FlashGordon401

Melvin Gordon 2018 Outlook

5 hours ago, trilly said:

As a Gordon owner, I fear the dreaded situation where he starts but has a dramatically scaled back role - if you cuffed him with Jackson (like I did...and Ekeler, lol) you'd almost rather them play Jackson and sit Gordon.  Overall this sucks because the Chargers are my favorite real-life team and this is not an easy call.

The MCL weakness shouldn't affect the ACL, but I would think it would impact his lateral cutting ability. I'm actually much less worried about permanent damage to his knee, or else I'd definitely rather they sit him. 

100% inaccurate...combination ACL/MCL injuries are fairly common.  If the MCL is weakened/injured, the ACL is then more susceptible to excessive stress, and possible injury.  This is exactly why the Chargers need to be extremely cautious with him.

• Like 1

This morning - not optimistic

This afternoon - feeling much better and pushing to play?  

Lol.  Im staying out of these threads until thursday

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chief79 said:

I get your point, but even if you only own Gordon, do you really want him to be a last minute game time decision on a Thursday night game only to have him play one series and realize he isn't able to play the rest of the game and then get a big fat 0 in your RB1 spot?  Us Gordon owners have no choice to play him if he is active and that could potentially lose us the week if it goes south.  

Sounds like Fournette from week 2 onward 

All jokes aside, I remember what the Jags coach said about Fournette a while back this season. He said something along the lines of "if I'm told he's available, I expect him to be 100%." And that doesnt seem to be the case with the Chargers coaches. If hes not 100% why risk the centerpiece of the offense? I understand the implications of the game but you're not winning the super bowl without Melvin Gordon. 

This is a crappy situation, to put it lightly, especially in the thick of the fantasy playoffs. As someone who doesnt own Gordon , I hope if he does play he balls out on Thursday. Good luck to all you owners. 

• Like 2

I think you guys are underestimating how the Chargers are viewing the prospects of this game going into it with just JJ as their RB.  They need MG back there to at least be somewhat scary to the defense.  

Edited by Zak0221

12 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

I think you guys are underestimating how the Chargers are viewing the prospects of this game going into it with just JJ as their RB.  They need MG back there to at least be somewhat scary to the defense.  

I'd still give the Chargers at least a decent chance even with only JJ back there. Rivers and the passing game should do serious damage on that KC secondary, apparently Eric Berry will finally be back though.

MGIII officially GTD, as a Gordon and Jackson owner, i'm hoping he plays because if he is playing i think it would mean he is ready for his regular snaps/usage.

2 minutes ago, cbe_88 said:

I'd still give the Chargers at least a decent chance even with only JJ back there. Rivers and the passing game should do serious damage on that KC secondary, apparently Eric Berry will finally be back though.

MGIII officially GTD, as a Gordon and Jackson owner, i'm hoping he plays because if he is playing i think it would mean he is ready for his regular snaps/usage.

I feel if Eckler was good to go, I get the sense that MG would rest up.  Eckler basically being down and out for this game is forcing him to try harder to be ready this week.

This week was likely a 50-50 week for him and was hoping to have that 10 days rest after Thursday to be fully ready but he may not have that luxury.  

Edited by Zak0221

3 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

I feel if Eckler was good to go, I get the sense that MG would rest up.  Eckler basically being down and out for this game is forcing him to try harder to be ready this week.

Doesn't work this way. Situation wouldn't be any different if Ekeler could play. MGIII wants to play regardless. 

Plus what do you mean trying harder? Is he practicing chi harnessing and meditating to heal his leg? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Doesn't work this way. Situation wouldn't be any different if Ekeler could play. MGIII wants to play regardless. 

Plus what do you mean trying harder? Is he practicing chi harnessing and meditating to heal his leg? 

I mean that he puts in an extra hour of rehab or practice work than he might not have if he was planning on sitting out this week.  If he knows he won't play, no reason to push your legs harder than you need to because he wouldn't be preparing for a game.  

Of course MG wants to play regardless what other RBs are avail for the Chargers, my point was simply that MG probably understands the Chargers are in a much more dire situation with the #1 and #2 RB out so he probably is pushing harder to play this week had the #2 been avail.

MG and Eckler been on this team for several years now, they compliment each other and since Eckler went down while replacing MG last game, Im sure he wants to pick his teammate up.  Its highly doubtful the players and coaches are beaming with confidence about a 7th round rookie in a highly competitive road game. 

Edited by Zak0221

1 minute ago, Zak0221 said:

I mean that he puts in an extra hour of rehab or practice work than he might not have if he was planning on sitting out this week.  If he knows he won't play, no reason to push your legs harder than you need to because he wouldn't be preparing for a game.  

MGIII has always seemed the like kind of guy who is going to give it his all. I've never heard any news to discredit that either, which is why I was getting pissed off when people kept mentioning if any of these injuries were contract related, AKA fake. 

Guy seems genuine, doesn't have any shady marks on his record, and is a stud at running the ball. I'm hoping he plays just so we get the best possible game Thursday night. 

1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

MGIII has always seemed the like kind of guy who is going to give it his all. I've never heard any news to discredit that either, which is why I was getting pissed off when people kept mentioning if any of these injuries were contract related, AKA fake. 

Guy seems genuine, doesn't have any shady marks on his record, and is a stud at running the ball. I'm hoping he plays just so we get the best possible game Thursday night. 

That's an argument from ignorance. Fallacy!

I bet he sits, why risk him coming back and then missing ROS and playoffs. See Freeman ATL and Fournette  playing gimpy then out for multiple weeks. I’m sure there are others as well. With him they can make noise in the playoffs and without 1 & DONE!

9 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

Of course MG wants to play regardless what other RBs are avail for the Chargers, my point was simply that MG probably understands the Chargers are in a much more dire situation with the #1 and #2 RB out so he probably is pushing harder to play this week had the #2 been avail.

MG and Eckler been on this team for several years now, they compliment each other and since Eckler went down while replacing MG last game, Im sure he wants to pick his teammate up.  Its highly doubtful the players and coaches are beaming with confidence about a 7th round rookie in a highly competitive road game. 

what's worse?  facing Thursday night with the rook, or the entire playoffs with the rook?

that's the risk he/they are running if he goes and does more damage. 

6 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

what's worse?  facing Thursday night with the rook, or the entire playoffs with the rook?

that's the risk he/they are running if he goes and does more damage. 

Teams are much smarter than this.  If Gordon plays this week it will likely be in a limited fashion in a way to help keep the defense somewhat honest.   They aren't going to run him into the ground.  Playoffs are nearly a month from now, that's too far away to play the 'we won't have him for the playoffs' card, they need to win this week.  I am kinda leaning to him playing, this dude played effectively injured last year as well.  

Sometimes if you are 'toooo' cautious you cut your nose off to spite your face essentially.  Totally understand the risks involved as I am sure the Chargers do as well. 

Edited by Zak0221

3 minutes ago, Zak0221 said:

Teams are much smarter than this.  If Gordon plays this week it will likely be in a limited fashion in a way to help keep the defense somewhat honest.   They aren't going to run him into the ground.  Playoffs are nearly a month from now, that's too far away to play the 'we won't have him for the playoffs' card, they need to win this week.  I am kinda leaning to him playing, this dude played effectively injured last year as well.  

Sometimes if you are 'toooo' cautious you cut your nose off to spite your face essentially.  Totally understand the risks involved as I am sure the Chargers do as well. 

he doesn't need to be "run into the ground" to further incapacitate himself ... it could happen on the first snap - as it could with any player  - but even moreso for one already hobbled.  

If they're pushing him to play on a tender hammy instead of resting him until he's near 100% and a playoff run, then that would be idiotic. If anything they should keep the illusion of him playing to worry the chiefs and then make an honest game time call.

5 minutes ago, kball09 said:

If they're pushing him to play on a tender hammy instead of resting him until he's near 100% and a playoff run, then that would be idiotic. If anything they should keep the illusion of him playing to worry the chiefs and then make an honest game time call.

LAC a lock for the playoffs. What’s more important winning a seemingly unwinable game against K.C. this week or winning opening week of the playoffs. Sitting 100% 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kball09 said:

He has a knee injury not a hamstring...

If he looks good in the pre game warm ups he will play.  All this non sense about the first round of the playoffs when we are not even to Christmas yet needs to stop.  Teams are focused on this week, even the Chiefs.  You would see a plethora of backup players flooding starting line ups during weeks 14-16 if coaches acted like fantasy owners and how we want our players 'preserved'. 

Edited by Zak0221

The Chargers are basically stuck in the 5 seed at this point. Even if they beat the Chiefs this week, they need to win out (vs. Baltimore and @ Broncos) and have the Chiefs lose either @ Seattle or  vs. Oakland to win the division. 

If they finish tied at 13-3, the tiebreak will go to the Chiefs, because they will have a better record within the divison. 

So yes, the Chargers would love to win this game and keep the pressure on the Chiefs in the division. However realistically they need to win on Thursday Night, beat the Ravens and Broncos weeks 16/17, and have the Chiefs lose to the Seahawks (would be a second consecutive loss). Crazier things have happened, but short of all of these things going in their favor the Chargers will be the 5 seed and will be a road team on Wild Card weekend (likely against the Patriots, Texans, or Steelers). 

6 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

The Chargers are basically stuck in the 5 seed at this point. Even if they beat the Chiefs this week, they need to win out (vs. Baltimore and @ Broncos) and have the Chiefs lose either @ Seattle or  vs. Oakland to win the division. 

If they finish tied at 13-3, the tiebreak will go to the Chiefs, because they will have a better record within the divison. 

So yes, the Chargers would love to win this game and keep the pressure on the Chiefs in the division. However realistically they need to win on Thursday Night, beat the Ravens and Broncos weeks 16/17, and have the Chiefs lose to the Seahawks (would be a second consecutive loss). Crazier things have happened, but short of all of these things going in their favor the Chargers will be the 5 seed and will be a road team on Wild Card weekend (likely against the Patriots, Texans, or Steelers). 

No coach on the Chargers is thinking about this.  They are focused on this week and winning this game.  They can look at all these situations next week when they are evaluating during the 10 days between this game and the next one.  

As fans we just want to see teams fully healthy in the playoffs for the best games possible but an NFL season is a long grind, these players and teams are solely focused about their current tasks which for the Chargers is the Chiefs this week.  

Who knows, maybe their first round opponent in the playoffs is the freaking Titans or something and doubt MG would make much of a difference in that particular matchup, who's to say they don't keep him on ice til the divisional round, or might need him for the Superbowl need to not play him in any playoff games.  We are way too far out to worry about who will be available in the post season.  I understand where the angle comes from but it feels a bit tooooo cautious for what we have known as the business of the NFL every week is a must win. 

Edited by Zak0221

Chargers have no choice but to play Gordon this week...skinny JJ cannot handle a full workload.

1 minute ago, Zak0221 said:

No coach on the Chargers is thinking about this.  They are focused on this week and winning this game.  They can look at all these situations next week when they are evaluating during the 10 days between this game and the next one.  

I didn't say they weren't focused on winning this game. However winning this game at the possible expense of your workhorse RB when chances are even with a win your playoff position won't improve? That's something that they have to think about. It would be irresponsibile not to do a cost/benefit analysis of pushing Gordon to return vs. giving him an extra 10 days to heal up when their larger goal is a deep playoff run. The Chargers have a veteran QB in Rivers so they don't *need* to lean on the running game, and Jackson did provide a spark in their comeback win against the Steelers, so they should have confidence that he can fill in. 

If he were healthy enough to play you wouldn’t be sweating a coumpound knee injury 10 days ago. Watch him come back and give you 3 plays like Sammy Watkins dumb a** did Vs LAR, he’s probably not playing again this season.  If he blows his knee he will be jag the rest of his career. I guarantee his agent is telling him make sure he’s healthy.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Chargers have no choice but to play Gordon this week...skinny JJ cannot handle a full workload.

he'll be DY-NO-MITE!!!!1!!1

Just now, pastorofmuppets2 said:

he'll be DY-NO-MITE!!!!1!!1

Thanks for getting the reference...KID DY-NO-MITE

• Haha 1