Sign in to follow this  
JoeJoe88

Carlos Hyde 2018 Outlook

3 minutes ago, cheezor42 said:

Teams don't give up a 5th round pick for a backup RB on a 3 week rental.  Fournette is not in good shape and they have serious enough concerns that they added a significant piece to bolster their run game.  I'd be shocked if negative news on Fournette doesn't come out in the days/weeks to come.

That said, still not happy about this.

Yep, this is awful news for Hyde owners, but I'd say even worse for Fournette owners. 

• Like 1

Think it'll be pretty neutral, seems Jags don't view Yeldon as a starting back and Fournette's injury might be worse than stated and this trade gives them the option to bring along Fournette slowly and fully healed

The scenario for the Jags if Fournette really is on track to return week 9 is mind boggling. They would have traded a 5th round pick, and taken on an enormous contract, that they are somehow going to have to get out of at the end of the season, for 1 game where Hyde might lead the backfield in touches and the rest of the season get a few touches. Fournette just can't be right, that's the only logical explanation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this is great news for hyde owners because rotoworld forums thinks its bad and the opposite always happens.

Hyde was useless in Cleveland anyway.. they can't move the ball half the time.  He went from a bench player you can't drop to a bench player you might be able to drop. 

If fournette is out long term its great for hyde as he's an offensive machine given the touches, specifically if they let him catch passes

I hated him on the browns and didn't even trust to start him anymore.  He's my rb3 so its all good here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think this is mostly good for Hyde.  He has to learn a new system quickly, but he will be the primary back on a team committed to the run, with a very good O-line.  That will be until/if Fournette returns.

• Like 1

Let's look at the Jaguars depth chart prior to the trade. We have TJ Yeldon, Jamaal Charles, and Leonard Fournette.
Yeldon: A solid running back, perhaps slightly injured and probably not built to handle 15-20 carries a game.

Charles: Washed up. Nothing to see here.

Fournette: Injured. Return date unknown.

So, with the uncertainty surrounding Fournette's return and Yeldon's likely inability to carry a full load, the Jags could not conceivably continue to trot Yeldon and Charles out onto the field as their only dressed running back. This move makes every bit of sense for the Jags. A 5th round pick is lowwww. There are only 7 rounds. Doesn't get too much lower than 5. Jags acquired needed insurance. If the Jags were really concerned about Fournette and are truly in win now mode, they likely would have tried to make a move for a more dynamic runner like McCoy if Fournette is truly shelved. I think the Jags still continue to run Fournette into the ground when he returns. Nevertheless, I want no part of this situation and will be selling my Fournette shares.

Edited by timexsocialclub
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m going to live in delusion for now. I’m holding out hope that the real reason for this is that Fournette isn’t close to being healthy, and the Jags traded for Hyde because they need a 20-carry guy down the stretch. If (big if) that is the case, Hyde is actually in a better position in Jax to make hay and be productive. 

Now...I am fully aware that this line of thinking is mostly wishful thinking with all the reports coming out. But I’ll wishfully think/hope this until we have more clarity on week 10. Haha!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, cheezor42 said:

Teams don't give up a 5th round pick for a backup RB on a 3 week rental.  Fournette is not in good shape and they have serious enough concerns that they added a significant piece to bolster their run game.  I'd be shocked if negative news on Fournette doesn't come out in the days/weeks to come.

Teams thinking they can win a super bowl and have two banged up RBS would be smart to bring in a solid RB like Hyde for insurance. 

If you honestly think Hyde is coming in and shoving fournette and yeldon to the side you're one of the many Hyde owners in denial.

• Like 3

This is good as long as fournette is out. Hurts Yeldon more than Hyde or fournette 

This trade made perfect sense

1. jags are playing for the SB and need a above average  cheap rb who can mke plays in the power run game. No need to pay up for bell or lesean when you need a gap guy until fournettes return by playoffs. 

2. Browns realize they are not making playoffs and wanted more draft capital for their rebuild and got a darft pick + rid rid of a salary on a player they were going to release offseason. Get chubb his reps now as your are already thinking about next season

I'm thinking as a Hyde owner the most sensible move is to make a low-ball offer on Fournette.

Of course as a Hyde owner I'm already in desperate condition as it is.

4 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

Teams thinking they can win a super bowl and have two banged up RBS would be smart to bring in a solid RB like Hyde for insurance. 

If you honestly think Hyde is coming in and shoving fournette and yeldon to the side you're one of the many Hyde owners in denial.

Who the heck said Hyde was shoving Fournette aside? He won't have to. 

8 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

The real joke here is that the jags think they can win a super bowl ?

anywags fournette is broken so he doesn’t need to be shoved aside. As for Yeldon he could very easily be relegated back to his change of pace role - it’s no guarantee but it’s obviouslt not far fetched.

He's not playing this week so that sucks and has a bye after the next game ugh!

Given Fournette’s health and history,  I’m thinking just wait and see how things shake out. Hyde could be toting the rock 15-20 times a game down the stretch. Of course that’s best case scenario. He’ll be a hard sell to someone else right now. 

Edited by rgernon

McCoy being better than Hyde right now?  Nossir.

Just now, MNadel said:

People forget what a good player hyde is.. hes been on horrible teams with no line.  Great vision

Jag's o-line isn't that much of an improvement in my opinion, especially on a team that has bortles on the squad, meaning more stacked boxes.

24 minutes ago, TennisDude said:

Who the heck said Hyde was shoving Fournette aside? He won't have to. 

Right, Carlos Hyde owners lala-land  fournette is out for the year and yeldon is will be a non factor 

Everyone go out and trade for Hyde!!!

1 hour ago, dakimbell said:

tragic news for Hyde's fantasy value, not only is he not starting this week but it is being reported that this was just a depth move by the Jags and Fournette is expected to return week 10 to lead role. Hyde has one game to have any kind of meaningful role, that he will split with Yeldon against Philly. Yuck.

LOL I don’t care what the reports say, the Jags didn’t just trade draft capital for a one-week rental. To make sure they beat the Eagles in London? Come on. :lol:

• Like 3

Totally agree...Marrone knows that fournette is soft cheese and is not coming back and time soon, and Yeldon does not give this team the run it down your throat identity they want.  Hyde is going to get work.

People overblow the importance of the 5th round pick given up for Hyde. Ajayi was traded for a 4th. Different contract situation, but Ajayi was struggling mightily in Miami before he was traded. Hyde had a great start to the season which is for sure the reason it's a 5th and not a conditional 6th or 7th. Jags are all-in this season with their elite defense, but after losing Grant and signing Jamal Charles off the scrap heap, this was almost a no-brainer. Gives them a solid set of backs until Fournette is ready and keeps them from rushing him back. They can't let Bortles air it out, especially how he is playing right now. They need to keep pounding and let their defense do the rest. Coughlin was probably the engine behind this deal.

The biggest issue for Hyde is that Yeldon won't go away as he knows the playbook, protections and is a better pass catcher than Hyde. Early on, as Hyde learns the playbook, Yeldon will still get some early down work. Once Hyde could be able to handle a bigger workload, which is after the bye, Fournette will most likely return. Maybe he doesn't. Hamstrings are tricky, but let's not act like he has a grade 3 MCL sprain. They will give him as long as it takes and then unleash him. Of course Hyde will vulture a TD or two, just like Yeldon would've done. But if you think the 2017 4th overall pick who comes off a great rushing season as a rookie won't return as their bellcow in 2018 - please tell me what you drink, because I want it too!

Hyde is too risky until their bye, and then will take a backseat to Fournette. Basically one of the better handcuffs. And even there are some with better situations, because Yeldon on 3rd down won't go away. With Hyde you are hoping Fournette doesn't get healthy all season long or gets injured again. Not the worst odds, but just yesterday you had a high RB2 in Hyde, which is not the case anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, dashoe said:

This trade made perfect sense

1. jags are playing for the SB and need a above average  cheap rb who can mke plays in the power run game. No need to pay up for bell or lesean when you need a gap guy until fournettes return by playoffs. 

2. Browns realize they are not making playoffs and wanted more draft capital for their rebuild and got a darft pick + rid rid of a salary on a player they were going to release offseason. Get chubb his reps now as your are already thinking about next season

Hyde is getting paid $5M this season, so not exactly cheap. So I agree with everything you wrote above about the trade making total sense from Cleveland’s side. From Jacksonville’s perspective, however, this trade doesn’t really make sense UNLESS Fournette is still going to be out for an extended period of time. Hence the assumption by myself and many others that Fournette must not be as close to returning as they’re letting on. Actions speak louder than words.

1 hour ago, cheezor42 said:

Jags are 3-3 and trending downward. They can't afford to lose anymore so I could see them trading for Hyde for a few week rental so they can back on track as a team. This is a team with Super Bowl aspirations so every win and loss counts especially in a competitive division.