Flyman75

Blake Snell 2018 Outlook

5 minutes ago, juice219 said:

I’m really starting to fear the Rays shut him down at some point. 

I'm not worried about that unless he has a setback.  Innings wise he is good to go and this will actually help keep him go later in the season.  

Eh hindsight is 20/20 and all that but this is why he was a "sell" in redrafts at the deadline IMO. They're a team with nothing to play for and a young controllable Ace coming off injury. I like him about as much as any pitcher out there talent wise but if you need help for the final few weeks or playoffs you're better off with a great vet than an elite newbie. 

• Like 1

Do you think the Rays are trying to suppress Snell’s stats in hopes of decreasing his value for arbitration after next year? For a cheap franchise, this could be a brilliant move. The worst thing that could happen would be for Snell to accidentally win AL Cy Young. 

1 minute ago, GC Tacos said:

Do you think the Rays are trying to suppress Snell’s stats in hopes of decreasing his value for arbitration after next year? For a cheap franchise, this could be a brilliant move. The worst thing that could happen would be for Snell to accidentally win AL Cy Young. 

Doubt it, the sample size is already large enough to show he's elite.

2 minutes ago, GC Tacos said:

Interesting thought - but do you honestly think he has or had a shot at beating out Sale?

18 minutes ago, GC Tacos said:

I think the whole "suppress arbitration" talk is a myth.  What are they going to do? Let him throw 70 pitches a game for a year? Think of the optics for that. A cy young award winner might actually get a few people out to the games. Like someone said though,Sale would have to pitch backwards for the rest of the year to not win.

• Like 1

101 pitches after 6 innings, safe to say his day is done. 11 k, a QS and in line for the win. As Ice Cube would say, today was a good day.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2018 at 3:17 PM, juice219 said:

I’m really starting to fear the Rays shut him down at some point. 

he threw 130 innings last year and is currently at 140 ish.  teams usually allow an increase of 50 innings...right?

so that means they will probably let him go 170-180...which gives him another 30-40ip....which is 5-7 starts

If Snell keeps pitching like this and makes 7 or 8 IP then he should be AL CY Young. Especially with Sale on the DL for awhile. 

On 8/21/2018 at 10:38 PM, mehtavg2000 said:

This guy is such a damn beast. [Removed Cool Story] 

AMEN. 

Snell was very impressive again, but remember this was a practice game against what really is an AAA lineup. But last time out he sliced up the Yankees so it doesn't seem to matter with him. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1

Where do you guys see Snell being drafted next year? I have him in a QS keeper league. I reached a couple of rounds hoping he'd take a step, but this has been ridiculous.

9 minutes ago, guzman24 said:

Where do you guys see Snell being drafted next year? I have him in a QS keeper league. I reached a couple of rounds hoping he'd take a step, but this has been ridiculous.

Third round seems about right.

6 hours ago, guzman24 said:

Yeah, I "reached" at pick 156 (same league setup). I fully expect him to be a top 40 pick next year. 

So...when does this guy start getting the love he deserves? Top 10 SP,  maybe even in the 7-9 range.

6 hours ago, Jyeatbvg said:

So...when does this guy start getting the love he deserves? Top 10 SP,  maybe even in the 7-9 range.

Awful team context though. Bullpen should cost him runs,offense should cost him wins.  The breakout appears real,but itll be tough to get him at a profit next year.  

1 hour ago, whyamiajetfan said:

top 10 SP this year for sure... can almost argue top 6/7 as well now

#2 in AL probably.  I take that back, he should be the AL CY Young favorite now.  Who knows when Sale is coming back?   

Who tops him in NL?  deGrom, Nola, and Scherzer that’s it.   He’s definitely top 5 this year, probably 4.    

If fact, he and Nola have equivalent stats.  Nola pitches in the NL, so he has more K’s and a better WHIP.  If not for the Yankees, Snell would have a deGrom type ERA

Edited by Ratso1022

2 hours ago, Ratso1022 said:

#2 in AL probably.  I take that back, he should be the AL CY Young favorite now.  Who knows when Sale is coming back?   

Who tops him in NL?  deGrom, Nola, and Scherzer that’s it.   He’s definitely top 5 this year, probably 4.    

If fact, he and Nola have equivalent stats.  Nola pitches in the NL, so he has more K’s and a better WHIP.  If not for the Yankees, Snell would have a deGrom type ERA

Just for discussion sakes. Im wondering if he goes ahead of kershaw next year in adp. I imagine theyll be close.

Snell is amazing. He did not have his good stuff to start yesterday, but zeroed in his command and blew away a good Cleveland lineup the rest of the way. He is now just like any other super star pitcher (max, deg, sale), if you have a chance to get him, you better do it.