Flyman75

Blake Snell 2018 Outlook

His thread won't be very many pages next season.  There really won't be anything to discuss.  ACE.

3 minutes ago, svtballa said:

This guy is amazing.   Im really curios how hes treated next year.  Top 10? top 6?

Considering his age I would put him #1 pitcher.  Even ahead of Sale considering he always seems to break down second half.

Edited by B&F
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

So Cy Young is basically a lock?

No.  Just because you have the best stats doesn't necessarily mean you will be chosen.  Also, it's still going to be very hard to beat out Verlander.

Do I think Snell deserves it if the season ended today?  Probably, but I still don't think it's basically a lock either.  It's likely between Verlander, Snell, and Kluber.  My pick would be Snell, but I still think there's a real chance they pick Verlander instead.

In the end, it doesn't matter a whole lot.  He's still one of the top SP in fantasy baseball regardless and should be considered that in next year's drafts as well.

• Like 1

Just now, KilloWertz said:

No.  Just because you have the best stats doesn't necessarily mean you will be chosen.  Also, it's still going to be very hard to beat out Verlander.

Do I think Snell deserves it if the season ended today?  Probably, but I still don't think it's basically a lock either.  It's likely between Verlander, Snell, and Kluber.  My pick would be Snell, but I still think there's a real chance they pick Verlander instead.

In the end, it doesn't matter a whole lot.  He's still one of the top SP in fantasy baseball regardless and should be considered that in next year's drafts as well.

also thinking they pic verlander

4 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

also thinking they pic verlander

Yeah, but something funny I thought of after I made that post.  He wasn't even picked for the AL All-Star team (ended up being a replacement), but then he goes and wins the AL Cy Young Award.

Edited by KilloWertz

I feel like Verlander should of won it over Porcello a couple of years ago, but I think Snell based on stats should edge him out. He's got all the stats, lots of ks, lower ERA and the wins (which is an overrated stat for pitchers).

15 hours ago, Picard56 said:

I feel like Verlander should of won it over Porcello a couple of years ago, but I think Snell based on stats should edge him out. He's got all the stats, lots of ks, lower ERA and the wins (which is an overrated stat for pitchers).

IMO, IP and ERA matter the most, then wins are a close third.  Losses, K’s and WHIP, sometimes saves, after that. Wins show that you have pitched well enough into games to give your team a chance to win.  I hate that people say they are overrated.  Sure there is some luck, but hardly to the point of getting 20 wins. 

having said all that.  My order is:

Snell, Verlander, Sale, Treinen, Kluber, Diaz

1 hour ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Anybody know when Snell next start is ? tomorrow would be his regular rotation day but im not seeing him listed anywhere ..

OnRoto says Tuesday 09.18  vs. Gallardo and Rangers.  Usually reliable.

Edited by B&F
  • Like 1

Any idea if we'll get a 2 start week ? 

If he goes Mon or TUE he should be in line to against TOR ? 

Two starts from Snell this week would be huger as my playoffs start. I could see TB give him an extra day of rest too though, have some RP start one of those TOR games and push his next start back who knows. 

26 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Any idea if we'll get a 2 start week ? 

If he goes Mon or TUE he should be in line to against TOR ? 

Two starts from Snell this week would be huger as my playoffs start. I could see TB give him an extra day of rest too though, have some RP start one of those TOR games and push his next start back who knows. 

TB is relying on their BP too much, PLUS they're still on the fringe of the second WC. I'm guessing a 2 start week.

• Like 1

best pitcher in baseball?

are you taking him ahead of sale and madmax next year?

5 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

best pitcher in baseball?

are you taking him ahead of sale and madmax next year?

No, but he's definitely in top 5 conversation at this point. Sale, Scherzer and then a mix of Kershaw, Snell, Kluber, Degrom and Verlander round out the other elites.

In keeper leagues Snell is probably the top though.

15 hours ago, Jyeatbvg said:

No, but he's definitely in top 5 conversation at this point. Sale, Scherzer and then a mix of Kershaw, Snell, Kluber, Degrom and Verlander round out the other elites.

In keeper leagues Snell is probably the top though.

Personally, in a keeper league I would take Buehler and Severino before him. I'd also devalue Kershaw because of his back and missing time the last couple of years.

2 hours ago, Low and Away said:

Personally, in a keeper league I would take Buehler and Severino before him. I'd also devalue Kershaw because of his back and missing time the last couple of years.

Even with how Severino has performed the last month +?

In fantasy BB Scherzer should be the top pitchers due to consistency, wins, Ks, Qs, health. Sale's health scares me. Severino needs to proof he can sustain a full level of SP1 production. Verlander I don't trust due to his age. deGrom has a career year but he's also in his 30s. MadBum and Kershaw are on the decline. That leads me to Snell and Nola (why isn't he mentioned?). Next year I will target Snell or Nola as my ace. My guess is 2nd/3rd rounders? I'll leave Scherzer/Sale/Verlander/Madbum/Kershaw as a headache (too high of a pick) to everyone else drafting.

Edited by exm
  • Like 2

I echo this ^ but would also add Bauer to the mix with Nola and Snell. 

He's just plain nasty

3 minutes ago, exm said:

In fantasy BB Scherzer should the top pitchers due to consistency, wins, Ks, Qs, health. Sale's health scares me. Severino needs to proof he can sustain a full level of SP1 production. Verlander I don't trust due to his age. deGrom has a career year but he's also in his 30s. MadBum and Kershaw are on the decline. That leads me to Snell and Nola (why isn't he mentioned?). Next year I will target Snell or Nola as my ace. My guess is 2nd/3rd rounders? I'll leave Scherzer/Sale/Verlander/Madbum/Kershaw as a headache (too high of a pick to everyone else drafting).

DeGrom just turned 30 and doesn't have many miles on his arm. Since 2010 he has pitched a total of almost 900 innings including minors. A guy like Sale since 2010 has pitched almost 1500 innings. I don't think your knocking DeGrom but I'm just pointing out that I still think DeGrom has a few great years left and not having alot of mileage on his arm is a big plus. The knock on him is he doesn't get alot of run support for wins. I agree with you on MadBum, Kershaw , Sale and maybe Verlander too. 

1 hour ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Even with how Severino has performed the last month +?

Severino in a keeper/dynasty I am betting further down the road. I have Severino in my Dynasty but stopped starting the last month. It is all how you feel though.

Edited by Low and Away

21 hours ago, Low and Away said:

I think Buehler is great but that's crazy man. Buehler's ceiling is basically what Snell did this year (realistically probably a bit lower), so you're basically taking a guy who's just a year younger than Snell and hasn't played a full season in the bigs yet. The one argument you can make is that Buehler plays for a better team than Snell, but as evidenced this year, it didn't really matter as Snell led the league in wins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jyeatbvg said:

I think Buehler is great but that's crazy man. Buehler's ceiling is basically what Snell did this year (realistically probably a bit lower), so you're basically taking a guy who's just a year younger than Snell and hasn't played a full season in the bigs yet. The one argument you can make is that Buehler plays for a better team than Snell, but as evidenced this year, it didn't really matter as Snell led the league in wins.

I don't think its crazy. AL east scares me.  I think I would take buehler in keeper 

9 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

I don't think its crazy. AL east scares me.  I think I would take buehler in keeper 

Yeah, because Chris Sale has just been horrible in the East. Also look at Snell's #s against the Sox.

I think people are still underrating Snell, and that's just fine. More profit for those who believe in him. 

11 minutes ago, cad300 said:

Yeah, because Chris Sale has just been horrible in the East. Also look at Snell's #s against the Sox.

I think people are still underrating Snell, and that's just fine. More profit for those who believe in him. 

yea that's fine but sale had 5 years of track record and was already established as one of the best sp in baseball before moving to the East. snell has 1 year. sure he can continue to be a top 7 sp but it would be nice if snell had more track record . buehler stuff and numbers last 67 inn- 2.14 era 0.89 whip .171 baa 84'ks are on par with snell imo so im taking the sp in NL west

yes snell 2nd half numbers are better than buehler but I have seen enough from buehler to put him up there with snell if we are projecting the next 3 years

Edited by colepenhagen