papaphunk

Yu Darvish 2018 Outlook

7 minutes ago, STLSU said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/yu-darvish-suffers-setback/c-283334580

Whetger it's a Triceps/Mass Flexor/Elbow (or all the above) = not right this year

Here is a hint how Maddon feels.

"It's one of those things -- you've got to work through it," Maddon said.

I don't think he is injured.  It is just soreness.  I would be willing bet most pitchers experience soreness all the time.  Darvish needs to toughen up.

• Like 1

Cubs made a HUGE mistake signing this guy. He's just not mentally (or apparently physically) tough enough to handle his job. I don't mean to be overdramatic but with what we've seen the past year and a half from this guy I wouldn't be shocked to see his career over. And I'm not talking out of the league, but we'll never see anything like what we did his first three years. He'll struggle to be a .500 pitcher with an ERA around 4.50.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, B&F said:

I don't think he is injured.  It is just soreness.  I would be willing bet most pitchers experience soreness all the time.  Darvish needs to toughen up.

Well, it's not like the Cubs are waiting in anticipation to get back his 1-3 record with a 4.95 ERA and 1.43 WHIP.

If the only problem is his toughness and he's putting up those kinds of numbers healthy, then that's even worse.

Not optimistic.   Didn't DeGrom have an elbow impingement and wasn't he shut down for the season in August?

On 6/28/2018 at 7:08 PM, BGDDYKWL said:

Cubs made a HUGE mistake signing this guy. He's just not mentally (or apparently physically) tough enough to handle his job. I don't mean to be overdramatic but with what we've seen the past year and a half from this guy I wouldn't be shocked to see his career over. And I'm not talking out of the league, but we'll never see anything like what we did his first three years. He'll struggle to be a .500 pitcher with an ERA around 4.50.

When Yu is healthy he is remarkable... 

last year he had 31 starts between the rangers & dodgers ... he was healthy. so Actually you are wrong with writing the past year and a half 

big big disappointment this year 

14 hours ago, B&F said:

Not optimistic.   Didn't DeGrom have an elbow impingement and wasn't he shut down for the season in August?

Really depends on the severity and etiology.  "Elbow impingement" isn't an exact term.  It ain't good though regardless.

FWIW ESPN lists it as "shoulder impingement" still says "if all goes well a mid July return is still possible" following the injection.  That seems absolutely ridiculous but if that blurb translates to ANY kind of trade value in your league you might want to act quick.

1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

When Yu is healthy he is remarkable... 

last year he had 31 starts between the rangers & dodgers ... he was healthy. so Actually you are wrong with writing the past year and a half 

big big disappointment this year 

He was 10-12 last year with a 21.60 ERA in the World Series. Sorry but that's not "remarkable".

1 hour ago, BGDDYKWL said:

He was 10-12 last year with a 21.60 ERA in the World Series. Sorry but that's not "remarkable".

What did he have down the stretch with L.A? 61 Ks in 49 innings with a 3.44 ERA. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ryno1980 said:

What did he have down the stretch with L.A? 61 Ks in 49 innings with a 3.44 ERA. 

Those are good numbers but it's a small sample. Ultimately he hasn't been anywhere near his first three year form, and mentally everyone would agree the WS last year really shook him. Not to mention he's clearly diminished physically as well. I'd put the chances of him regaining his peak form at about zero.

5 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Those are good numbers but it's a small sample. Ultimately he hasn't been anywhere near his first three year form, and mentally everyone would agree the WS last year really shook him. Not to mention he's clearly diminished physically as well. I'd put the chances of him regaining his peak form at about zero.

Saying the second half of the season is a small sample size then pointing to the World Series to say he’s terrible just doesn’t quite add up to me 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

Saying the second half of the season is a small sample size then pointing to the World Series to say he’s terrible just doesn’t quite add up to me 

It rattled him. He thought everyone in LA hated him, he was afraid to sign with them, he was doubting himself going into this year. He hasn't been both healthy and elite since 2013. That's FIVE years ago. I'd agree if it was just one little blip, but it's been a steady decline followed by a devastating WS that he still isn't over mentally. Guy's done. He's 2 games under .500 the last 4 years.

3 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

It rattled him. He thought everyone in LA hated him, he was afraid to sign with them, he was doubting himself going into this year. He hasn't been both healthy and elite since 2013. That's FIVE years ago. I'd agree if it was just one little blip, but it's been a steady decline followed by a devastating WS that he still isn't over mentally. Guy's done. He's 2 games under .500 the last 4 years.

Its not about winning arguments.  Not gonna say the WS had no effect on his mental makeup but to say he wouldn’t sign with them is simply incorrect. The Dodgers chose not to match the Cubs’ offer. 

Also, His 2017 total was 209 strikeouts, that’s elite starting pitching as far as I’m concerned for fantasy purposes. Sure, wasn’t at Cy Young form and may not ever be at that level again. Doesn’t mean he can’t be a steady top 20-30 pitcher.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Wow dude you must be really close to the guy to know so much about how he thinks and his state of mind, lol.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Why do some people still think that W-L records are relevant for pitchers?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, ryno1980 said:

Its not about winning arguments.  Not gonna say the WS had no effect on his mental makeup but to say he wouldn’t sign with them is simply incorrect. The Dodgers chose not to match the Cubs’ offer. 

Also, His 2017 total was 209 strikeouts, that’s elite starting pitching as far as I’m concerned for fantasy purposes. Sure, wasn’t at Cy Young form and may not ever be at that level again. Doesn’t mean he can’t be a steady top 20-30 pitcher.

I realize this is a fantasy forum, so I probably should've been more clear. I meant more in real life. I think it's possible he could be ownable in fantasy in the years ahead, but as like a 3-4 as opposed to a 2.

18 hours ago, CAT said:

Wow dude you must be really close to the guy to know so much about how he thinks and his state of mind, lol.

NBC - "Yu Darvish thinks Cubs fans hate him". Yahoo - "Darvish was afraid of how his kids would get treated in LA schools". Doesn't take a psychologist.

18 hours ago, Evincar said:

Why do some people still think that W-L records are relevant for pitchers?

Because ultimately that's all that matters. People are too concerned these days with advanced metrics. I want a guy with that bulldog mentality that will grind out wins. Not a guy who has a great K/9 but folds under pressure.

Edited by BGDDYKWL

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:31 PM, BGDDYKWL said:

NBC - "Yu Darvish thinks Cubs fans hate him". Yahoo - "Darvish was afraid of how his kids would get treated in LA schools". Doesn't take a psychologist.

Because headlines of media outlets that are desperate to generate clicks translates to absolute truth these days, right?

:rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I am so sick of this guy.

Completely appropriate to repeat this ad nauseam. (I am not being sarcastic).

9 minutes ago, herschel said:

Odds he pitches again this season?

50/50.

28 minutes ago, herschel said:

Odds he pitches again this season?

I am betting No. 

1 hour ago, Roto4500 said:

Because headlines of media outlets that are desperate to generate clicks translates to absolute truth these days, right?

:rolleyes:

And they just decided to solely pick him huh? If it's so common for news outlets to just randomly make up stories about a player's mental fragility it's pretty odd that Darvish is the only one of thousands of free agents over the years where this came up. That's some bad luck.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

And they just decided to solely pick him huh? If it's so common for news outlets to just randomly make up stories about a player's mental fragility it's pretty odd that Darvish is the only one of thousands of free agents over the years where this came up. That's some bad luck.

It’s not unreasonable to think Darvish might wear his heart on his sleeve to a greater degree than some other players, but part of it is also the translation effect. Things don’t always translate perfectly from Japanese to English and certain things can be misconstrued.

Also, to everyone name-calling and crapping on him, what do you want him to do? Rush back and then get injured again? If he doesn’t feel good enough to play he’s not going to play. [Off-topic personal attack removed.]

Edited by tonycpsu
Personal attack removed. If you have complaints about other posts, report them to us.