JoeJoe88

Carlos Hyde 2018 Outlook

It would appear the writing is on the wall for Hyde to be out of San Francisco.  Where does he end up?  Seems to be quite a few teams that could use him.  Jets, Seattle, Colts and Bucs come to mind.  Personally, Detroit seems like a great fit to me.

5 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

It would appear the writing is on the wall for Hyde to be out of San Francisco.  Where does he end up?  Seems to be quite a few teams that could use him.  Jets, Seattle, Colts and Bucs come to mind.  Personally, Detroit seems like a great fit to me.

Reality?  He'd be an asset in Seattle, Indy, TB, and Detroit.  I really like the Detroit fit.

I do not see Seattle signing him as I suspect they like Davis/Prosise/Carson/Mckissic.  However, they SHOULD.  Adding a rb like Hyde that can create on his own would lessen the load on the oline and Wilson.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Reality?  He'd be an asset in Seattle, Indy, TB, and Detroit.  I really like the Detroit fit.

I do not see Seattle signing him as I suspect they like Davis/Prosise/Carson/Mckissic.  However, they SHOULD.  Adding a rb like Hyde that can create on his own would lessen the load on the oline and Wilson.

I didnt even think of Tampa which would be a good fir for him.  he would definitely boost that offense

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I didnt even think of Tampa which would be a good fir for him.  he would definitely boost that offense

Me either until this morning.  There's several teams around the league that could use his services if you think about it, especially if Lev stays put.  Oakland?  

What tells you the writing on the wall?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Winky said:

What tells you the writing on the wall?

I don't understand that either.  They don't have a RB on their roster that can fill his shoes.  

I hope he stays and doesn't see them spend a high pick on competition, but this is Shanahan and Hyde wasn't hand picked by him. 

I'm definitely worried. But we will see. I haven't heard they are looking to move on from him myself, but I wouldn't be shocked either. 

Edited by Dreams And Dwightmares
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 10:51 PM, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

I hope he stays and doesn't see them spend a high pick on competition, but this is Shanahan and Hyde wasn't hand picked by him. 

I'm definitely worried. But we will see. I haven't heard they are looking to move on from him myself, but I wouldn't be shocked either. 

Freeman wasn't hand picked as well ;) 

59 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

Freeman wasn't hand picked as well ;) 

Correct. Shanahan definitely tried  to replace him though. He drafted tevin Coleman and made him the starter and was trying to phase Freeman out. 

Then Coleman was immediately injured and Freeman showed he belonged and Shanahan had no choice but to roll with the better back. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Correct. Shanahan definitely tried  to replace him though. He drafted tevin Coleman and made him the starter and was trying to phase Freeman out. 

Then Coleman was immediately injured and Freeman showed he belonged and Shanahan had no choice but to roll with the better back. 

I doubt hyde will make it to training camp if they plan on training him so there will be no rb competition like coleman and freeman had. Also some may forget freeman showed no signs of being a breakout rb from the previous season  and while he and coleman were in a rotation start of season. he just clicked  the minute coleman got injured and he never looked back.

Edited by dashoe

15 carries a game and 59 receptions last year... he adapted and became a pretty solid part of the program.

Breida is a nice compliment and Williams is pretty undefined.

Disclaimer - I don't see Joe Williams as NFL caliber, so (in this case) I don't put stock in the hand-picked thing...

Winning is all that counts and Hyde proved his worth despite all the noise last off-season.

Can't see Shanny cutting him loose, at all... but if he does, it'll great for the team that gets him.

24 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Why would they move on from Hyde? Any chatter about that?

He's due for a new contract, so you'll have to pay him more. 

Also, while he is a solid RB, he's not a game changer and not a natural fit for Shanahan's system.  There's 4 or 5 RBs in this draft that would probably be the same or better than Hyde: Barkley, Michel, Guice, Penny...  Maybe Chubb, Jones, or Freeman.  Jones with his speed may actually be a sneaky good fit. 

Basically just dollars and cents. 

Edited by Lord_Varys
  • Like 1

I could see SF going for Ballage or another speedster and letting Hyde leave. Williams will never be a starter, I'm glad he got a chance to be drafted and be in the NFL, but he was never going to be a NFL calibre back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

I could see SF going for Ballage or another speedster and letting Hyde leave. Williams will never be a starter, I'm glad he got a chance to be drafted and be in the NFL, but he was never going to be a NFL calibre back.

Funny cause pre draft last year the Hyde thread made it pretty clear it wasn't a matter of IF but WHEN Williams was gonna send Hyde to the bench. 

5 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Funny cause pre draft last year the Hyde thread made it pretty clear it wasn't a matter of IF but WHEN Williams was gonna send Hyde to the bench. 

I think that's because not many people knew that he was a product of how great the Utah line was, the hype around him was never justified.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

I'm not seeing it with Ballage but that's my own bias.  

I do think ideally Shanny would want a quicker back that can get upfield just a tick faster on all those outside zone running plays.  I love Hyde and think he's a beast, pulling for him to get paid and get the lead back role somewhere, but Brieda seemed to hit the creases faster than he did.  

2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

I do think ideally Shanny would want a quicker back that can get upfield just a tick faster on all those outside zone running plays

Ronald Jones II fits the bill and could be there when they pick in the second. 

2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

I'm not seeing it with Ballage but that's my own bias.  

Well the only game I have watched him in was the ridiculous Texas A&M game, so I won't pretend to know his true potential beyond the metrics.

6 hours ago, Lord_Varys said:

He's due for a new contract, so you'll have to pay him more. 

Also, while he is a solid RB, he's not a game changer and not a natural fit for Shanahan's system.  There's 4 or 5 RBs in this draft that would probably be the same or better than Hyde: Barkley, Michel, Guice, Penny...  Maybe Chubb, Jones, or Freeman.  Jones with his speed may actually be a sneaky good fit. 

Basically just dollars and cents. 

6 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

42 minutes ago, Lord_Varys said:

Ronald Jones II fits the bill and could be there when they pick in the second. 

Hyde is an average starting running back. Nothing against him; he's just not good or great. The best he has done is 13th in yards from scrimmage. Breida does look like a better fit in SF. They certainly can add to that backfield in the draft. I think Kerryon Johnson could be a sneaky contributor. I agree that Ronald Jones II is the perfect fit; especially, if he has continued to bulk and maintain athleticism.

If Hyde was on his rookie contract for 2018 we wouldn't have this conversation (even though that conversation was going around by the bay area writers in July 2017). The issue is that smart teams don't pay top dollar for average players ***COUGH-COUGH-Washington***

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thebrowns said:

Hyde is an average starting running back. Nothing against him; he's just not good or great. The best he has done is 13th in yards from scrimmage. Breida does look like a better fit in SF. They certainly can add to that backfield in the draft. I think Kerryon Johnson could be a sneaky contributor. I agree that Ronald Jones II is the perfect fit; especially, if he has continued to bulk and maintain athleticism.

If Hyde was on his rookie contract for 2018 we wouldn't have this conversation (even though that conversation was going around by the bay area writers in July 2017). The issue is that smart teams don't pay top dollar for average players ***COUGH-COUGH-Washington***

I appreciate what Hyde has done for fantasy (9th in PPR) but everyone is right... he’s not worthy of starter money.

What’s interesting is (assuming SF doesn’t draft a RB early) is that Breida has the opportunity to put up some very good numbers.  Breida is currently completely under the radar.  If you (we) can get him as your 3rd RB he could be a steal.  I’ll be thinking about Breida around the same time as Aaron Jones.

As for Hyde, his best option is someplace like Miami as their 1b guy.

Here’s some food for thought:

San Francisco’s offensive line was the worst run-blocking unit in the NFL last season, per Football Outsiders. Hyde managed to produce more positive yards after contact than some of the league’s best running backs, which might indicate he’s due for a strong season should his blocking improve.

This makes me think Hyde might be worth a stash if he appears undervalued by ADP.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

I appreciate what Hyde has done for fantasy (9th in PPR) but everyone is right... he’s not worthy of starter money.

What’s interesting is (assuming SF doesn’t draft a RB early) is that Breida has the opportunity to put up some very good numbers.  Breida is currently completely under the radar.  If you (we) can get him as your 3rd RB he could be a steal.  I’ll be thinking about Breida around the same time as Aaron Jones.

As for Hyde, his best option is someplace like Miami as their 1b guy.

Here’s some food for thought:

San Francisco’s offensive line was the worst run-blocking unit in the NFL last season, per Football Outsiders. Hyde managed to produce more positive yards after contact than some of the league’s best running backs, which might indicate he’s due for a strong season should his blocking improve.

This makes me think Hyde might be worth a stash if he appears undervalued by ADP.

I was going to comment on how poor the SF OL has been but decided not to...especially since I already commented that it appeared Breida was a better system fit.

Having said that, I believe in his raw talent but the clock is ticking on that one. 

8 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

I was going to comment on how poor the SF OL has been but decided not to...especially since I already commented that it appeared Breida was a better system fit.

Having said that, I believe in his raw talent but the clock is ticking on that one. 

It would be funny if the Steelers ditched L. Bell (and his inflated contact demands) and picked up Hyde.

Hyde would probably be an upgrade in the running game, and a downgrade in the passing game.  The Steelers could find someone else for 3rd downs...

The Steelers would probably get a high compulsory draft pick loosing Bell in the Free Agency. 

32 minutes ago, seanismorris said:

It would be funny if the Steelers ditched L. Bell (and his inflated contact demands) and picked up Hyde.

Hyde would probably be an upgrade in the running game, and a downgrade in the passing game.  The Steelers could find someone else for 3rd downs...

The Steelers would probably get a high compulsory draft pick loosing Bell in the Free Agency. 

Hyde can catch. 

I saw at least 2 great catches on wheel routes this season where he completely beat his LB. 

Just now, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

Hyde can catch. 

I saw at least 2 great catches on wheel routes this season where he completely beat his LB. 

He can run routes and catch.   Unfortunately he also has too many concentration related drops.