DoTheRoar

Joey Votto 2018 Outlook

8 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

id be lying if i said i wasnt nervous as a votto keeper owner.  thought i had this year and maybe 2 more years left of him...

First year Votto owner, probably last year Votto owner.  Love him as a player, one of my favorites.  Father time is a real thing however.

#4 1B in my league if it werent for Carpenters insane streak he would be #3

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DemOrioles said:

First year Votto owner, probably last year Votto owner.  Love him as a player, one of my favorites.  Father time is a real thing however.

Little known fact: most baseball players reverently refer to Votto himself as Father Time.  Like a fabric that everything requires to function and exist, Votto is always present and yet absent.

• Like 2

I'm a big Votto fan but one thing that's beginning to bother me is some of his personality/antics. The sarcastic, almost child-like humor he puts on at times can be fun when he's mashing but when he's not he creates an image of a guy who isn't focused. I'm hoping to see Joey regain form because right now he's been nothing but a disappointment.

Not to mention, he has zero pressure, 2 teammates in Suarez and Scooter who are absolutely mashing before and after him in the line up. Zero excuse.

Edited by peelpub94

1 minute ago, peelpub94 said:

I'm a big Votto fan but one thing that's beginning to bother me is some of his personality/antics. The sarcastic, almost child-like humor he puts on at times can be fun when he's mashing but when he's not he creates an image of a guy who isn't focused. I'm hoping to see Joey regain form because right now he's been nothing but a disappointment.

Not to mention, he has zero pressure, 2 teammates in Suarez and Scooter who are absolutely mashing before and after him in the line up. Zero excuse.

Really? Harp on his play all you want, but one thing that is great about Votto is his personality. He always takes the time to interview, and normally provides great insight to the game. Just recently he was voted by the players as the "most friendly person to chat with at first base". The MLB needs more players like Joey, not less.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for taking what I said completely out of context. I think you need to re-read my post. I-am-a-big-Votto-fan. I said his antics are starting to create an image of someone who isn't focused when he's having a pretty rough season. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, peelpub94 said:

Thanks for taking what I said completely out of context. I think you need to re-read my post. I-am-a-big-Votto-fan. I said his antics are starting to create an image of someone who isn't focused when he's having a pretty rough season. 

You stated that his personalilty/antics bother you. I just found that odd.

If what you are concerned with is his percieved image as childish(??), then nevermind. That's a pointless argument. If YOU think he's unfocused or childish, just remember this guy was once a bad high school player. He doesn't take this for granted, and he certainly works hard.

Your acting like if he toned down his personality we would all be more understanding of his slightly down first half. 

• Like 1

He's having a down year in terms of power, that's it. Votto isn't a power hitter though so it shouldn't be that disappointing. August is historically is his best month and two years ago that is when nobody could get him out when he went on that ridiculous stretch. I think we see that again. He had the same average (.281) on this date two years ago. It will be interesting to see how many homers he finishes with though.   

2 hours ago, peelpub94 said:

Thanks for taking what I said completely out of context. I think you need to re-read my post. I-am-a-big-Votto-fan. I said his antics are starting to create an image of someone who isn't focused when he's having a pretty rough season

Current stats:

360 AB: 58 R, 102 H, 21 2B, 9 HR, 50 RBI, 79 BB, 68 K, .283 AVG, .419 OBP, .428 SLG

This is rough in the same way Votto is rough on opposing pitchers, by being so f-in good at baseball.  Dude is walking more than he strikes out, was an All-Star, and we just learned that when two black holes collide they create a brand new Joey Votto in another dimension.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2018 at 7:51 AM, fletch44 said:

Everybody gets old.

Nelson Cruz doesn't 

4 hours ago, hgh22 said:

Dude is 18th at 1b in my OPS 5x5 cats league. 

Joey Votto sucks.

I have heard that Votto actually invented the vacuum cleaner. He got tired of all the mess left by children who couldn't see beyond a day, or a week, or a month and thought: I'll help all those who cannot help themselves.  

• Like 2

Votto has always been more valuable in points leagues. In my league, he's the #5 1B and the 27th best overall hitter. With that said, this has definitely been a disappointing season. 

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers

I was wondering why am I down so bad in runs and rbis this week... and then I looked at this guys numbers. Better real-life hitter than fantasy option at this point.

4 hours ago, supac720 said:

I was wondering why am I down so bad in runs and rbis this week... and then I looked at this guys numbers. Better real-life hitter than fantasy option at this point.

I'm about to stop starting him.  He's providing nothing but a little help in batting average.  Never thought I'd be drafting Joey Votto and have him end up a bench bat for off days.

125th in my AVG league.

78th in my OBP league.

I don't know what else you want but it's a down year for Joey. He's not focused.

Knowing him though he'll be the best player in September and wind up in the top 40 some how.

Edited by peelpub94
  • Like 1

Zero RBIs Zero Runs scored, Week 19. You can shake it, bake it, cut it, however you like. The numbers are the numbers. Thank you very much for a HOF career, but Votto has seen better days. I have a Votto team owner, he’s out of the playoffs, looking for fifty cents on the dollar and can’t even give him away. 

3 hours ago, Chickie said:

Zero RBIs Zero Runs scored, Week 19. You can shake it, bake it, cut it, however you like. The numbers are the numbers. Thank you very much for a HOF career, but Votto has seen better days. I have a Votto team owner, he’s out of the playoffs, looking for fifty cents on the dollar and can’t even give him away. 

You should probably buy Votto for fifty cents on the dollar before this post comes back to haunt you.

Solid 40% Hard contact rate, 8% soft contract rate (leads majors in lowest rate). Only 9.5 HR/FB rate (half of career rate) part of story, which argues to some bad HR luck. Also contributing to HR decrease is hitting more LD than FBs this year, but everything else is in line. Same walk rate, same K rate. I don't really see skills regression.  I'm buying for sure if someone is selling cheap. Buy long term track record and underlying stats, not short term production volatility. 

• Like 2

On 8/6/2018 at 11:44 AM, bluefrogguy said:

Solid 40% Hard contact rate, 8% soft contract rate (leads majors in lowest rate). Only 9.5 HR/FB rate (half of career rate) part of story, which argues to some bad HR luck. Also contributing to HR decrease is hitting more LD than FBs this year, but everything else is in line. Same walk rate, same K rate. I don't really see skills regression.  I'm buying for sure if someone is selling cheap. Buy long term track record and underlying stats, not short term production volatility. 

I hear you but the calendar has now turned to mid August and we’re talking about a guy that doesn’t even have double digit HR’s and is sitting on a .289 BA. Votto has always been a star but this is a lost season folks. In my 10 team H2H league those numbers are trash and he would of been dropped months ago if his name weren’t Joey Votto.  As a previous posted stated Father Time has caught up with him and we all need to come to that realization. Yahoo needs to remove Votto from their can’t cut list already. Like most I’ve held out long enough waiting this clown to come around.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Jesus, I've kinda not paid close attention to the one league I didn't trade Votto in.

Then I saw this stat today, last 40 games - 1 HR and .357 SLG

Yikes

Joey Descalso

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

He's droppable in 10-teams or less unless you play in an OBP league.

Sorry, but that's the facts.  We all love Joey Votto the player, but his top notch fantasy days are over.  I'd rather own Josh Bell, Zimmerman, or Belt ROS as replacements.

• Sad 1