• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  
Letitbe793

Dylan Bundy 2018 Outlook

Bundy made some big strides last year, most importantly pitching 169.2 innings and staying healthy. 

Had 2 solid stretches last year where he was absolutely dominant but lost the feel of pitches here and there midseason and there were blow ups. 
I think theres a very high ceiling here but the Orioles' poor history of developing young starters concerns me...

Edited by Letitbe793

I'd feel pretty good about drafting him this season. According to NFBC his Average Draft Position is post 200 closer to 300. I think he's a nice solid pick in the 200s. 

• Like 1

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/2018-fantasy-baseball-draft-prep-breakouts-1-0-featuring-gerrit-cole-blake-snell-and-yoan-moncada/

I found this article the other day from CBS, and if you scroll to the Bundy section of it, it talks about his slider usage throughout all of last year and its effect on his numbers. 

Here's the bulk of it (without the charts):

You may remember Dylan Bundy appearing on last year's breakouts list with the understanding he would again be allowed to throw his slider-cutter hybrid, the pitch that made him the top pitching prospect in baseball before the arm troubles began in 2013.

And for the first month of 2017, it played out as hoped. On May 1, his ERA stood at 1.65, his WHIP stood at 0.98 and all was right in the world. But when he began to ease up on the pitch, the numbers took a drastic turn. 

Where'd it go? Why'd he stop? His usage of the pitch dipped from about 25 percent in April to about 15 for the next three months. He didn't have a swing-and-miss offering without it, and so he got pummeled to the tune of a 5.61 ERA and 1.37 WHIP with 7.2 strikeouts per nine innings.

So tell us, Dylan of Bundy, what wast thou thinking?

"I think at different points in the year, you start favoring different pitches and pitches start working in your favor at different times of the year," he told The Baltimore Sun back in August.

I mean... it's true his slider wasn't as effective during the time he cut back on it, but it was still his best swing-and-miss pitch. It still needed to be his go-to.

But look, he came to his senses, got that usage back up in the 25 percent range for an eight-start stretch to close out a season, and what resulted was the best version of Bundy we've yet seen in the majors, even delivering his first three double-digit strikeout efforts.

It works out to a 3.58 ERA, 1.03 WHIP and 10.7 strikeouts per nine innings, and it, to me, is the truest, purest form of Dylan Bundy – the one making use of all his weapons.

Surely, he realizes that now. Surely, someone on the Orioles coaching staff does. Surely, this saga, with all its fits and starts, has a happy ending, and surely we're at the precipice of it.

I thought it was an interesting point. I'll be targeting him in the range he is going personally. Low risk high reward. Exactly what you want nearing the end of your draft.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2018 at 12:48 AM, DonaldsDucks said:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/2018-fantasy-baseball-draft-prep-breakouts-1-0-featuring-gerrit-cole-blake-snell-and-yoan-moncada/

I found this article the other day from CBS, and if you scroll to the Bundy section of it, it talks about his slider usage throughout all of last year and its effect on his numbers. 

Here's the bulk of it (without the charts):

I thought it was an interesting point. I'll be targeting him in the range he is going personally. Low risk high reward. Exactly what you want nearing the end of your draft.

Yeah, I read the same thing, and it piqued my interest. I'm going to take a look at him at the back end of my rotation, but being in a division with the Yankees and Sox makes me hesitant. 

I like him. They wanted to limit his slider usage to preserve his arm. Just so happens he sucks without it. It's his best pitch and it's not close. It's a damned if u do, damned if u don't kind of situation. I'm still buying. It might be the best slider in the entire league.

Posted (edited)

Elite slider, great change up.  He’s fastball command away from going from late round flier to top 20 starter.  He’ll be in my bold predictions thread shortly.  I think he finishes top 25 in fantasy this year among SP. He built up stamina last year.  Another year stronger, with 2 plus pitches, this is the type of guy I like to reach for in the later rounds.  

Edited by Cmilne23

7 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Elite slider, great change up.  He’s fastball command away from going from late round flier to top 20 starter.  He’ll be in my bold predictions thread shortly.  I think he finishes top 25 in fantasy this year among SP. He built up stamina last year.  Another year stronger, with 2 plus pitches, this is the type of guy I like to reach for in the later rounds.  

I agree with the elite slider.  Unfortunately it is less effective with overall reduced velocity which has me concerned.  He once upon a time threw close to 100 mph, now he is throwing his fastball at 90-91 MPH without command. 

I thought he was scheduled to pitch yesterday but noticed he didn't.  Hoping for improvements his 3rd time around with his arm strength.

He threw a simulated game instead. I think they were trying to get him on track this spring in a more controlled environment. I'm bullish on Bundy as well. Love his slider and changeup. Really has everything to do with fastball command. With one more year in the rear view mirror since TJ surgery, I have him as a prime candidate to take the next step.  

Something has to be wrong with him.  I know it is just spring training but he could actually raise his ERA today when he came in with a 20+ ERA.  I am considering selling and getting what I can.

Bundy's HR/9, HR/FB%, and GB% are like a pack of neighborhood dogs barking all night long. Not welcome in my neighborhood.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like his stuff but he's a flyball pitcher in the AL East, uhhh...

• Haha 1

Real sharp today.  Did get some help on defense, with Gentry robbing a HR. 

Elite slider, ridiculous change.  If he can locate fastball he’ll be in for major breakout.  Got close to a few dongs today. Will have to learn when down 1-0, 2-0 he can’t groove 92 on a tee.  Dropping that change in any count and commanding it will be huge for his continued development.  

Is he going Tuesday or Wednesday? Yahoo! has him going Wednesday while other places have him going Tuesday against Verlander.

Ok when is he really going? Pitcher's list said he is going Tuesday, while yahoo! and another site said he is going wednesday. When is his next start for sure?

I was afraid to start him against Houston....didn't realize Correa was out. Great line again. Anyone catch the game?

As long as he keeps using that slider, he will have a big year.

On 2/3/2018 at 2:33 PM, dkrocka said:

I like him. They wanted to limit his slider usage to preserve his arm. Just so happens he sucks without it. It's his best pitch and it's not close. It's a damned if u do, damned if u don't kind of situation. I'm still buying. It might be the best slider in the entire league.

Don't the Orioles do this stuff with everyone? No cutters! Ok, this pitch works for you Gausman, but you can only throw so many of them until July! 

Posted (edited)

He’s quickly emerging as a front line starter.  His pitch sequencing is fantastic.  Has command of multiple pitches.  Breakout in progress.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 3

This guy has been lights out so far.. @Bos tomorrow is a VERY tough ask tho. 

Anyone keeping him on the bench (my gut says bench) or is he a must-start every time out guy already??

Posted (edited)

Must start at this point...

Edited by Zombies