FlashGordon401

Melvin Gordon 2018 Outlook

11 hours ago, tts42572 said:

This is exactly the way they should approach it if you ask me.

Either he's healthy enough to play and shoulder close to his normal workload or he doesn't play.  I mean, there is ZERO reason to run him out there for limited snaps or whatever IMO.  If he's playing limited snaps, you're basically admitting that he's not healthy and showing how dumb your organization is.

I just don't believe this is some must-win game for the Chargers.  Sure, it would be nice to win and could make their playoff road easier.  But their playoff road becomes darn near impossible if they run a still injured Gordon out there Thursday night and he ends up re-injuring that knee.

I think as fantasy owners, we have to assume the Chargers coaches and medical staff have a brain in their heads and they won't activate Gordon unless they feel he can play close to normal capacity.  As such, if he's active, I'm playing him.  

If they activate him only to receive 5 carries and run around as a decoy or something, they're complete morons and they're probably losing the game anyways if they play that way.  It would just be a really dumb risk to take.

Just to add to this.  The Chargers just last week ran Ekeler out there for a substantial workload despite their very own coach's comments earlier in the week about him being wore down from special teams and such.  Justin Jackson was supposed to see more time because of this.  That didn't happen, but what did happen?  Ekeler was injured late in the game on, yes, special teams.  In light of this, I would think the Chargers would be quite gunshy of deploying Gordon if he is not close to 100%.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OmegaRed88 said:

Just to add to this.  The Chargers just last week ran Ekeler out there for a substantial workload despite their very own coach's comments earlier in the week about him being wore down from special teams and such.  Justin Jackson was supposed to see more time because of this.  That didn't happen, but what did happen?  Ekeler was injured late in the game on, yes, special teams.  In light of this, I would think the Chargers would be quite gunshy of deploying Gordon if he is not close to 100%.

Or they are just a dumb organization that has no sense for such things and puts their players into jeopardy. Ekeler injured on the hands team (!) after already having stingers and looking f***ed up all game long, while their HC admitted leading up to the game that Ekeler isn't right and shouldn't be overworked. If Gordon suits up, I'd put a decent bet on him not being able to finish the game.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

It seems to me that Melvin Gordon will play tomorrow night.  Gordon seems like a poor option running as a road dog with a huge risk of reinjury.  In the last game Gordon played, he was reinjured and could not finish the game.  Now Gordon has been limited in practice this week, so Gordon is obviously not 100% healthy.  The kids a warrior and a team leader, so you know he's going to want to be out there.

But it is up to the CS to see the bigger picture.  If Gordon is active and plays, that's a mistake in my view.

He didn’t get reinjured. The injury last game was completely unrelated.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, akooreman180 said:

Injuries often lead to other injuries when your body has to compensate for weaker areas. Cooper Kupp is a good example. 

I think the Chargers staff is dumb enough to risk Melvin Gordon for the rest of season just to try win this game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Injuries often lead to other injuries when your body has to compensate for weaker areas. Cooper Kupp is a good example. 

I think the Chargers staff is dumb enough to risk Melvin Gordon for the rest of season just to try win this game. 

I am forced to agree.  But they may have to do this, or lose the locker room.

1 hour ago, akooreman180 said:

Absolutely correct. It was a bizarre injury on the other uninsured leg from a play that never should’ve been called. 

I think he’s close to 100% and he’s gonna eat. 

1 hour ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Sure but that wasn’t remotely the case in this instance. It was a fluke contact injury to other leg. Not a hamstring pull or something like that due to overcompensation. Anyways since they haven’t added a 3rd back it seems like he’s going to give it a go I would think.

• Like 2

Not worth the risk for the Chargers in my opinion.  Sit him out another week or 2. They are 10-3 and have a playoff spot locked up. The small chance of getting a first round bye is not reason to risk your stud RB for the rest of the season. 

Even if Chargers win, the Chiefs hold the divisional record tiebreaker. 

Moronic organization if he plays, especially when they have a guy that is top 10 rushing all time in NCAA history to play and something to prove.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

Not worth the risk for the Chargers in my opinion.  Sit him out another week or 2. They are 10-3 and have a playoff spot locked up. The small chance of getting a first round bye is not reason to risk your stud RB for the rest of the season. 

Even if Chargers win, the Chiefs hold the divisional record tiebreaker. 

Moronic organization if he plays, especially when they have a guy that is top 10 rushing all time in NCAA history to play and something to prove.

Somebody is playing against Gordon this week...

• Like 1

I own Gordon and Jackson for the record. Makes no sense for the Chargers to play him. Let the young guy take the reins and rest your stud RB. 

The small chance of a first round bye isnt worth it. You are still 2nd in division if you win!!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

I own Gordon and Jackson for the record. Makes no sense for the Chargers to play him. Let the young guy take the reins and rest your stud RB. 

The small chance of a first round bye isnt worth it. You are still 2nd in division if you win!!!!

I don't believe this is true. Head to head is the first divisional tiebreaker. To me sitting him or not is a judgement call based on how healthy he is and what the medical staff think the likelihood of him worsening the injury by playing on it. 

https://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Edited by Jaw1

5 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

It isn't just a first round bye. It's having home field throughout the playoffs versus being on the road the entire playoffs (unless the 6 seed made the championship game). It's a lot tougher to win three games on the road than it is to win two games at home. 

Jackson is their third stringer. We don't know how much confidence they have in him. 

I still don't think they risk their long term prospects by putting him out there if he isn't in good shape but I also see them playing him if he is 80 percent or so. A lot of players are banged up at this point anyway, especially running backs.

• Like 2

Many questionable decisions by the Chargers coaching staff this year. They are winning so it’s not being questioned. We’ll find out game time, and make a judgement call.

8 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

I don't believe this is true. Head to head is the first divisional tiebreaker. To me sitting him or not is a judgement call based on how healthy he is and what the medical staff think the likelihood of him worsening the injury by playing on it. 

https://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

It is true. Even if the Chargers win they will still be 2nd in the division.

Head to head match up would be split 1-1

Chiefs better divisional record ---would be their only divisional loss

Chargers have 2 divisional losses against Chiefs and Broncos

10 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

Bro it’s week 15. That’s still 3 weeks left in the season, no one knows for sure how the Chiefs Or Chargers finish out those games. Saying that they “at best get 2nd” in the division is pretty pre-mature. This is the NFL, there are no guarantees, ever.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

Winning would give them a shot at the division, and hence the top seed. You are correct they would still need another Chiefs loss but this would give them a shot and they would have to win out themselves (or go 1-1 and KC 0-2). It's unlikely but having home field for two games is a lot better than being on the road for three. If it is even a 25 percent chance of being achieved it is worth it, provides you don't unduly risk the health of MG.

One thing to note is the Chiefs are now down to their third string RB. How will that effect them? The Chargers can't just assume they will keep scoring 40 every week with Williams and what if he goes down too?

Edited by Ace_King

4 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking obvi they played already they are in same division. Still it gives them their only shot at overcoming the Chiefs. I think there is a scenario where it makes sense to play Gordon but obviously it depends on just how injured he is since not only is there more risk of him doing further harm but the more injured he is the less benefit he gives you over Jackson. 

Edited by Jaw1

4 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

Yeah I don't know what I was thinking obvi they played already they are in same division. Still it gives them their only shot at overcoming the Chiefs. I think there is a scenario where it makes sense to play Gordon but obviously it depends on just how injured he is since not only is their more risk of him doing further harm but the more injured he is the less benefit he gives you over Jackson. 

Great point. They aren't going to play him just to play him because at some point a healthy Jackson becomes a better option than a not fully healthy Gordon.

Even if he is 80% he will get all the goalline work and have an excellent chance at a TD or 2 and that is all he needs for a solid week 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Makes sense. Let’s hope Gordon plays and stays healthy! 

1 hour ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Absolutely correct. It was a bizarre injury on the other uninsured leg from a play that never should’ve been called. 

I think he’s close to 100% and he’s gonna eat. 

Let’s hope so!!

10 hours ago, Ace_King said:

It isn't just a first round bye. It's having home field throughout the playoffs versus being on the road the entire playoffs (unless the 6 seed made the championship game). It's a lot tougher to win three games on the road than it is to win two games at home. 

Jackson is their third stringer. We don't know how much confidence they have in him. 

I still don't think they risk their long term prospects by putting him out there if he isn't in good shape but I also see them playing him if he is 80 percent or so. A lot of players are banged up at this point anyway, especially running backs.

Oh we know how much confidence they have in Jackson.

See last week when Ekeler was supposedly "worn down" and Jackson was set to get more carries ;)