Flyman75

Blake Snell 2018 Outlook

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, ragrag said:

 

Yep, gotta roll him out vs CHW or he's just plugging up a roster spot.  If he cant find the zone again I'm fine to go on and cut him as it'll likely be yet another year of him yo-yo-ing on and off the wire.  I really hope he gets back on track,  thought this was the year for him.

Man, you are willing to assume he won't improve based on the first 15 innings of a season? He pitched well in his first start. Versus the Yankess he was in Yankee stadium with the wind blowing out with temps in the 30s I believe. That isn't exactly ideal pitching conditions. I would put some context behind the starts so far and extend that leash just a tad. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it was also snowing this morning in the chicago area. it will be a cold game. I think that should help the pitchers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

Man, you are willing to assume he won't improve based on the first 15 innings of a season? He pitched well in his first start. Versus the Yankess he was in Yankee stadium with the wind blowing out with temps in the 30s I believe. That isn't exactly ideal pitching conditions. I would put some context behind the starts so far and extend that leash just a tad. 

 

That's a fair point.  Context/format matters.  I've got him in a shallow 10 teamer as the last SP in an otherwise stacked rotation so it's a little different for me.  I still believe in Snell, it's just that he has a bit of a history not being able to find the zone and getting rattled when he gets touched.  Hope he gets back on track this week and can produce like an SP3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's faced 14 batters and gone to a full count with 8 of them so far. Stay efficient, Blake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, neljak25 said:

He's faced 14 batters and gone to a full count with 8 of them so far. Stay efficient, Blake.

That last inning was rough... he got ahead on Abreu 0-2, got ahead on Davidson 1-2 and ahead of Castillo 0-2 and then ran the counts full on all three of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This guy could be great one day if he could stop giving up free passes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And now Yonny Chirinos is up in the Pen, guess I won't be starting him tomorrow. Awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, neljak25 said:

And now Yonny Chirinos is up in the Pen, guess I won't be starting him tomorrow. Awesome.

 

Kittredge is up. Chirinos might have a shot to start tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought they should have taken him out after he gave up the walk with 1 out in the 6th. He was laboring the inning before and looked like he was getting gassed. He then went on to walk the pinch hitter but was able to get out of the inning. Things could have gotten bad in this game with 5 walks given up but you gotta admit he showed some poise and promise today. If he could just get out of those 0-2 and 1-2 counts rather than running them full like he did 3 or 4 times today this start could have looked a lot better. Not that it was bad but walking 5 batters could have lead to a very ugly start. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, surprised they let him go that long, sink or swim I guess. I'm glad he got out of that 6th though, velocity was down and he looked out of gas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rays had a good lead, figured it's to let Snell be stretched to 6 innings. As the season progresses, 6 innings should be no problem for him is the hope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone complaining about a 1.50 ERA, 1.00 whip, a win, and 10 K's on the day can eat a poopsicle.

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

believe tomorrow is a bullpen day, from what i've read so far...with snell going monday (and 2 start week next week)...unofficially as of now, though

 

 

edit (b/c i just saw this)--- Marc TopkinVerified account @TBTimes_Rays 1h1 hour ago

 
 

#Rays will start LHP Yarbrough on Sunday vs #Phillies

 

 

so it looks like snell on monday and hopefully (for me at least) chirinos on tuesday

Edited by TheWrightStuff
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TheWrightStuff said:

believe tomorrow is a bullpen day, from what i've read so far...with snell going monday (and 2 start week next week)...unofficially as of now, though

 

 

edit (b/c i just saw this)--- Marc TopkinVerified account @TBTimes_Rays 1h1 hour ago

 
 

#Rays will start LHP Yarbrough on Sunday vs #Phillies

 

 

so it looks like snell on monday and hopefully (for me at least) chirinos on tuesday

This sucks for weekly leagues.  He was supposed to have a 2-start week this week.  Now it looks like we have to decide whether to start him next week wondering if it will actually be a 2 start week...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Looks good tonight.

 

19 k’s his last starts(12.1 ip) and only 2 runs allowed. 6 hits total. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.