Letitbe793

Carter Kieboom-SS-WSH

Drafted in the first round by the Nationals in the 2016 draft, Kieboom, the brother of a catcher also in the nationals system, had a nice pro debut in 2017 though missed some time with a hamstring injury. 

Made it to low A Hagerstown--in 48 games there hit .296 with 8 HRs and 2 SBs. What stands out to me is a .201 ISO and an excellent 13.3% walk rate. 

Seems to have a great approach. Scouts think he will move to 3B eventually. 

Reminds me a lot of Corey Seager. 

• Like 1

He's so underrated by most outlets. Was on his way to blowing up last year before injury.

On my personal list he's already right around 39-44 area.

I forecast a move to 2B, but not for another year or two.

• Like 1

not much video on him.

IIRC, scouting reports pegged him as sort of a solid-across-the-board type... but without much steals speed.

any prospect hounds have an apt player comparison for Kieboom? 

In dynasty, a leaguemate is trying to sell me Kieboom with a Tulowitzki comp... not sure how accurate that is

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

In dynasty, a leaguemate is trying to sell me Kieboom with a Tulowitzki comp... not sure how accurate that is

From Longenhagen's Fangraphs chat on 5/16/17:

Andrew: Who in the Nats organization has opened the most eyes in the early going?

Eric A Longenhagen: I had someone (not in Nats org) slap a Tulo comp on Carter Kieboom.

Love Kieboom. Was intentionally not starting this thread until after our league draft, ha. 

I value him the same as Tatis Jr., Bo Bichette. I prefer all 3 to Brendan Rodgers or Gleyber Torres. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sngehl01 said:

Love Kieboom. Was intentionally not starting this thread until after our league draft, ha. 

I value him the same as Tatis Jr., Bo Bichette. I prefer all 3 to Brendan Rodgers or Gleyber Torres. 

Rodgers seems very likely to be a .285-25-95 kind of bat, with more upside.  what kind of bat does Kieboom have?

12 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

Rodgers seems very likely to be a .285-25-95 kind of bat, with more upside.  what kind of bat does Kieboom have?

Not sure what is gained from comparing Rodgers to Kieboom but both played in SAL at 19 years old:

Rodgers hit .281/.342/.480 in 491 PA's in 2016 with a 7.1%/20.0% (BB/K), good for 135 wRC+ 

Kieboom hit .296/.400/.497 in 210 PA's in 2017 with a 13.3%/19% (BB/K), good for 158 wRC+

Kieboom's season was cut short by hamstring issues which cooled off the hype and is probably the reason he isn't getting more love in prospect circles.  Kiley McDaniel mentioned that Kieboom is more bat over power today in his Fangraphs chat for what its worth and FG's guys are high on him. 

Kieboom's 158 wRC+ was tied with this forums prospect darling Colton Welker last year (both played in the SAL).  Obviously, Kieboom won't play at Coors Field for half his games in the future but he is an interesting prospect none the less, especially if he could stick at short stop. 

4 hours ago, Meastoftheeast said:

Not sure what is gained from comparing Rodgers to Kieboom but both played in SAL at 19 years old:

Rodgers hit .281/.342/.480 in 491 PA's in 2016 with a 7.1%/20.0% (BB/K), good for 135 wRC+ 

Kieboom hit .296/.400/.497 in 210 PA's in 2017 with a 13.3%/19% (BB/K), good for 158 wRC+

I said that because you said "I value him the same as Tatis Jr., Bo Bichette. I prefer all 3 to Brendan Rodgers or Gleyber Torres. "  

also thanks for posting those k/walk percentages, looks like Kieboom could excel more in OBP than Rodgers. 

I'm only asking because Kieboom looked a bit vanilla in the few solid clips I could find of him... hoping he's got some category oomph since I just acquired him in dynasty.

I did see nice potential in this clip of him in the cage. Hard to gauge the power but his coordination is excellent. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS

14 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

9 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I said that because you said "I value him the same as Tatis Jr., Bo Bichette. I prefer all 3 to Brendan Rodgers or Gleyber Torres. "  

also thanks for posting those k/walk percentages, looks like Kieboom could excel more in OBP than Rodgers. 

That was me. 

I will clarify. If Kieboom gets traded to Miami, it's going to cool him considerably in my eyes. I just feel like guys don't come up and do well in Miami or Tampa Bay for me. Personal bias there. 

But for Kieboom in a vaccuum, love the kid. He has a real nice swing, and I think he grows into some really solid power. 

I'm notorious for targeting guys like this. He's got good size and he's athletic enough at 6'2 to stick at short. Could just as easily see him getting moved off. 

I think he's a safer play than Rodgers because he has the ability to take a walk. In my experience, guys who don't get the walks have a hard time maintaining success at high levels. Rodgers showed that at AA this year, but that doesn't mean he can't improve. He was incredibly young at AA. I'm not saying Rodgers or Torres are far behind, or even behind at all, it's really a preference call. I just prefer the guy with the size and good BB%, who already thumps the ball. I'm surprised he doesn't get any more love than he does. 

• Thanks 1

just took him 5th round in 16 team dynasty startup

thanks as always fellas 

He's one of those guys that if you don't get him this year next year it will probably be too late if he booms. The walk rate is very nice at that age.

Also do you think it would be beneficial to have a comp thread? (After seeing the Tulo comp just wondering if people would like that?)

4 hours ago, DropkickAlex said:

He's one of those guys that if you don't get him this year next year it will probably be too late if he booms. The walk rate is very nice at that age.

Hes already getting quite a bit of attention. Drafted 70th overall among all minor leaguers in start up dynasty draft i just did. 

5-13 with 2 HR in his last 3 games.

Ssshhh. 

HR #3 today...this kid could force his way onto the fast-track with how special the bat may be--even with the dev time lost last year.

Posted (edited)

swing from a few days ago... definitely some Major League skills here. 

And now I see where the Tulo comps come from - he even looks like him!

9606027734494fa05ef89ca64a0b823c.png 3498808d5f5a4c3e693d6e4b327df814.jpg 

Edited by RotoBird

He struggled early on but Carter has been hitting very well lately. 

over his last 10 games he has a 9:3 BB:K ratio.

you read that right, 9 walks and 3 Ks. 

He has brought his avg/OBP up to .250/.367 with 6 homers and 3 SB’s in 140 ish AB’s. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Heard his bro got the call up the other day for Wieters...anxiously awaiting the day Carter gets that call.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2018 at 2:29 PM, Halo Fan said:

Heard his bro got the call up the other day for Wieters...anxiously awaiting the day Carter gets that call.

It’s going to be a little while. Im thinking we won’t see him until 2020 or  sometime in 2019 for a cup of coffee if all goes well. 

Edited by Under500Forever

6 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

It’s going to be a little while. Im thinking we won’t see him until 2020 or  sometime in 2019 for a cup of coffee if all goes well. 

Right, but I'm still looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I forgot to mention that he Has 2 or more hits in 7 of his last 8 games

over his last 10 games he’s hitting .487/.600 OBP

Edited by Under500Forever
  • Like 1

another Kieboom update:

Some of you guys may recall Carter Kieboom was horrible in April but he started to heat up in May. 

On the season he has brought his average/OBP up to .289/.380 which is great considering he was hitting about .200 through the first month. 

He has 9 homers (3 in his last 4 games), 4 SB’s, 40 RBI, 38 Runs, 30 BB , 44 K in about 240-250 plate appearances. 

• Like 1

Has to be getting close to a promotion at this point.

He has a great ability to control the strike zone, very mature approach. Gotta love how aggressive the Nats are, but I think a meteoric rise to the bigs (ala Soto) probably isn't in the cards, but still can see him in AA very soon. Going to be a hole at 2B and maybe 3B for the Nats soon and he has to be in the running to fill a spot by mid 2019.

• Like 1