DoTheRoar

Joey Votto 2018 Outlook

46 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

We all love Joey Votto the player, but his top notch fantasy days are over.  

This is a pretty dramatic assessment. I think it's a pretty big assumption that the calendar turning over is the cause of a 150 point slugging drop. He's having a bad year and all the reasons for it may not be known. There have been plenty of guys who play through nagging injuries and have bad years. There is definitely something not right with 2018 Joey but I still wouldn't bet against 2019 JV. 

Why on earth doesn’t Votto or the Reds be responsible enough to just sit the guy down for a 10 day DL stint? He clearly isn’t healthy regardless of him saying he’s fine. He isn’t helping his team in any fashion and is a mere shell of himself. It’s literally embarrassing.

The fact that he’s on the can’t cut list on Yahoo! is a complete joke, he’s very much droppable in a lot of leagues.

He’s Adam Eaton with more walks. No homers, no speed, no counting stats. REALLY wish he’d use more of the bat and start hitting pitches further and higher. There is no one in the history of baseball that consistently chokes up their bat to the extent that Votto does. 

Infuriating.

16 minutes ago, cad300 said:

He's clearly not healthy, either, which is not helping anything at this point

Yeah, I love how everyone is losing their minds over the Urena/Acuna thing but no one shrugged when Madson threw a 94mph heater at Votto's knee. One serious injury could forever sink the possibility of JV getting to the hall. As a Reds fan and Votto dynasty owner this is really rough to watch. I've always thought Todd Helton was a great comp to Votto and now sadly it looks like the nagging injury breakdown is mirroring Helton's as well.

Just now, BleedRedsRed said:

Yeah, I love how everyone is losing their minds over the Urena/Acuna thing but no one shrugged when Madson threw a 94mph heater at Votto's knee. One serious injury could forever sink the possibility of JV getting to the hall. As a Reds fan and Votto dynasty owner this is really rough to watch. I've always thought Todd Helton was a great comp to Votto and now sadly it looks like the nagging injury breakdown is mirroring Helton's as well.

Wasn't this a "response" to the Reds hitting Harper? If hitting Harper was not intentional then I don't agree with going after Votto. 

2 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Wasn't this a "response" to the Reds hitting Harper? If hitting Harper was not intentional then I don't agree with going after Votto. 

Harper was hit by an 82 mph curveball... So, pretty much no way in hell.

9 hours ago, roscobangs said:

He’s Adam Eaton with more walks. No homers, no speed, no counting stats. REALLY wish he’d use more of the bat and start hitting pitches further and higher. There is no one in the history of baseball that consistently chokes up their bat to the extent that Votto does. 

Infuriating.

He's always choked up on the bat a lot and it's never stopped him from being a great all around hitter. He's either injured, over the hill, or having an insanely unlucky season. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

He's always choked up on the bat a lot and it's never stopped him from being a great all around hitter. He's either injured, over the hill, or having an insanely unlucky season. 

I get that. It's just not working anymore. He has 35 XBH, which is tied with Jackie Bradley Jr. and Ryon Healy. Oh, and he's played 10 or more games than both of them. 

Just saying, I'd trade a pop-out here and there for a double or a home run. 

(His record for essentially never popping out is incredible, but all outs look the same on the score sheet)

2 hours ago, BleedRedsRed said:

Harper was hit by an 82 mph curveball... So, pretty much no way in hell.

Ok, I did not know. So did they go after Votto because of THAT? Pretty classless and shows them as hypocrites on some level. 

He hasn't even contributed a run scored since July 24, over three weeks. Good lord. Even if his power sinks you figure you're at least getting AVG and runs from him, and even that's not happening. I've rarely been so tempted to flat-out drop a second round pick.

• Confused 1

Just now, DemOrioles said:

That’s a drop for me.  He was barely doing anything when healthy.  Don’t have the DL spots.

Neither do I, but he's on the can't cut list on Yahoo :D 

JOKE

16 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

That’s a drop for me.  He was barely doing anything when healthy.  Don’t have the DL spots.

That’s a can't do in yahoo

Even though he might be back by September, I'm so tempted to drop. I think the name and where I drafted him are honestly the only reasons for hesitation.

Tough break for Votto owners.  Have to find a James Loney type player on the wire to maintain Votto's production.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Tough break for Votto owners.  Have to find a James Loney type player on the wire to maintain Votto's production.  

Tyler White, you'll never even miss Votto :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

2 hours ago, GC Tacos said:

Tyler White, you'll never even miss Votto :lol:

Look you guys and your fancy pants replacements!

I was happy to replace him with Scott Hatteberg myself

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Look you guys and your fancy pants replacements!

I was happy to replace him with Scott Hatteberg myself

What I really want to know is if we’ll ever be so lucky to see another Dave Magadan. The ultimate high BB low K slow man. That dude  was such an awesome player he got specifically featured in Little Big League right alongside Randy and Jr.

This guy back tomorrow as expected or not?  I miss Votto after looking at Hosmer the past few days.  I miss my walks

Not today, maybe not even Tuesday according to the new Rotoworld drop. Starting to wonder if he's a flat-out drop in redrafts if you have someone hot on the wire that looks interesting.