thebrowns

Michael Gallup 2018 Season Outlook (Dynasty Flair)

Recommended Posts

This is the icebreaker for Gallup. Those of us who play Dynasty, especially contracts, are very interested in players who are available in later rounds and who can contribute immediately while flashing potential. Looking for JuJu Smith-Schuester types (fantasy production not playing style). Gallup is a 6'1" senior wideout for Colorado State. Below is a little info I've accumulated so far; the real magic is watching him play. He looks good.

WR Michael Gallup Colorado St

Steve Muench ESPN: "He shows deceptive burst after the catch, and it tends to take more than one defender to get him on the ground. A tough open-field runner with enough elusiveness to make a defender miss and the balance to bounce off contact, he also flashes the ability to make highlight-reel catches." 

DRAFT BLASTER: "Has a instinctive ability to get open, and to operate in space. An excellent “yards after catch” type receiver, particularly well suited for West coast offensives. Very agile with good hands. Will need to continue to work on both his route running and making separation at the point of the catch."

ESPN Todd McShay@Senior Bowl: "Gallup looked like a natural pass-catcher early, and extended for a Mayfield pass down the seam during team drills even though he knew he'd get lit up. At 6-1, 198 pounds, Gallup flashed a solid release and good speed."

Josh Norris ROTOWORLD Jan 22: "A really enjoyable watch. Gallup finishes every single reception with aggression. He wants to pick up the difficult yards, and often does. That is also his question, so much of his game is contested or in tight coverage. How is he at creating separation and sustaining it?"

Alex Kozora STEELERDEPOT Jan 23: "Speed and a nice catch radius. Snag over his head on a zip by Baker Mayfield over the middle in team drills." 

 

I think that, unless he gets burried (Eli Rogers [i know he wasn't a rookie this year]), Gallup should contribute right away. He seems like a 2-5 round guy. I think he'll be 7-10pts a week standard by the end of the season.

 

What do you think of Gallup so far?

Where would be good landing spots?

 

I think he could be money if he landed in Kansas City especially if that young QB starts.

Others I thought of:

Green Bay (wouldn't be great for 2018 production)

Seattle

Baltimore (don't love flacco but he probably can still get us some fantasy wr production)

Oakland (is crabtree going to be there next year?)

San Francisco (Could be a good opportunity to learn from Garcon, Jimmy G seems to have an ounce or two of talent)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thebrowns said:

This is the icebreaker for Gallup. Those of us who play Dynasty, especially contracts, are very interested in players who are available in later rounds and who can contribute immediately while flashing potential. Looking for JuJu Smith-Schuester types (fantasy production not playing style). Gallup is a 6'1" senior wideout for Colorado State. Below is a little info I've accumulated so far; the real magic is watching him play. He looks good.

 

WR Michael Gallup Colorado St

Steve Muench ESPN: "He shows deceptive burst after the catch, and it tends to take more than one defender to get him on the ground. A tough open-field runner with enough elusiveness to make a defender miss and the balance to bounce off contact, he also flashes the ability to make highlight-reel catches." 

DRAFT BLASTER: "Has a instinctive ability to get open, and to operate in space. An excellent “yards after catch” type receiver, particularly well suited for West coast offensives. Very agile with good hands. Will need to continue to work on both his route running and making separation at the point of the catch."

ESPN Todd McShay@Senior Bowl: "Gallup looked like a natural pass-catcher early, and extended for a Mayfield pass down the seam during team drills even though he knew he'd get lit up. At 6-1, 198 pounds, Gallup flashed a solid release and good speed."

Josh Norris ROTOWORLD Jan 22: "A really enjoyable watch. Gallup finishes every single reception with aggression. He wants to pick up the difficult yards, and often does. That is also his question, so much of his game is contested or in tight coverage. How is he at creating separation and sustaining it?"

Alex Kozora STEELERDEPOT Jan 23: "Speed and a nice catch radius. Snag over his head on a zip by Baker Mayfield over the middle in team drills." 

 

I think that, unless he gets burried (Eli Rogers [i know he wasn't a rookie this year]), Gallup should contribute right away. He seems like a 2-5 round guy. I think he'll be 7-10pts a week standard by the end of the season.

 

What do you think of Gallup so far?

Where would be good landing spots?

 

I think he could be money if he landed in Kansas City especially if that young QB starts.

Others I thought of:

Green Bay (wouldn't be great for 2018 production)

Seattle

Baltimore (don't love flacco but he probably can still get us some fantasy wr production)

Oakland (is crabtree going to be there next year?)

San Francisco (Could be a good opportunity to learn from Garcon, Jimmy G seems to have an ounce or two of talent)

 

 

 

He didnt do much against Alabama this past season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

 

He didnt do much against Alabama this past season.

 

And that’s meaningless, ask Fournette.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

 

He didnt do much against Alabama this past season.

1

 

I didn't realize that 5 receptions for 81 yards wasn't "much". I think that's pretty good. You might have gotten to see the game; admittedly I'm just looking at a box score. I'd expect a mighty SEC team to shut down the top weapon for a lowly MWC team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, dmb3684 said:

In reference to KC. I still think Conley can be good.

 

I have kept him on my squad. My worries with Conley are 1) how will he come back? 2) can he figure out the mechanics of routes and catching?

 

Gallup has great hands and I think he could exist alongside Hill and Conley. I think I'd really like to see Gallup in SF. Especially if Smith is back in KC (which would be dumb IMO)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No clue about  the injury. But he looked ok before he got hurt. I don't know much about Gallup and am a GA fan fwiw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, thebrowns said:

 

I didn't realize that 5 receptions for 81 yards wasn't "much". I think that's pretty good. You might have gotten to see the game; admittedly I'm just looking at a box score. I'd expect a mighty SEC team to shut down the top weapon for a lowly MWC team.

 

Gallup played ok but i didnt see anything special jump out on film. Maybe it was his QB?

 

He didnt attack the ball, didnt control a late game TD catch when going tonthe ground. Alabama covered him with a walk-on CB.

 

He was targeted about 11 times if not more and caught 5, almost all of them when the game was out of reach. He looked to be a lackadaisical blocker.

 

Of course it was just 1 game. Tell me what you see..

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

No clue about  the injury. But he looked ok before he got hurt. I don't know much about Gallup and am a GA fan fwiw.

 

Awesome! I never saw Conley play, just picked him up in dynasty when Mahomes II was drafted, figured it would be good to grab a freak athlete for cheap (in contract league) knowing that I could have him sit for a year while he suffered under the throws of Smith. He ruptured his Achilles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thebrowns said:

 

Awesome! I never saw Conley play, just picked him up in dynasty when Mahomes II was drafted, figured it would be good to grab a freak athlete for cheap (in contract league) knowing that I could have him sit for a year while he suffered under the throws of Smith. He ruptured his Achilles. 

 

Demarcus Robinson will compete with Conley and Robinson seems like the better receiver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

Gallup played ok but i didnt see anything special jump out on film. Maybe it was his QB?

 

He didnt attack the ball, didnt control a late game TD catch when going tonthe ground. Alabama covered him with a walk-on CB.

 

He was targeted about 11 times if not more and caught 5, almost all of them when the game was out of reach. He looked to be a lackadaisical blocker.

 

Of course it was just 1 game. Tell me what you see..

 

 

 

 

This is a great video. Thanks! Could he have been more aggressive in the blocking? Maybe. They were running the opposite way. I only saw two drops. One was underthrown while he was in stride. He should have secured that TD at the end; he did a good job of catching the ball away from his body on the way down even with a defender's hand in there, he can't lose possession like that on a double catch. He showed the ability to catch the ball in traffic and to make good contact/fall forward. He's not a no. 1 but he could be a solid second receiver. 

 

I'm thinking he is a great 31st or later pick in dynasty. Would you slate him later than that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

 

Gallup played ok but i didnt see anything special jump out on film. Maybe it was his QB?

 

 

 

 

2

His QB was definitely trash. I see Gallup as the WR9/10 in this class. Worth drafting to see if he lands in a good spot. Look at Alvin Kamara. Limited skill set, but was asked to do what he does and he excelled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thebrowns said:

 

This is a great video. Thanks! Could he have been more aggressive in the blocking? Maybe. They were running the opposite way. I only saw two drops. One was underthrown while he was in stride. He should have secured that TD at the end; he did a good job of catching the ball away from his body on the way down even with a defender's hand in there, he can't lose possession like that on a double catch. He showed the ability to catch the ball in traffic and to make good contact/fall forward. He's not a no. 1 but he could be a solid second receiver. 

 

I'm thinking he is a great 31st or later pick in dynasty. Would you slate him later than that?

 

Well,  i think he is talented but 31st in dynasty is a bit pricey for me. I took Mack Hollins around that pick last year and dont think gallup is as good as Mack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, thebrowns said:

 

Awesome! I never saw Conley play, just picked him up in dynasty when Mahomes II was drafted, figured it would be good to grab a freak athlete for cheap (in contract league) knowing that I could have him sit for a year while he suffered under the throws of Smith. He ruptured his Achilles. 

 

SSS came back from it. We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't gotten that deep in my draft research yet, but I think you're seriously reaching here for something that's not likely there. 

 

Walter football has him as their #20 WR coming out this year. Not exceptionally big and fairly slow for a WR, I'd probably never let him touch my dynasty team myself, but feel free to do you. 

 

I think you can do much better at pick 31 though. If I'm gonna reach on receivers this deep I want 6'2+ and sub 4.5 speed. 

 

Let's see how these guys train in the offseason. Still plenty of time to improve that speed before the combine. 

 

Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State 
Height: 6-1. Weight: 200. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.56. 
Projected Round (2018): 4-6. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I haven't gotten that deep in my draft research yet, but I think you're seriously reaching here for something that's not likely there. 

 

Walter football has him as their #20 WR coming out this year. Not exceptionally big and fairly slow for a WR, I'd probably never let him touch my dynasty team myself, but feel free to do you. 

 

I think you can do much better at pick 31 though. If I'm gonna reach on receivers this deep I want 6'2+ and sub 4.5 speed. 

 

Let's see how these guys train in the offseason. Still plenty of time to improve that speed before the combine. 

 

Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State 
Height: 6-1. Weight: 200. 
Projected 40 Time: 4.56. 
Projected Round (2018): 4-6. 

 

 

Wow, he looked a little more agile than 4.56. He just seems sure-handed. You have me rethinking things for sure. I really see him thriving in the slot, I like his hands in traffic. But maybe I'll move him down on my list. Personally, I like guys like Dante Pettis, Deontay Burnett, Antonio Callaway, and Jaleel Scott better. I'm just working on finding position before they are drafted. Like CBS football and Walter Football things will change dramatically as we go through combine and the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, thebrowns said:

 

 

Wow, he looked a little more agile than 4.56. He just seems sure-handed. You have me rethinking things for sure. I really see him thriving in the slot, I like his hands in traffic. But maybe I'll move him down on my list. Personally, I like guys like Dante Pettis, Deontay Burnett, Antonio Callaway, and Jaleel Scott better. I'm just working on finding position before they are drafted. Like CBS football and Walter Football things will change dramatically as we go through combine and the draft.

 

I agree with what you're saying here. And top end speed isn't everything, especially when it comes to guys roaming the middle. I'll want to see how his 3 cone drills and shuttles go myself.  

 

Be wary with CBS sports though. They are generally the worst this early on in the process, but just have the best and easiest to use draft interface (IMO). 

 

It is only a "projected" 40 time FWIW, and many of these guys train hard in the offseason and surprise when it comes down to combine and pro day.

 

Don't allow me to totally detour you either. You definitely might be onto something here. Like I said, I haven't gotten this far in my draft research yet and only know him from the Alabama game right now. 

 

So far since reading this initial post on him and making mine I've done some brief research and it sounds like he's definitely turning some heads at the senior bowl. 

 

I also found this article on ESPN talking highly of him worth a read if you haven't already :

 

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21777073/michael-gallup-colorado-state-rams-best-receiver-know-yet

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't take Walter Football for gospel. Many of their reported 40 times are way off. I truly don't even know where they come up with a bunch of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, thebrowns said:

 

 

Wow, he looked a little more agile than 4.56. He just seems sure-handed. You have me rethinking things for sure. I really see him thriving in the slot, I like his hands in traffic. But maybe I'll move him down on my list. Personally, I like guys like Dante Pettis, Deontay Burnett, Antonio Callaway, and Jaleel Scott better. I'm just working on finding position before they are drafted. Like CBS football and Walter Football things will change dramatically as we go through combine and the draft.

 

Caught my eye with Antonio Calloway. Ill be all over him in the FA pool after the dynasty draft. He will be awesome if he stays out of trouble.  Best WR of any mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gallup is very good. Could become a Robert Woods type player. People in the rotoworld forums only like freak athletes at the WR position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2018 at 4:52 PM, boltup15 said:

Gallup is very good. Could become a Robert Woods type player. People in the rotoworld forums only like freak athletes at the WR position. 

I have mixed feelings on Gallup (The way he lines up all pigeon toed just throws me off). Regardless, I think he is going to get drafted higher in rookie drafts than I would be willing to take him. Hard to say for sure since this year's wr rankings seem more fluid than any I can remember. Roto will post a positive blurb about someone, and all of the sudden that player is number 2 or 3 on everyone's list. There's just no clear cut tiers like there normally are, so he may get drafted later than I expect.

Edited by wonderbread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...