Sign in to follow this  
JoeJoe88

Carlos Hyde 2018 Outlook

8 minutes ago, munde53 said:

Jags are 3-3 and trending downward. They can't afford to lose anymore so I could see them trading for Hyde for a few week rental so they can back on track as a team. This is a team with Super Bowl aspirations so every win and loss counts especially in a competitive division.

Lmao so having an RB totally unfamiliar with the system come in with no notice is supposed to win them games now? I can’t even with these takes.

Edited by cheezor42
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cheezor42 said:

Lmao so having an RB totally unfamiliar with the system come in with no notice is supposed to win them games now? I can’t even with these takes.

It makes sense if Fournette is more injured then they're stating, maybe an IR stint looms.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cheezor42 said:

I hope the Jags are paying you well since clearly you work in their front office with all your knowledge of the team. 

The Jags just singed Jamaal Charles off of the street to help fill in for Fournette and he looked terrible. They only have one healthy back apart from Yeldon and Yeldon is only a COP/3rd down back. Fournette may be out for the rest of the year or just two more games. None of us know. What I do know is that the Jags RB corps have been decimated by injury and Fournette has proven to be very injury prone at this point in his career. It makes sense for the Jags, who are built to win now, to bring in a quality back as depth in case Fournette has a set back or gets injured again.

• Like 4

Of all this teams to get traded to, this was basically the worst place he could go from a fantasy perspective.  Wasted season for owners of Fournette, Yeldon, and Hyde at this point.  I'm just gonna pick up Ivory and hope Shady gets moved next. Bc i'd rather have a Bills RB at this point than any of the trash they're adding up in Jax now.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MrPositive said:

The Eagles traded a 4th rounder for Ajayi last year and he was the starter pretty much immediately. You don't trade draft stock for committee people or backups....ever.

You must be kidding.  So you cherry pick one example?

There are endless 5th and 6th rd picks that have been traded that have turned out on the wrong side of good.  

11 minutes ago, TheINC said:

Of all this teams to get traded to, this was basically the worst place he could go from a fantasy perspective.  Wasted season for owners of Fournette, Yeldon, and Hyde at this point.  I'm just gonna pick up Ivory and hope Shady gets moved next. Bc i'd rather have a Bills RB at this point than any of the trash they're adding up in Jax now.

Are you that sure? 

I think it’s a perfect place the Jags want to run the ball. Hyde immediately takes over 

* Any news about Hyde play ping this week? 

Edited by shakestreet

2 hours ago, MJJ28 said:

A trade wasn’t obvious but it was clear Chubb was going to take touches and render Hyde useless. 2nd round rookies averaging 10 ypc behind a stopgap vet averaging 3 ypc don’t ride the pine for long. To believe anything else was just sticking your head in the sand.

I was in here saying to trade Hyde about three weeks ago when it was clear he was not long for the job. Would you like me to dig up the posts?

Clear as day given the touch share. Chubb went for 100 on 3 and still got 3 the next week.  How many up and coming bellcows that supplant mid 20 some top end rbs are entrusted with just 3 touches a game.  Nick chubb was not a thing and he wasnt going to be while hyde and johnson were there together this season.  Great guy for next year, but it was never going to happen this year barring and injury or this crazy chain of events.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, poofinger said:

2 Girls

1 Cupp

Thank you...poofinger

21 minutes ago, TheINC said:

Yes, but if Fournette does go on IR, Hyde could be interesting.  The Jags have been around so many times with Yeldon, and he has never been the answer for more than a few games.

I have Hyde, and will drop him if needed, but I hope to keep him until things clarify.

2 hours ago, dashoe said:

This trade made perfect sense

1. jags are playing for the SB and need a above average  cheap rb who can mke plays in the power run game. No need to pay up for bell or lesean when you need a gap guy until fournettes return by playoffs. 

2. Browns realize they are not making playoffs and wanted more draft capital for their rebuild and got a darft pick + rid rid of a salary on a player they were going to release offseason. Get chubb his reps now as your are already thinking about next season

1. Correct.  People are reading way too much certainty into this trade.  The Jags don't know when LF will be ready to play, he doesn't know when he'll be ready to play, nobody knows when he'll be ready.  Could be next month, could be playoffs, could be next year.  The only thing known is that its unknown.  A 5th isn't all that high a price, and this gives the team something to fall back on in the worst case, and buys them time to be cautious. 

2. I don't think it has anything to do with the Browns conceding the season - I think they believe Chubb is better.  Who knows how much input Jackson even had on this decision.  Its possible/likely that Dorsey thought this was a good opportunity to force Hue's hand.  I doubt they've given up playoff hopes.  Instead, an opportunity presented itself (the Jags called them, they weren't shopping Hyde) that they took advantage of to a) shed salary commitment, b-) pick up a little extra draft capital, and c) get Chubb into the feature back role quicker.

Honestly, the trade makes sense for both sides.  I think the key takeaways are that Cleveland front office is confident that Chubb can do the job, and that Jacksonville wasn't comfortable with their rb situation regarding both LF and Yeldon health.

Edit: sorry, kinda just restated a lot of what you said. Got hung up on the "Cleveland knows they won't make playoffs" part.  Don't think this an indication of that at all, but agree with all your other points.

Edited by SadFaceHappy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cheezor42 said:

Lmao. The running back position is the easiest transition for players moving from team to team or from college to the pros. Hyde is been in a few different systems. He'll have no trouble acclimating. I can't even with your take. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Lmao. The running back position is the easiest transition for players moving from team to team or from college to the pros. Hyde is been in a few different systems. He'll have no trouble acclimating. I can't even with your take. 

So why give up a draft pick? Grab a quality undrafted RB from this year's draft. Wadley, Carter, Pettway, etc.

Edited by Bigfische

6 minutes ago, Bigfische said:

So why give up a draft pick? Grab a quality undrafted RB from this year's draft. Wadley, Carter, Pettway, etc.

Because teams would rather have a 1st round talent with a 3 year track record of high quality production and experience, than an UDFA rookie who's never played a down in the NFL.  It bothers me that this even has to be explained.

Image result for duh gif

Edited by FFCollusion
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

Because teams would rather have a 1st round talent with a 3 year track record of high quality production and experience, than an UDFA rookie who's never played a down in the NFL.  It bothers me that this even has to be explained.

Image result for duh gif

You said it was an easy transition?  

14 minutes ago, Bigfische said:

You said it was an easy transition?  

A: No I didn't.

B: Just because it's an easy transition to LEARN doesn't automatically make Derrick Henry equal to the SKILL/Talent/Experience/Knowledge of Todd Gurley.

You're basically saying that, if a transition is easy, it means Wadley, Carter, Pettway should be just as talented, skill, and successful as Saquon Barkley.

If you don't understand that, then there's literally no hope for you in any aspect of life, because it applies to damn near everything.

Transitioning can be easy, but that doesn't automatically make you an elite talent at your position.

To draw this out in crayon for you, what they meant by 'transition' is that you can tell Hyde "off tackle left" and he can go execute the play without needing to know the entire playbook, offense, calls, etc.  Now, yes Wadley, Carter, or Pettway could also understand what 'off tackle left' means to do on the field, but there is still a TALENT/SKILL/EXPERIENCE discrepancy, between the 2 players running off tackle left.

Just because any WR can run a go route, doesn't mean every WR can run them equally.  Transition means, he'll know what to do on offense.  Skill determines how well he can do it.  Those losers you named, aren't in the same stratosphere as Hyde.

THAT is why one player is worth a 5th round pick+ $$ and UDFAs aren't.  Get it?

Edited by FFCollusion
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cheezor42 said:

If Barkley or Gurley walked on to the field as a free agent an hour before the game, you think the coach isn't going to play him?  Run left, run right, run off (whichever) OL.  Tell him the route in the huddle, or if its block, block/outlet., etc. If Barkley can like that behind the giants offensive line, he has to start on almost any team. No playbook required.

2 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

A: No I didn't.

B: Just because it's an easy transition to LEARN doesn't automatically make Derrick Henry equal to the SKILL/Talent/Experience/Knowledge of Todd Gurley.

You're basically saying that, if a transition is easy, it means Wadley, Carter, Pettway should be just as talented, skill, and successful as Saquon Barkley.

If you don't understand that, then there's literally no hope for you in any aspect of life, because it applies to damn near everything.

Transitioning can be easy, but that doesn't automatically make you an elite talent at your position.

Oh, I understand it, but you're trying to have it both ways. You "LMAO'd" a post replying to a statement that said they traded for Hyde to be a few week rental, or one game. He isn't playing this week, the following week is the one game, then bye week,  then hypothetical return of LF and the end of the need for Hyde in the scenario. They need a RB to spell Yeldon for 1 game. They don't need a starter necessarily because Yeldon has been fine, just getting beat up. So no, it doesn't make sense for an NFL team to trade for a player to plan to need him one game, especually one that isn't a clear upgrade to what you already have.  The point of the conversation you jumped into was if the Jags traded for Hyde for 1 game or not. I find that awfully unlikely. Yes, RB is an easy transition comparatively, but that wasn't the main point of the conversation. Stating that the transition from team to team or college to pro was easy was weird since it would make sense to not spend millions and a draft pick if it is such an easy transition. The conversation was specifically about the intent the Jags have for Hyde and not a hypothetical about Derrick Henry and Todd Gurley. 

3 hours ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Hyde is getting paid $5M this season, so not exactly cheap. So I agree with everything you wrote above about the trade making total sense from Cleveland’s side. From Jacksonville’s perspective, however, this trade doesn’t really make sense UNLESS Fournette is still going to be out for an extended period of time. Hence the assumption by myself and many others that Fournette must not be as close to returning as they’re letting on. Actions speak louder than words.

heap in as cheap for the jaguears vs pursuing  lesean orbell. Sure they could have went after abdullah but his play is not on the level of hyde where he can step in immediately and make an impact. hyde probably has about 3mm left on this seasons contract so i think that peanuts for jax to absorb for fournette insurance along with the option to restructure  the rest of his contract in 2019 if fournette has more injury complications in the offseason

Edited by dashoe

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Are you that sure? 

I think it’s a perfect place the Jags want to run the ball. Hyde immediately takes over 

* Any news about Hyde play ping this week? 

Hyde is out this week and if your an owner of any Jags RB now how you do know who to play?  Hyde was getting production based on volume, he wont get that in Jax. Fournette is a waste, and Yeldon has one last week of relevancy until you can drop him.  I'll admit to being a salty LF, Yeldon, and Hyde owner and this trade just basically sunk my season as I saw my ownership of 2 teams RBs shrink to 1, but yet I have 3 roster spots taken up by these 3 now useless players.  The best case scenario is they IR Fournette at this point to at least make the choices a little less murky, but that's expecting to much out of these fools running things in Jax.

2 hours ago, esprits4s said:

Yes, but if Fournette does go on IR, Hyde could be interesting.  The Jags have been around so many times with Yeldon, and he has never been the answer for more than a few games.

I have Hyde, and will drop him if needed, but I hope to keep him until things clarify.

Hyde is a volume dependent jag at this point, at least he got traded to the rightfully named team...

53 minutes ago, TheINC said:

Hyde is out this week and if your an owner of any Jags RB now how you do know who to play?  Hyde was getting production based on volume, he wont get that in Jax. Fournette is a waste, and Yeldon has one last week of relevancy until you can drop him.  I'll admit to being a salty LF, Yeldon, and Hyde owner and this trade just basically sunk my season as I saw my ownership of 2 teams RBs shrink to 1, but yet I have 3 roster spots taken up by these 3 now useless players.  The best case scenario is they IR Fournette at this point to at least make the choices a little less murky, but that's expecting to much out of these fools running things in Jax.

On the contrary.  I think this trade saved your bacon.  You will almost certainly end up with at least one highly useful back out of that group.  If I had to bet which one, I would bet Hyde since he is the healthiest.

22 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

On the contrary.  I think this trade saved your bacon.  You will almost certainly end up with at least one highly useful back out of that group.  If I had to bet which one, I would bet Hyde since he is the healthiest.

I mean Yeldon was already performing like a back end rb1. Fournette owners who also had Yeldon weren’t really doing that bad. It wasn’t ideal but Yeldon could keep the ship afloat. Now it’s very likely that Hyde and Yeldon render eachother useless and when Fournette comes back, he likely won’t be used as a workhorse.

I do not believe Hyde was brought in to be a full time workhorse, which is what a guy of his talent level needs to be a strong producer.

Edited by MJJ28
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MJJ28 said:

I mean Yeldon was already performing like a back end rb1. Fournette owners who also had Yeldon weren’t really doing that bad. It wasn’t ideal but Yeldon could keep the ship afloat. Now it’s very likely that Hyde and Yeldon render eachother useless and when Fournette comes back, he likely won’t be used as a workhorse.

Nah, I don't think so.  If Jacksonville was at all happy with Yeldon, who laid an egg against Dallas, they probably would not have traded for Hyde.  Jacksonville wants to dominate teams with their power run game, sit on the ball to rest their defense, and limit Bortles to the greatest extent possible.  Yeldon is not really the back for that.  Starting in week 8, it will likely be Hyde as the main man until Fournette is 100% healthy.

Edited by SharkSwimmer

I don’t fully understand how Jamaal Charles was active after being signed from the street a few days earlier, yet Hyde is inactive after the same thing.