Dirtywater97

Which Prospectors Evaluations Do You Value The Most?

With the plethora of options out there for getting prospect evaluations, and often widely varying opinions between guys.

Which Prospectors opinions do you find yourself valuing the most? Discuss.

Fangraphs is hard to beat IMO.  It's free and the information is fantastic.  There's a reason why their writers/prospect evaluators are consistently getting picked up from major league offices and scouting departments.  

For me it's Klaw, then everyone else. I do like the pipeline team top 10s, good info there.

7 hours ago, I like baseball said:

Fangraphs is hard to beat IMO.  It's free and the information is fantastic.  There's a reason why their writers/prospect evaluators are consistently getting picked up from major league offices and scouting departments.  

Eno is gone now too.  They are dropping like flies at FG right now.  Disappointing.

For fantasy purposes I think Razzball's prospect resources are pretty underrated. They definitely rank offensive potential higher than the Fangraphs, BA, BP, Sickels lists which give a substantial boost to up the middle defensive ability (SS, CF). Their podcast is a great source of information and entertainment also.

That said I try and consider some average between BA, Sickels, Fangraphs and Razzball for my deep (60 minor leaguer per team) leagues. Baseball Prospectus is IMO the least trustworthy of the major publications because they often come out with contrarian stances - which certainly has value in flagging potential sleepers.

Prospects1500 seems to regurgitate a lot of the information from the above sources, but is a good resource for those who don't want to click through each publication's lists. Very few "hot takes" to be found and very in line with the industry consensus. 

Disclaimer - I do not hold a paid subscription to KLaw, BA, or BP so I'm not privy to that content.

When Kiley was with Fangraphs his prospect, specifically his top 200 list, was absolutely epic. I can't fathom how much effort he must have put into that. Now with him gone I think I prefer BA over the others. They have the best collection of mind right now. I used to value BP's opinion quite a bit but the amount of talent they've lost has left the writing a step down.

14 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

When Kiley was with Fangraphs his prospect, specifically his top 200 list, was absolutely epic. I can't fathom how much effort he must have put into that. Now with him gone I think I prefer BA over the others. They have the best collection of mind right now. I used to value BP's opinion quite a bit but the amount of talent they've lost has left the writing a step down.

What's old is new again as Kiley is back with Fangraphs. Both him and Longanhagen are collaborating on a top 100 that drops Mon.

Funny that both are disciples of KLaw-

5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

What's old is new again as Kiley is back with Fangraphs. Both him and Longanhagen are collaborating on a top 100 that drops Mon.

Funny that both are disciples of KLaw-

Lose Eno, get Kiley back. Life could be worse. That’s really good to hear. Kiley is excellent for fantasy. The Braves gig didnt work out apparently.

To answer the title of this thread properly:

Rotoworld MILB Forum Groupthink

Second to none

2 hours ago, tucker26 said:

Second to none

Doesn't go deep enough, but I agree. Could use more guys discussing it too. 

2 hours ago, tucker26 said:

Second to none

I agree with this! I think there are enough people in here that we cast a pretty wide net in terms of prospects. There are lots of examples of guys in here being on guys before the mainstream media catches on and that's huge because, by the time the mainstream media is in on a prospect, some other guy in your league has picked him up. This forum is great for that day-to-day type of info that sources like Razzball, Fangraphs, and Baseball America may fall short on. So thank you to everyone here! I try and give back as much as I can, hope everyone else does too!

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Doesn't go deep enough, but I agree. Could use more guys discussing it too. 

More lurkers like me need to contribute a bit more!

sickles and fangraphs are great.  The top 20 (or is it 30) for mlb’s pipeline is pretty underrated.

8 minutes ago, Numark said:

More lurkers like me need to contribute a bit more!

Please do and anyone else. I was talking to myself in the Ortiz thread for 2 years.

2 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Too afraid to post about the deeper guys on here. Too many league mates on the forums...

Thanks for sharIng that!

8 hours ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Too afraid to post about the deeper guys on here. Too many league mates on the forums...

It's very true.  Same with me, I usually wait to comment/post until after I've picked up the guy. haha.

15 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

It's very true.  Same with me, I usually wait to comment/post until after I've picked up the guy. haha.

I can't lie, I'm the same way. Got to join deeper leagues with minors so you can talk about them.

Since Kiley is back he jumps to he front of the list. Then BA for me. 

The fantasy one BP produces has been decent too. 

Klaw considers defense too too much for fantasy purposes. So you gotta take it for what it’s worth. 

Edited by tucker26

1 hour ago, tucker26 said:

Since Kiley is back he jumps to he front of the list. Then BA for me. 

The fantasy one BP produces has been decent too. 

Klaw considers defense too too much for fantasy purposes. So you gotta take it for what it’s worth. 

I'm really excited about Fangraphs top 100 dropping on Monday.

Edited by Dirtywater97