• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
octapuss

Garrett Richards 2018 Outlook

Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2018 at 9:13 PM, High&Inside said:

I said this in the GAMEDAY Thread. I think he is who he is at this point. Not sure there's gonna be a breakthrough. Has no control of his stuff. The stuff is exceptional. But zero command. Elevates his PC quickly by constantly going 3-2. You think with his FB he would challenge hitters when he gets ahead but he seldom does. Instead he nibbles with his breaking pitches.

Great stuff+Zero command=great k rate but at the expense of everything else.

Over his 600+ career innings in the majors he owns a 3.24 bb/9, while this season he walking at a clip of 7.2 bb/9. What are you saying that he is?

Edited by osb_tensor

21 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

Over his 600+ career innings in the majors he owns a 3.24 bb/9, while this season he walking at a clip of 7.2 bb/9. What are you saying that he is?

Allow me to refer to tonights performance. 

3 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

Pure speculation on my part but I think his poor command may be related to his elbow not being 100% right. I’m personally looking to sell after tonight’s performance but I’m not sure anyone’s interested in buying.

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

Pure speculation on my part but I think his poor command may be related to his elbow not being 100% right. I’m personally looking to sell after tonight’s performance but I’m not sure anyone’s interested in buying.

That is literally a guess. It’s early in the year and his control could be this poor cause well it’s just that. Saying it’s an elbow issue is just irresponsible. 

1 minute ago, chud12 said:

That is literally a guess. It’s early in the year and his control could be this poor cause well it’s just that. Saying it’s an elbow issue is just irresponsible. 

That is why I prefaced it with “pure speculation on my part.” The fact remains he had a tear in his elbow and didn’t have surgery. We don’t have enough cases to support the effectiveness of stem cell treatments on ligament tears in pitcher’s elbows.

2 minutes ago, meh2 said:

That is why I prefaced it with “pure speculation on my part.” The fact remains he had a tear in his elbow and didn’t have surgery. We don’t have enough cases to support the effectiveness of stem cell treatments on ligament tears in pitcher’s elbows.

Well I hope your speculation is wrong lol 

Just now, chud12 said:

Well I hope your speculation is wrong lol 

I do too. I own him in 3 leagues but if I can get decent value for him now I’m not going to hesitate.

49 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

Eh.. tonight's show doesnt really line up with your narrative. 73 pitches over 5ip is not high. His walk rate on the season went down after tonight's performance, and his whip was less than 1.0. 

I don't own him anywhere and never have.. you said "at this point he is who he is." I'm just curious about what that is.. looking at his career numbers, I'm intrigued. I would gladly take one hit performances over five innings with a strikeout per inning.

4 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

Eh.. tonight's show doesnt really line up with your narrative. 73 pitches over 5ip is not high. His walk rate on the season went down after tonight's performance, and his whip was less than 1.0. 

I don't own him anywhere and never have.. you said "at this point he is who he is." I'm just curious about what that is.. looking at his career numbers, I'm intrigued. I would gladly take one hit performances over five innings with a strikeout per inning.

I think the issue is that despite the low pitch count the wheels blew off again in the 5th inning.  To the point where simply getting the ball to the catcher was a major problem.  I'm not sure if it is physical or mental, but I hope for the best (I don't have many options).

11 minutes ago, slowride said:

I think the issue is that despite the low pitch count the wheels blew off again in the 5th inning.  To the point where simply getting the ball to the catcher was a major problem.  I'm not sure if it is physical or mental, but I hope for the best (I don't have many options).

Also started raining in 5th inning and he was in dugout a long time on top of 5th as the Angels had a big inning

29 minutes ago, slowride said:

THIS. Essentially what I was getting at with the statement "he is who he is". Which is guy with great stuff but zero command. I have watched everyone of his starts this year, not all of which were in poor weather like tonight, and his command has evaporated in every start. That's not saying that the command was there completely in the beginning of his other starts. Hell, he threw a FB to the back stop tonight a good few ft above his catcher. 

I'm just saying I don't believe there's a next level coming for him. He'll be a guy who gets Ks, and depending how bad his command is any given night he'll probably torch your ratios. Don't think there's ever going to be consistency from him is all.

We feeling okay about starting him tonight vs. Yanks?  I’m a bit nervous myself.

Just brutal, i know its the Yanks but he's been a mess more often than not this year

Shoulda benched him. Didnt spend much time thinking abt the lineup. My own fault. At least not every run was earned...

Posted (edited)

Not to make excuses this start sucked.  But his first inning was a comedy of errors.  Caused 4 unearned runs, about 25+ extra pitches.  Ruined the whole start.  Errors can cause stress pitches, re-turn lineup quicker than it should etc. Thst first inning was a totally mess.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think I’m done with this dude like everyone else I drafted for pitching. 

This guy is still one of the few non-ace pitchers that I am not scared about the quality of the opposing offence he's facing, because he is his own worst enemy. He can limit hard contact, get whiffs and keep the ball in the park like not many other pitchers when he's on.

Today showed exactly the downside of Richards, when a few strike calls didn't go his way and the error fked up the 1st inning, he was done.

Posted (edited)

When healthy he can shut down any team, but he is inconsistent and can be a frustrating own...

I have not charted his pitches and velocities this year but looking at last night:

-FB and sinking FB sat 94-96, which seems a bit down for him?? Also below 48% strikes, yuck

-SL averaged 89 and was his off-speed of choice and got it for a strike 50% of time

-Only tossed 3 CU at around 80 MPH

Not a ton to really conclude from data, other than he had off command and prob needs the CU a lot more often to keep hitters from sitting on the hard stuff-

Edited by ST. STEVEN

At home vs a lousy bal team. Gotta start right? No faith in him at all. I stupidly started him vs nyy without much thought...  Had i thought thing thru would likely have sat hom vs a patient and red hot team.

38 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

At home vs a lousy bal team. Gotta start right? No faith in him at all. I stupidly started him vs nyy without much thought...  Had i thought thing thru would likely have sat hom vs a patient and red hot team.

Looks like Barria is getting the call for tomorrow's start v BAL pushing Richards to @sea on the 4th

Oh? Any word on why?

Sounds a little suspicious given his injury history... actually not leaning toward benching @SEA.

Just extra rest. They will baby him all year.

1 hour ago, PPolanco said:

Just extra rest. They will baby him all year.

Exactly. He's missed most of the last 2 years. Nothing to worry about as far as them pushing his start back.

13 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

Exactly. He's missed most of the last 2 years. Nothing to worry about as far as them pushing his start back.

Yeah the whole damn rotation is under constant injury watch...

Which stinks because this is quite a good team, esp defensively.