Sign in to follow this  
JoeJoe88

Carlos Hyde 2018 Outlook

Has there been any word on how involved he's been in practices? Is he repping with the first team, etc..?

I lost a lot of enthusiasm for Hyde for this week when I read that the Jaguars are on starting their 3rd string left tackle.  And also how Philadelphia has been devouring opposing running games.

On 10/21/2018 at 7:42 AM, nb009 said:

Hope he’s inactive. Can’t risk playing him. Might as well free up a roster spot with IR.

Absolutely no way is Hyde inactive this week.

Most likely, Yeldon will again be the starter this week with Hyde getting most of the backup reps, but that's only because Hyde has barely had a chance to look at the playbook. Ideally, Hyde would start because Yeldon is more of a change-of-pace type of RB. He's a good one because so darn sneaky and agile, but he's great at coming in off the bench or on 3rd downs and making plays immediately. He's also pretty good as a pass blocker picking up blitzes. He's not that feature RB who generally needs to build up carries before he's mowing down players. That's a role Hyde would better fit. 

1 minute ago, Jags02 said:

Absolutely no way is Hyde inactive this week.

Most likely, Yeldon will again be the starter this week with Hyde getting most of the backup reps, but that's only because Hyde has barely had a chance to look at the playbook. Ideally, Hyde would start because Yeldon is more of a change-of-pace type of RB. He's a good one because so darn sneaky and agile, but he's great at coming in off the bench or on 3rd downs and making plays immediately. He's also pretty good as a pass blocker picking up blitzes. He's not that feature RB who generally needs to build up carries before he's mowing down players. That's a role Hyde would better fit. 

I was referring to last week..

On 10/21/2018 at 9:34 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

If you can get Fournette for nothing, yes I agree.  I doubt it is possible, though, as Fournette owners likely believe Fournette will return after the bye and put up RB1 numbers down the stretch.

I have to think that will be the case, but then again I was pretty sure Fournette would start this week in London. It's just amazing he's been out this long with a hammy, but that's still all it is. The Jaguars nickel back is about to miss his 6th game for a toe injury. It's not your daddy's NFL.

The only fear I would have as a Fournette owner is that Hyde might get some of his carries. More to the point, when Fournette returns you might even see a straight up RB-by-committee with Fournette, Hyde and Yeldon all getting a fairly similar number of reps. Hopefully, for Fournette owners, they'll feed Fournette as the starter once he returns with Hyde getting the backup reps and Yeldon getting all the 3rd down reps.

12 minutes ago, nb009 said:

I was referring to last week..

That makes way more sense especially considering he was inactive.

So, are you starting Hyde this week? I would definitely start him if I had him, but I don't exactly have the best flex players.

Edited by Jags02

On 10/24/2018 at 1:49 PM, Gohawks said:

Being a goal line back for that pathetic offense means very little. 

He might be more than that even if he does end up being Fournette's backup. Oh, and, btw, Fournette is probably getting those goalline reps.

Still, the Jaguars want to run the ball for two reasons. One, it's their identity that they want to get back to having led the league in rushing last year. The other is that they really want Bortles to be able to throw less. They're determined to cut down on turnovers, and the best way for them to do that is to just hand the ball off. Fournette will probably get the bulk of carries (unless they do go to a committee approach), but there should be plenty of reps to split between them as long as they're productive going forward. 

On 10/24/2018 at 3:58 PM, kball09 said:

I mean, the way this offense has looked, they'll be behind and throwing pretty early. Seems like it's all Yeldon until they figure things out.

Possibly, but the Jaguars really do play well in London. If the Jaguars defense gets back on track, they should be able to contain the Eagles offense, and with their emphasis this particular week on turnovers, you should probably expect a couple. Offensively, they really do want to run the ball this weekend, and if they can control the clock like they were accustomed to doing last year, there just might be some very sad Hyde and Yeldon owners who benched their RB this weekend. 

4 minutes ago, Jags02 said:

He might be more than that even if he does end up being Fournette's backup. Oh, and, btw, Fournette is probably getting those goalline reps.

Still, the Jaguars want to run the ball for two reasons. One, it's their identity that they want to get back to having led the league in rushing last year. The other is that they really want Bortles to be able to throw less. They're determined to cut down on turnovers, and the best way for them to do that is to just hand the ball off. Fournette will probably get the bulk of carries (unless they do go to a committee approach), but there should be plenty of reps to split between them as long as they're productive going forward. 

I think if they take the committee approach, Hyde's role becomes really muddled.  His role as a back is filled with Fournette's skillset.  Yeldon offers something different as a change of pace, so I see him getting more burn than Hyde given the game script.  Sure they gave up a 5th round pick, so one would think they would force feed Hyde even when Lournette comes back, but I just don't see his workload being reliably startable in that scenario.  

If Fournette returns at 100% health, Hyde is a handcuff with no stand-alone value.  If Fournette can't get over his hamstring woes, and the Jags O-line gets healthy?  Hyde is an RB1.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jgcarolina said:

I think if they take the committee approach, Hyde's role becomes really muddled.  His role as a back is filled with Fournette's skillset.  Yeldon offers something different as a change of pace, so I see him getting more burn than Hyde given the game script.  Sure they gave up a 5th round pick, so one would think they would force feed Hyde even when Lournette comes back, but I just don't see his workload being reliably startable in that scenario.  

On the CBS Fantasy Football podcast Jamie Eisenberg mention he spoke with a source near the team that stated they were going to feed Hyde a lot. Philly has a tough D-line, so I could easily see yeldon coming out on 3rd downs and two minute drills

7 minutes ago, the_dying_dream said:

On the CBS Fantasy Football podcast Jamie Eisenberg mention he spoke with a source near the team that stated they were going to feed Hyde a lot. Philly has a tough D-line, so I could easily see yeldon coming out on 3rd downs and two minute drills

Right, I think he's startable this weekend.  I'm just not sure how his role plays out when Fournette comes back.  

3 hours ago, Jgcarolina said:

Right, I think he's startable this weekend.  I'm just not sure how his role plays out when Fournette comes back.  

When he comes back he'll be strictly change-of-pace and primary backup. Fournette is one of the best running backs in the league he's just stupid injury-prone

Two different answers the last 2/3 pages 

full workhorse or time share 

In Cleveland Hyde was a start every week 

I am facing a dilemma only have one hour to decide. 

Hyde is facing a tough run D in the Eagles ? 

We shall see 

29 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Two different answers the last 2/3 pages 

full workhorse or time share 

In Cleveland Hyde was a start every week 

I am facing a dilemma only have one hour to decide. 

Hyde is facing a tough run D in the Eagles ? 

We shall see 

His role down the road is in question, but it sounds like the Jaguars plan to feed him this week. I said above that Yeldon probably starts with Hyde getting the backup reps, but I'm starting to think it's the other way around. It may depend on who else is on your roster, but on my roster, I would easily start Hyde if I had him. 

i would luv to start him but its risky from the point of how bortles and the jags D  has been playing...i have to stay away

Didn’t get to watch the game at all, but that box score doesn’t really tell anything worthwhile

This probably ended my fantasy season. Why did they trade a draft pick for him if they had no desire of using him? So they just played Yeldon as per usual and lost per usual. Everybody on that coaching staff should be fired. I understand nothing with the NFL, other than the Patriots.

He got 1 carry after halftime and all but like 1 play was out of shotgun.... mind boggling we hate bortles we may start cody Kessler nah we will start blake and rely on him and no run game whatsoever.... biggest coach speak week yet.... and effed because of it...might as well milk boar hogs.... cause it's the same as having hyde right now..... squat...

Worth stashing? He was dropped in several leagues.