ahead of, as he wasn't a hot waiver add until this week, if you grabbed him earlier.

 

 

Yeldon performed way beyond what I expected him to. He has really demonstrated pass catching prowess this year. Definitely a good pickup that I missed out on because I underestimated him. Although with Hyde in the mix, I think his value is significantly diminished as a cuff if Fournette goes down again.

Edited by WaiverLooter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, brosephd said:

espn just updated status to doubtful however i dont see any official reports of that yet

 

Has this been confirmed anywhere? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brosephd said:

espn just updated status to doubtful however i dont see any official reports of that yet

Not to be an a**, but are you sure it’s Gordan and not Goodwin? Espn reported a little while ago that Goodwin was doubtful for the 49ers tomorrow 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WaiverLooter said:

 

Yeldon performed way beyond what I expected him to. He has really demonstrated pass catching prowess this year. Definitely a good pickup that I missed out on because I underestimated him. Although with Hyde in the mix, I think his value is significantly diminished as a cuff if Fournette goes down again.

 

Re his first half performance I don't think anyone saw RB1 production coming but he did a lot better generating yards via receiving this year. He was a weak RB2 type in the past. Re hispresent, agreed which is why I cut Yeldon. Cuffing only works, imo, in the following contexts:

 

1) weak RB depth/weak RBs on waivers. This is typically going to be the case in leagues with 12 teams or larger. You can build depth over a season but you won't have it early in a large league unless you focused exclusively on RB, a bad move. The good RBs dry up fast in 12+ team leagues. In a 10 team league you can easily construct a team where a top 20-25 RB is your RB4 or RB5.

 

2) there is a clear cuff in a system where he can return at least RB2 value. Yeldon was that previously but no longer is. Ware and Brown are the prime examples of such today.

 

3) the cuff comes at a cheap cost. It isn't worth drafting a cuff like Coleman in the 7th. There is too much talent on the board. Cuffing is only a good move imo if you do it in the 12th round or later. This allows you to build your team, take chances on guys like the aforementioned Aaron Jones, will still cuffing your top RB.

 

RBs are the most injury prone position. If you aren't cuffing you should consider going WR in the first round.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, ColoWrex said:

 

 

Seems pretty dumb for the coaches to have a say on injuries when you have actual doctors on the payroll.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, herschel said:

Gotta start him if he plays right?

I would think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to give it a go, but major risk obviously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.