jeffr913

Favorite Player to own and why

Trea Turner. Love opening up yahoo app and seeing how many SB’s he has for any given game. I remember last season when he got 4 in one game off Montero. Just stupid quick 

3 hours ago, wtb88 said:

Trea Turner. Love opening up yahoo app and seeing how many SB’s he has for any given game. I remember last season when he got 4 in one game off Montero. Just stupid quick 

Having a monster speed guy who helps you elsewhere is a rare joy in fantasy baseball. I had forgotten how much fun that is until I owned Trea in a league last year.

I've got a few answers for this: 

Overall- Gotta be Trout. I've had him for about 3 years now in a dynasty, and the guy is money. Especially being on the east coast, it's great to go to sleep and wake up to see a 2 homer game. With that said, it's equally as fun to watch the guy play and know he can do something spectacular at any point. 

Dark horse- Going Billy Hamilton here. Yes, he can go through stretches where he's literally unplayable, but there's also so few guys that can literally win you a category for a week. Having Billy in the lineup getting you 7 steals over two days is such a joy. 

Personal- Andrew McCutchen. He's easily my favorite athlete across any sport, and that's saying something considering I'm not even from Pittsburgh or a Pirates fan. The guy is all class, and I've owned him every season of his career. One of my favorite hobbies in redraft is letting someone draft him, suffer through his horrid April, then trading for him on May 1st to reap the summer benefits. 

23 hours ago, wtb88 said:

I will miss the heck out of that kid. Packaged him and Belly and a pick for Trout in a keeper. The kid was so much fun to own, as he could lock you up SB on a Wednesday in H2H. Sky is the limit, imo.

There's nothing greater than owning an elite 5 cat player in the middle of a hot streak. A guy who gets on base safely multiple times a game (every game) and goes something like 25/50, with 5 HRs, 7 SBs, 15 R, 20 RBI in his past 15 days of games. Their individual hot streak single handedly moves the needle forward/translates to your roto standings in a way that you can see it from day to day.

Guys like that last year that were on my teams:

Elvis Andrus, Jose Ramirez, Mookie Betts, Ryan Braun (in April). 

When 5 cat studs are on .. refreshing the days box scores is like opening up a pack of baseball cards with your fingers crossed you got something good -- and they usually deliver. 

Is it a SB today, a HR, 3 R game, a 1-1-1-1 game, 4 hit game ?? etc. etc.etc.

I still remember Mookie Betts white hot week back in July of 2017 ... he had like 20 RBI, and 8 HRs in one week of games to go along with his steady production in the other 3 categories. It was insane.

Edited by EmbargoLifted

37 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

I still remember Mookie Betts white hot week back in July of 2017 ... he had like 20 RBI, and 8 HRs in one week of games to go along with his steady production in the other 3 categories. It was insane.

I played against him in h2h that week. I'll never forget it because it was that remarkable.

I like owning Baez. He plays all over, has a fun flare for the game that make him look like he's having the time of his life (instead of Puig who just looks like he absolutely has to show-boat/show-up at every moment). I don't know how to post gif's, but if I did I'd post Baez giving the love the the catcher with a huge grin mid catch/tag on a SB attempt. Love that play.  He gives you the torment of owning a volatile player for fantasy, some real baseball love for the great defense, and can contribute in all categories when he's hot, and clearly a team player by being willing to play all over the field. 

Historically speaking, I liked owning Rusty Kuntz and Dick Pole because I am juvenile and immature 

Last year, in my league that set lineups daily, it was definitely Marwin Gonzalez.  The ability to be plugged in at any spot and know you're almost for sure getting on base w/ a counting stat.  Crazy valuable.

On 2/2/2018 at 9:29 PM, elrey said:

Prime Troy Tulowitzki was fun to own when he was healthy. I will never forget September 2010

Cost me the title as the 1-seed in the first year of my main league w friends. That little pecker dropped like 15 bombs in 2 weeks and carried a sorry team in our league to the title.  Ugh. 

But yeah, you’re right. That month was insane. 

On 2/4/2018 at 1:54 PM, EmbargoLifted said:

There's nothing greater than owning an elite 5 cat player in the middle of a hot streak.

Irrelevant to this thread on current players, but I’ll never forget the year I dropped young Rickie Weeks right before a 9 HR, 10 SB kind of month. I’m still haunted by missing out on that, and the 1st place cash it cost me.

My past favorite was probably Mark Teixeira and current guy is Nolan Arenado.  

Prime Alfonso Soriano will always be my favorite player I ever had on my fantasy teams. That power/speed combo was delicious. Current is still Joey Votto.

Trout in my dynasty because I traded what seemed like an insane amount for him and it’s completely worked out. It’s great when I look back and I own him forever. 

I love Votto too, have him in OBP, impossibly underrated there. 

I've only been a real baseball fan not fantasy baseball, in fact I had a small hiatus in baseball and got back into it last season with a gifted MLB ticket.

im a life long marlins fans since the beginning, I found last season more than exciting to watch as a real baseball fan, given realistic expectations

however, my question, how did the marlins roster fare as 'exciting players' to watch in fantasy?  that roster was so fun to watch last season

Ryan Zimmerman, 25th rnd pick in a deep league last year.  Figured he'd ride my bench, but started producing incredible stats from day 1.  He's going much earlier this year.

Corey Kluber. Owned since 2013 in a deep keeper, almost threw him back into the FA pool but decided to give him another season to see what he could do, really worked out.

Votto because he's the best around....no one's ever gonna take him down. 

And he goes a little mental 1-2 times a season.

I focus on OBP leagues too

Altuve. Always healthy, always producing at 2B.

On 2/1/2018 at 3:20 PM, 89Topps said:

I had Bryce Harper as a rookie, and it was a blast.  Just a fun guy to root for, IMO.

If you can believe, I traded him in that keeper league.  Before you kill me, I got Cliff Lee for him and Lee helped me win the title that year.  I'm living the "Flags fly forever" mantra.

I saw this and remembered my trade back in 2014 (first-year fantasy anything that year) for Harper using Cliff Lee, when Harper was on IR and slumping. Lee went down with shoulder issues like a month or two later and then I never saw his name again. Still have Harper haha. Got Rizzo and Arrieta for Kemp and Hosmer that year too. It was a good start in the fantasy world.