Flyman75

Blake Snell 2018 Outlook

8 minutes ago, tywalson said:

Quick, go add Glasnow! 

Just kidding. I do agree with this for the most part but it’s not quite that simple. For most of these guys it’s purely their command and control. Some find it, many others do not. 

Haha!

With guys like Glasnow and (especially) Giolito, they're not going to what made them such good prospects in the first place. Giolito especially looks like a completely different guy to the uber-prospect he once was, he's lost a lot of life on that fast ball.

Snell may have had mediocre numbers, but his stuff looked good and he was still K-ing guys, he was just walking too many people and making the kind of mistakes you expect from young pitchers. My statement may have been a little bit of a generalization, but it's something I plan to do some more digging into when I  get the chance.

YASSSSSS ive loved snellzillas stuff for years but the walks was always what was holding him back and pitch count management

shades of when archer finally reigned in his walks and become a high quality fantasy SP 

Take him out.  He couldn't strike out Span, so he didn't strike out the side for 3 straight innings... ;)

About the only bad thing is all of these K's are driving up his pitch count, but I doubt his owners would complain about a 6 inning game with roughly 15 K's.

I actually have a trade offer involving him that was offered to me today.  A shame it wasn't offered to me yesterday... :)

1 hour ago, gbill2004 said:

Rock. Hard. Stud. 

Eggh. LOL. 

Lets just say he's a tremendous young pitcher. I saw potential with the way he ended last year, but he's exceeded my wildest expectations.  

Who's rolling with him today?  Im in a quality start league and am contemplating leaving him on my bench...

32 minutes ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

Who's rolling with him today?  Im in a quality start league and am contemplating leaving him on my bench...

I'm starting him...gotta treat him like an ace at this point. I also have a pretty good lead on ERA and WHIP so that factors into my decision as well (H2H.)

h2h league too but even in a roto I would be starting him. He's pitched like an ace all year and though it's not an ideal matchup he is the 9th ranked SP in standard formats (w/sv/k/era/whip) behind Scherzer, Verlander, Kluber, Cole, Severino, Nola, DeGrom, and Sale. You would start every one of the guys regardless of the matchup so why not him? I get he doesn't have the track record of most of those guys but he was a very highly touted prospect who seems to have figured things out.

3 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

h2h league too but even in a roto I would be starting him. He's pitched like an ace all year and though it's not an ideal matchup he is the 9th ranked SP in standard formats (w/sv/k/era/whip) behind Scherzer, Verlander, Kluber, Cole, Severino, Nola, DeGrom, and Sale. You would start every one of the guys regardless of the matchup so why not him? I get he doesn't have the track record of most of those guys but he was a very highly touted prospect who seems to have figured things out.

ya im a yankees fan and im starting.  little nervous but cant sit him at this point

yankees did stack the lineup with all righties though

I'm sitting him.  @NYY is probably the worst start for any pitcher in the league these days IMO...worse than @Col.  The Yankees have hit lefties pretty well this year...3rd highest SLG and OPS vs lefties in MLB.  They've scored the 2nd most runs at home this year, behind only BOS (who have had 1 more home game than the NYY).  But the nail in the coffin for me is that Snell gave up 5 ER in 3.1 innings the last time he pitched @NYY.  I hope he pitches a perfect game...but I'm hedging my bets here.  @NYY is only for the aceiest of aces, IMO.  Snell's been great, no doubt, but he's still not an established ace.

EDIT:

Also, Snell's been MUCH better at home this year.  3.40 ERA on the road, which is of course still very good, but he's been a different pitcher at home (0.96 ERA @TB!)  He gives up a few more long balls on the road...and that can be the kiss of death @NYY.

Edited by CAT

49 minutes ago, CAT said:

I'm sitting him.  @NYY is probably the worst start for any pitcher in the league these days IMO...worse than @Col.  The Yankees have hit lefties pretty well this year...3rd highest SLG and OPS vs lefties in MLB.  They've scored the 2nd most runs at home this year, behind only BOS (who have had 1 more home game than the NYY).  But the nail in the coffin for me is that Snell gave up 5 ER in 3.1 innings the last time he pitched @NYY.  I hope he pitches a perfect game...but I'm hedging my bets here.  @NYY is only for the aceiest of aces, IMO.  Snell's been great, no doubt, but he's still not an established ace.

EDIT:

Also, Snell's been MUCH better at home this year.  3.40 ERA on the road, which is of course still very good, but he's been a different pitcher at home (0.96 ERA @TB!)  He gives up a few more long balls on the road...and that can be the kiss of death @NYY.

That start at New York was his second start of the season if I recall correctly. He's in a totally different mindset now that he's been pitching so well.

• Like 1

I started him. Didn't feel great about it. But in a league with any depth where you're using 1500-1600 innings, I don't see how you sit high quality pitchers. Did it work out? Not really. I'd do it again. It really comes down to format, I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lbjames6 said:

That start at New York was his second start of the season if I recall correctly. He's in a totally different mindset now that he's been pitching so well.

Really?  You know his mindset?  Cool...whats he thinking now after giving up a 4-spot and 2 bombs in the 5th?

1 minute ago, jagtrader said:

I started him. Didn't feel great about it. But in a league with any depth where you're using 1500-1600 innings, I don't see how you sit high quality pitchers. Did it work out? Not really. I'd do it again. It really comes down to format, I guess.

same. and i think we did the right thing.  if gleyber didnt foul off a tough curve and he got him out, it would have been 5 innings 1 run and 8ks.  and maybe a win

7 minutes ago, CAT said:

Really?  You know his mindset?  Cool...whats he thinking now after giving up a 4-spot and 2 bombs in the 5th?

LOL he was doing great until the very end. Nice pat on the back there for yourself.

1 minute ago, lbjames6 said:

LOL he was doing great until the very end. Nice pat on the back there for yourself.

“Great until the very end”...is that a category in your league?  Its not in mine.

Thats the whole point...,pitching @NYY, a great start can get ugly real fast.  Thats why it’s generally unwise to start pitchers @NYY this year.  All it takes is a couple of bombs...and that is all it took.

Yeah - I have to agree, the “mindset” insight was a bit odd.

I'll take the 8k and I'd start him again @NYY 5 out of 5 times.  I think he gets a w/qs 2/3 of the time.  Can't say that abt many SP's.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ragrag said:

I'll take the 8k and I'd start him again @NYY 5 out of 5 times.  I think he gets a w/qs 2/3 of the time.  Can't say that abt many SP's.

Even though so far he’s failed to do that in 100% of his opportunities?

Here come the Yankees fans to say I told you so haha. Seriously though you can’t blame anyone for starting Snell tonight. He has been a stud this year and had he gotten Gleyber out it would have been a good start. Yeah I know that’s not how it turned out but one pitch made the difference.