DoTheRoar

Joey Votto 2018 Outlook

5 hours ago, ZChronicNebula said:

Ungrateful sons of a gun

Joey's gonna hit a dong every day for the rest of the season 

He might even hit some homeruns too!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Peraza's OBP is a putrid .290.  One off examples of him beating out a double play (where he essentially just replaced himself at 1B, no?) don't dispute that.

Peraza has a career .311 OBP, take away Cozy’s HR from his OBP last year (career .304 OBP by the way) and he was on base for Joey maybe .330? Peraza has speed and won’t drive in runs. I’m not saying that Peraza is a better offensive player, I’m saying Cozart’s power batting in the 2 spot actually hurts Votto’s fantasy numbers.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, BleedRedsRed said:

Peraza has a career .311 OBP, take away Cozy’s HR from his OBP last year (career .304 OBP by the way) and he was on base for Joey maybe .330? Peraza has speed and won’t drive in runs. I’m not saying that Peraza is a better offensive player, I’m saying Cozart’s power batting in the 2 spot actually hurts Votto’s fantasy numbers.

I just...can't.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, BleedRedsRed said:

Even if you want to somehow suggest Perazas .290 OBP is better than Cozarts adjusted .330, you're ignoring that Cozart had 31 extra base hits that weren't HRs.  You're also ignoring his .297 average inevitably moved baserunners into scoring position.

4 hours ago, BleedRedsRed said:

This is all totally wrong.

Having more power than an inferior hitter absolutely does NOT make the inferior hitter a better candidate for the #2 spot. Thats faulty logic.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cs3 said:

This is all totally wrong.

Having more power than an inferior hitter absolutely does NOT make the inferior hitter a better candidate for the #2 spot. Thats faulty logic.

I think people are overrating Cozart’s improved plate discipline over an absolute career year though... he is a better hitter than Peraza but I just think his 2017 OBP is eschewing how this is being looked at. I don’t think it’s faulty logic to say that stacking up slightly inferior OBP small ball players in front of a slugger is better for that particular players fantasy stats. This isn’t about what is best for the Reds, it’s all about how Joey’s counting stats work in relation to lineup construction.

3 hours ago, BleedRedsRed said:

I think people are overrating Cozart’s improved plate discipline over an absolute career year though... he is a better hitter than Peraza but I just think his 2017 OBP is eschewing how this is being looked at. I don’t think it’s faulty logic to say that stacking up slightly inferior OBP small ball players in front of a slugger is better for that particular players fantasy stats. This isn’t about what is best for the Reds, it’s all about how Joey’s counting stats work in relation to lineup construction.

Wasn't the conversation about how this year's lineup compared to last?

7 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Wasn't the conversation about how this year's lineup compared to last?

Well, I'm only talking about Votto's table setters and to be honest I think he is better off with Hamilton(9)/Winker/Peraza than Pitcher/Hamilton/Cozart. Yeah this years #2 hitter has not been playing way over his head like last years, but the comparison of the two specific players is what I am getting at. Joey Votto's fantasy numbers are not really suffering all that much for not resigning Cozy and plugging in Peraza.

Yeah the lineup isn't performing well so far but I don't think Joey's fantasy stats are going to be damaged at all this year by the relatively weak 6/7/8 guys in the order.

We'll see, but now that Suarez is back they will hopefully just plug him in to that #2 spot and good things will happen.

I feel like Votto actually does monitor this thread.  Since we've been arguing about his supporting cast:

he hit a fat dong

then hit a fat two-run dong

then hit a fat three-run dong

It's like he's subtly trying to tell us something.  Grand slam tonight?  He could do it, you know, just because.

Just now, I Miss Matt Cain said:

I feel like Votto actually does monitor this thread.  Since we've been arguing about his supporting cast:

he hit a fat dong

It's like he's subtly trying to tell us something.  Grand slam tonight?  He could do it, you know, just because.

Well, as someone facing Votto this week, I'll say this Reds lineup rivals The Big Red Machine and Votto looks like the second coming of Lou Gehrig.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, I Miss Matt Cain said:

he hit a fat dong

What about Saturday then?He better have a 5 run homer or I'm going to cut him.

1 minute ago, the real donny baseball said:

It's almost May and he hasn't done it yet.What a disappoint.I never should have trusted this guy.

This is the type of thread talk that motivates him.  I salute you sir and together we shall ride the Votto-can-do-anything-in-the-world train to glory.

7 minutes ago, the real donny baseball said:

What about Saturday then?He better have a 5 run homer or I'm going to cut him.

Sunday he's gonna go 4-3 with a 5 run HR and one assist short of a triple double.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, I Miss Matt Cain said:

This is the type of thread talk that motivates him.  I salute you sir and together we shall ride the Votto-can-do-anything-in-the-world train to glory.

I'm just worried he's going to retire early in order to cure cancer or create World peace or something.

I'm also worried that he's been working behind the scenes to fix global warming in his spare time.That would explain the crappy early weather and Stanton's problems.God Bless you for seeing the big picture Joey.

En Votto Veritas

• Like 1

He will hit a grand slam tomorrow in the first inning while batting third.

Then he will leave the ballpark and fly to Miami, making it in time to start.

He will gear up as a Marlin and the Phillies will see this and refuse to play.

So he will gear up as a Philly as well and the Marlins will refuse to play.

It will be the greatest game ever played and will end in a week because they ran out of baseballs.

En Votto Veritas.

Edited by I Miss Matt Cain

17 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Sunday he's gonna go 4-3 with a 5 run HR and one assist short of a triple double.

Why couldn't he get that one assist? Bum...

18 minutes ago, Mickey Donovan said:

Why couldn't he get that one assist? Bum...

He's gotta save something for next week.  I'm projecting 2 triple doubles and a Nobel Prize.

42 minutes ago, the real donny baseball said:

Saves?He's gonna get saves too? Geez,and I needed Holds.This guy sucks.

I'd say Iglesias is probably one baserunner away from losing the closer gig to Joey.

Afterall, Votto IS player manager and, I believe, acting GM.

Pete Rose pretends to be Joey Votto when he plays ball in his backyard