azeri98

Victor Robles 2018 Outlook

Does he start the season in AAA, they have Harper, Eaton, Taylor and Kendrick. If he stays up how much playing time will he get?

7 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Does he start the season in AAA, they have Harper, Eaton, Taylor and Kendrick. If he stays up how much playing time will he get?

I think you answered your own question, he will start the season in AAA, this is a veteran team, Robles will get his shot

when the team needs him, that could change, but he needs every day at bats, when he's hot, and a injury happens, then

he'll be called up. That's my opinion. I personally would trade him for Realmuto, the window is closing on this team,

win now, or think about what this season could have been ?

• Like 2

The Nationals wouldn’t trade Robles for Realmuto. I think that Taylor is going to have a good season, but Eaton or Harper are for sure getting DL’d at some point of the season. Robles will get a couple hundred MLB at bats this year IMO.

http://wtop.com/washington-nationals/2017/08/why-im-worried-about-nationals-top-prospect-victor-robles/

What are your thoughts on Robles' hbp skill? If he stays healthy he will likely break the mlb career record by the time he's 30.

Do you think he will need to change his approach to avoid 30-50 hbp per season? Also do you view his plate discipline as weak considering his obp in inflated due to getting hit by pitches.

On 2/9/2018 at 5:28 PM, dsd10988 said:

http://wtop.com/washington-nationals/2017/08/why-im-worried-about-nationals-top-prospect-victor-robles/

What are your thoughts on Robles' hbp skill? If he stays healthy he will likely break the mlb career record by the time he's 30.

Do you think he will need to change his approach to avoid 30-50 hbp per season? Also do you view his plate discipline as weak considering his obp in inflated due to getting hit by pitches.

I ranked his HBP as a 60/60 tool. There is something lacking in his approach as back to back 40 walk seasons isn't a lot. Plate discipline is an important part to being at the top of the lineup. Additionally, getting hit by pitches isn't a good thing especially given the injury proneness it is likely to bring. It is a great hitting approach staying with every pitch until it hits the catcher's mitt. It just leaves you out to dry on pitches in. It is tough for a hitter to fix that. Chase Utley lead the league with HBPs for 3 straight seasons and played nearly full seasons in all 3 so it is possible it doesn't have an effect. It is also possible that he takes a fastball of the hand and is Trea Turner'ed. It is difficult to be Harper's backup plan when you may need a backup plan yourself.

Has he saw much DL time in the minors due to HBPs?

Edited by osb_tensor

On 2/9/2018 at 3:28 PM, dsd10988 said:

thoughts on Robles' hbp skill?

If he stays healthy he will likely break the mlb career record by the time he's 30.

Ha! Seems mutually exclusive, no?

On 2/16/2018 at 10:56 AM, osb_tensor said:

Has he saw much DL time in the minors due to HBPs?

nobody has provided any info related to my question, and i don't know where to get this info.

i did do a little additional digging on his HBP frequency. 2017 saw robles produce the lowest percentage of HBP in a season, in his career. 

year - HBP / PA - percentage of PAs ending with HBP

2014 - 13 / 213 - 6.1%
2015 - 21 / 261 - 8.0%
2016 - 34 / 504 - 6.7%
2017 - 23 / 523 - 4.4%

On 2/9/2018 at 6:28 PM, dsd10988 said:

This is insane! I had no idea it was THIS  bad.  This isn't 1930, back off the plate a little already. 

22 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Eaton left the game with an apparent injury. I'd add now and ask questions later.

If Eaton is out for an extended period will the Nats still call up Robles? Or will they keep him down because of service time?

4 minutes ago, smeeze said:

If Eaton is out for an extended period will the Nats still call up Robles? Or will they keep him down because of service time?

Youre asking questions 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Youre asking questions 

Is that verboden?

8 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Financially I think it makes sense to keep him down until mid-May, but with Michael Taylor sucking and Eaton possibly missing time they might not want to wait that long. They are in absolute win now mode and might sacrifice a year of arbitration if it helps.

Yeah, that didn't look good. Never know with those type of things, could just be painful with no damage. Let's hope, I was looking forward to seeing him soon. 

Nationals' Victor Robles: Avoids serious injury

14 hrs ago | by RotoWire Staff

Robles (elbow) will head to Washington DC on Tuesday for further evaluation after x-rays came back negative, Jorge Castillo of The Washington Post reports.

Robles exited Monday's game early after diving for a fly ball, but he received good news when x-rays on his left elbow came back negative. More news on his status should be forthcoming after he undergoes further testing Tuesday. Robles is currently listed as Washington's No. 1 minor-league prospect.

Not sure why Rotowire chose that headline. I would think that awaiting the finality of the tests would be a better time to say that he avoided serious injuries. I remember when the Gleyber Torres X-rays came back negative and I felt good... only to find out that he needed TJS later that day. Not saying Robles needs TJS, but having an actually diagnosis seems more important than ruling a few things out.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

Not sure why Rotowire chose that headline. I would think that awaiting the finality of the tests would be a better time to say that he avoided serious injuries. I remember when the Gleyber Torres X-rays came back negative and I felt good... only to find out that he needed TJS later that day. Not saying Robles needs TJS, but having an actually diagnosis seems more important than ruling a few things out.

Agreed.  Not out of  the woods yet but negative X-rays is a positive first step.  Sure beats the alternative regardless of what comes next.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, oswald737 said:

Probably best to wait, but I’m guessing it’s because an injury that looks like that is almost always a break, hyperextension, or dislocation. The former being ruled on by xray and the latter two not being that serious.

"Robles has been diagnosed with a hyperextended left elbow and will be reevaluated Monday, Mark Zuckerman of MASN Sports reports.

Spin:

The Nationals will wait for the swelling in Robles' injured elbow to go down before taking another look. Robles suffered the injury Monday on a dive for a flyball at Triple-A Syracuse, but early signs are that he avoided major damage to his elbow. Once he goes in for re-examination, there should be a firmer timetable for Robles' return."

Well this is a bummer. 

Does anyone know if he will be DL eligible in fantasy leagues? He is on the nationals 40 man roster. Does that even matter?

He has the NA tag in my league currently but I couldn’t think of another current minor leaguer who is on his team’s 40 man but is currently injured to use as a test. 

Edited by mjb03003