Robrain

Los Angeles Rams 2018 Outlook

Lol...

Jedd Fisch - C - Rams

Rams hired ex-UCLA OC Jedd Fisch as senior offensive assistant.

It sounds like a Jeff Fisher alias, but Fisch, 41, has plenty of NFL experience. He last worked in the league as the Jaguars' OC under failed coach Gus Bradley in 2013-2014 before heading back to college. Fisch will likely handle a lot of the duties left behind by QBs coach Greg Olson, who took the Raiders' OC gig.

I think they overachieved just a bit this year but will still be a very good team. I see them at 10-6 depending on what they do in free agency. 

Much will depend on their schedule - Goff was pretty bad against top-half defenses.

• Like 1

Lot's of potential changes could be coming: Do they bring back Sammy Watkins?  Trumaine Johnson? Does Aaron Donald get that massive contract? 

Tavon Austin is almost certainly a cap casualty, do they let Robert Quinn walk to save some more? Mark Barron? 

No way do they bring back Watkins unless they get a deal with Donald done in the next month. They're not franchising Watkins (for $17 mill) without having their best player locked up long-term.

As a Rams fan, I'm about 90% sure Watkins will be back next year.

The Rams want continuity with their young WR group.

1 hour ago, afl5013 said:

As a Rams fan, I'm about 90% sure Watkins will be back next year.

The Rams want continuity with their young WR group.

At what price though?

38 minutes ago, South Carolina said:

At what price though?

I'm assuming they are going to try to work a deal before the deadline, and again after the deadline. He sounds like he wants to stay, and I doubt they would've traded a 2nd round pick unless they had a gameplan.

I don't remember the details, but I know it's possible for the Rams to retain Watkins and Trumaine while extending Donald, it just needs to be done right. Something like extending Quinn to move his money around, and cutting Austin and Barron.

Well, we'll be saving a lot of money not having to resign Trumaine and Peters still being on his rookie contract. Sad to see him go though. :( 

9 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

Well, we'll be saving a lot of money not having to resign Trumaine and Peters still being on his rookie contract. Sad to see him go though. :( 

I wish we could keep Trumaine and still bring in Peters.. would be such a nice CB combo. I'd rather see us spend on defense and try and find a deep threat WR in the draft or a cheap guy in FA.

46 minutes ago, smeeze said:

I wish we could keep Trumaine and still bring in Peters.. would be such a nice CB combo. I'd rather see us spend on defense and try and find a deep threat WR in the draft or a cheap guy in FA.

Yeah, I wouldn't hate that but I think Tru is going to cost too much.

Although I did see the Steelers were listening to offers on Martavis. He's a headcase too, but would fit the role Sammy played pretty well.

Rams acquired CB Aqib Talib from the Broncos in exchange for a fifth-round pick.

It's the Rams' second trade for a corner in two weeks, and gives DC Wade Phillips a veteran frontline starter to pair with volatile, young pro Marcus Peters. The Broncos had decided that 32-year-old Talib was no longer worth his $11 million salary ?" the trade terms confirm the move is a salary dump ?" but he remained one of the league's better corners in 2017. Durable, Talib has remained extremely consistent. He's reuniting with Phillips after two years together in Denver. The Rams have done an excellent job of rebuilding their cornerback corps on the fly.

Wow that D is going to be scary.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Wow that D is going to be scary.

The Rams turn-around has been remarkable.  I love what they’re doing.

Getting Phillips was an epic win for the Rams, and a epic blunder by the Broncos.

Philips knows Talib better than any other.  This D should be ranked #1 in the league.

I’ll be targeting the Rams D in fantasy, they’re going to eat these rookie QBs for breakfast.

As soon as someone drafts Jacksonville, I’ll be drafting the Rams.

37 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

The Rams turn-around has been remarkable.  I love what they’re doing.

Getting Phillips was an epic win for the Rams, and a epic blunder by the Broncos.

Philips knows Talib better than any other.  This D should be ranked #1 in the league.

I’ll be targeting the Rams D in fantasy, they’re going to eat these rookie QBs for breakfast.

As soon as someone drafts Jacksonville, I’ll be drafting the Rams.

They also lost Quinn and Ogletree.  Their LBs are really thin right now.

Eagles might make a run at that #2 spot after JAX.

Rams still have a-ways to go to solve their run-D woes, but they sure are looking strong on paper.

17 minutes ago, RustyMiller said:

Right now its Jags, Eagles, Vikings, Rams, Ravens as the top 5.  

Someone is going to reach for the Jags, Eagles, Vikings because of the Playoffs, etc.  Someone will probably also take the Broncos because they’re not paying attention.  The Ravens are a safe pick, but lack upside.  I like the Rams, they still have some cap space to make improvements...

If I miss on the top5 I’ll be taking the Chargers.

1 hour ago, seanismorris said:

Right now its Jags, Eagles, Vikings, Rams, Ravens as the top 5.  

Someone is going to reach for the Jags, Eagles, Vikings because of the Playoffs, etc.  Someone will probably also take the Broncos because they’re not paying attention.  The Ravens are a safe pick, but lack upside.  I like the Rams, they still have some cap space to make improvements...

If I miss on the top5 I’ll be taking the Chargers.

Chargers are a NT, ball hawk FS, and lb (assuming Brown can't regain his rookie year form) away from being the best D in the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RustyMiller said:

Rams need a LBs, NT, and edge rushers.  Back end looks good but in the front 7 it's Donald, Brockers, and that's it.

They did have a rookie developmental prospect last year that flashed but I'm blanking on his name atm.

14 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Chargers are a NT, ball hawk FS, and lb (assuming Brown can't regain his rookie year form) away from being the best D in the league.

They were quietly the 5 best D in fantasy in the league.  The Vikings were 13th but were high profile... people couldn’t come to terms with Keenum winning them games.

Here’s the rankings at FantasyPros

1. Jags

2. Vikings

3. Seahawks 

4. Broncos

5. Eagles 

6. Chargers

7. Ravens 

8. Texans

9. Rams

10. Chiefs

They haven’t adjusted for FA or trades, but I often find ADP on D’s have nothing to do with reality.

I propose Vita Vea to the Chargers to fill that glaring NT need

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seanismorris said:

They were quietly the 5 best D in fantasy in the league.  The Vikings were 13th but were high profile... people couldn’t come to terms with Keenum winning them games.

Here’s the rankings at FantasyPros

1. Jags

2. Vikings

3. Seahawks 

4. Broncos

5. Eagles 

6. Chargers

7. Ravens 

8. Texans

9. Rams

10. Chiefs

They haven’t adjusted for FA or trades, but I often find ADP on D’s have nothing to do with reality.

Seattle at 3?  Even before trades that was a reach. 

Texans are too low at this moment. 

7 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Rams need a LBs, NT, and edge rushers.  Back end looks good but in the front 7 it's Donald, Brockers, and that's it.

They did have a rookie developmental prospect last year that flashed but I'm blanking on his name atm.

Samson Ebukam.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Seattle at 3?  Even before trades that was a reach. 

Texans are too low at this moment. 

I agree.  In 2017 Seattle’s D was decimated by injuries, but many of their best players were known to be leaving.

The Broncos weren’t even an average D in 2017.  A better offense would help in 2018, but I think the “experts” are being overly optimistic.

The Broncos and Seattle jump out as being overly hyped, and living in the past.  The Rams & Chargers are ascending D’s.

The Texans D was bad last year, but there is a good chance they bounce back with Watt.