Sign in to follow this  
Cdub2k

Lewis Brinson 2018 Outlook

31 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I assume he’s fine - not a concerning injury being hit in the arm with a thrown ball.

yup.

Brinson said that he was struck on the helmet flap with the ball while sliding into third base but that he will be "just fine," Matthew DeFranks of the South Florida Sun Sentinel reports.

Brinson exited Thursday's contest after being hit on a relay throw during his triple. It doesn't appear as though Brinson or the team is too concerned about his status, and that he was removed from the game for precautionary purposes. Expect to see him back in the lineup Friday or Saturday.

Man this guy has a mariana trench level floor but I still picked him up as a 6th OF to bench/stash. I don't know what to think with how atrocious his K rate has been in his most recent AAA showing and stint with the brewers. We have to go back awhile now to like 2016 when he was doing well against AAA pitching. The fact that two teams have traded him, the Rangers and now the Brewers, makes me feel like some orgs don't believe in him. That could be total cynical trash but he is on my bench for now regardless

Heck yeah. I'll keep him on my bench and see what happens, as he is a legit ROY candidate.

14 hours ago, loro1991 said:

Man this guy has a mariana trench level floor but I still picked him up as a 6th OF to bench/stash. I don't know what to think with how atrocious his K rate has been in his most recent AAA showing and stint with the brewers. We have to go back awhile now to like 2016 when he was doing well against AAA pitching. The fact that two teams have traded him, the Rangers and now the Brewers, makes me feel like some orgs don't believe in him. That could be total cynical trash but he is on my bench for now regardless

I'm really not quite sure what you are talking about. Brinson only struck out at an 18% clip last year in AAA and hit .330.

Yeah he had a rough debut with a 30% K rate but that probably would have stabilized with more reps. He also suffered from a .107 BABIP while having 92mph exit velocity one of the highest readings in the league when he was up.

He had 13% soft 53% medium and 33% hard contact rates. Warning this came with a lot of grounders.

People are writing him off because of a bad 55PA in his MLB debut. Which wasn't as bad as it looks on the surface. Buy his upside at a massive discount compared to other top prospects.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 1

I plan on adding him as a back up once DL moves are made.  Low risk high high reward. 

I agree with giving Brinson more time to prove himself. Alas I had to drop him to pick up Kingery though.

On 3/27/2018 at 12:02 PM, Arrowflinger said:

I remember a guy named Judge having a bad MLB debut too. Give him some more time before writing him off

That Trout guy too (i know this was when he was 19 though). Patience is so important here. Brinson still has plenty of time to prove himself. 

Plugging him in today because of the PPD's.  Lets hope for a good day!

• Like 2

Yeah! Leadoff! 

Lets go Brinson! Show all these Acuna/Kingery knob-gob’s you’re the real top prospect with the better pedigree. 

• Haha 2

Didnt like what I saw today.  4 groundball outs, all of them weak contact. 

• Haha 1

Just now, jdbob11 said:

Didnt like what I saw today.  4 groundball outs, all of them weak contact. 

He's a rookie with contact issues.  I'd rather he's hitting weak grounders than King from an eval standpoint.  He has monster power and its already shown up at the MLB level.  Patience.

His first At Bat he had nice contact too. Russell just made a really nice play. 

On 3/27/2018 at 12:02 PM, Arrowflinger said:

I remember a guy named Judge having a bad MLB debut too. Give him some more time before writing him off

Yea what a bad debut HR in his first AB.

Pretty good night for Brinson. Much more promising then the opening day.

I see Brinson as an athletic baseball talent. He has the skills and body size to grow into a top 100 talent in MLB. Give this kid some time and I think he's going to be really good. I expect some ups and downs because he's young, but if you can hang with him through the learning years then I see a big payoff in the future. Right now I'm platooning him in CF on my keeper team and I definitely think he has the talent to be one of my 14 keepers next year.

16 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Any silver lining on Brinson? Has been brutal so far. 

And xStats has him down for a .233 AVG so he hasn't really been that "unlucky". Striking out a lot and not walking much either. 7 hits, all singles. Silver lining is he has a decent amount of leash but he's been dropped in the batting order already. What comes next if he doesn't hit? It's early but he's a tough hold.

23 minutes ago, lassetjus said:

And xStats has him down for a .233 AVG so he hasn't really been that "unlucky". Striking out a lot and not walking much either. 7 hits, all singles. Silver lining is he has a decent amount of leash but he's been dropped in the batting order already. What comes next if he doesn't hit? It's early but he's a tough hold.

I think the Marlins will keep him in there until at least late May/June if he is hitting around .200 still. His defense can keep him up too.  Maybin can play CF, but Cooper is on DL. They could eventually throw Sierra there I guess, but he does not have anywhere near the upside Brinson has. 

EDIT: I also might be a bit hypocritical in saying this since I dropped him in 2 redrafts but still own him in a dynasty type league. 

Edited by klove42

3 hours ago, klove42 said:

I think the Marlins will keep him in there until at least late May/June if he is hitting around .200 still. His defense can keep him up too.  Maybin can play CF, but Cooper is on DL. They could eventually throw Sierra there I guess, but he does not have anywhere near the upside Brinson has. 

EDIT: I also might be a bit hypocritical in saying this since I dropped him in 2 redrafts but still own him in a dynasty type league. 

I’m in same boat.  Hanging tight in dynasty.  He’ll be on my team all year.  I cut in redraft though.  That team sucks, counting stats will be hard to come by.  Going to take him some time to get acclimated with mlb pitching.  

His only real value right now is in Dynasty leagues and deep keeper leagues. He’s worth holding onto for the future, but for 2018 stats it’s best to look elsewhere right now.

6 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I’m in same boat.  Hanging tight in dynasty.  He’ll be on my team all year.  I cut in redraft though.  That team sucks, counting stats will be hard to come by.  Going to take him some time to get acclimated with mlb pitching.  

Saw him in ST this year and you can see the talent is there, but like you said 2018 probably isn't going to be a breakout year for him in terms of fantasy/stats. I could see his athleticism/defense having some sort of impact for the Marlins this year though. I dont really see many people in the Marlins organisation who will push him out of PT any time soon. Even after all of those trades.... the Farm System still isnt good. I honestly feel bad for the very few Marlins fans that exist. 

• Like 1

47 plate appearances last year 

47 plate appearances this year 

through nearly 100 he’s a .120 hitter.  Give us a reason to believe kid. 

• Like 2